BetterBidding Upgrade

thereuare
By thereuare,
in

Unless this is your first time here (Welcome :) ) you can see that we have upgraded the board since your last visit.

We're very excited about this upgrade, not only does it give the board a more modern look/feel, but it also provides us a foundation for us to build upon, using the latest technology available.

We have a lot of ideas and projects which we intend on implementing over the next few days, weeks, and months ahead. As always, we welcome your own suggestions for features which you would like to see, and ask that you send them to us via the PM system (which incidentally has been upgraded in this new release)

There are still a few issues still to work out, so please be patient. However, feel free to add any bugs/broken links in a reply to this thread so that we can take corrective action.

Hope everyone enjoys the new layout and features. As time permits i'll add replies to this thread highlighting many of them.

As always, a BIG THANK YOU to my family who have had to spend a little less time with me over the last few months as i became consumed with this project; as well as to all of our members for their support over the years and helping this board develop into the great community that it has become. I'm very excited about what's to come and for the future of BetterBidding.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Wow, just got one of the HP Touchpads and figuring out the new interface with it is a bit daunting. Look to be able to type in city as before, and all I can get is a selection of states. Wasn't able to even find the city I was looking for on the list. Maybe it doesn't have any entries(???)... Look is definitely better/more attractive, but I guess until I pull up the same site on a regular computer, I won't know if the issues I'm having are particular to my Touchpad.

Wow, just got one of the HP Touchpads and figuring out the new interface with it is a bit daunting. Look to be able to type in city as before, and all I can get is a selection of states. Wasn't able to even find the city I was looking for on the list. Maybe it doesn't have any entries(???)... Look is definitely better/more attractive, but I guess until I pull up the same site on a regular computer, I won't know if the issues I'm having are particular to my Touchpad.

If you look just below the big orange Search, there is a smaller italicized one. You can put a specific city name there, select Forums and hit the little magnifying glass. Works quite nicely, assuming there are prior entries for the particular city.

Romelle

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and encouragement. I'll try comment on some of the above.

I try to think of the different search boxes at the top of the board in this sense: The light blue search box provides easy access to a section of the board... whereas the smaller search box below it allows you to drill down for specific information you're looking for. There is a LOT of information on the board and it can be daunting for a new user where to turn first, so the bigger search box provides a broad and easy place for them to start... and it helps veteran users quickly navigate to a section of the site they may want to go to.

Whereas the larger search box and predefined inputs, the smaller search box allows you to search for specific words, hotel chains, cities, zones, etc. As well, for those of you who enjoyed our QUICK SEARCH which was previously in the blue banner at the top of the board, it's still available by changing the dropdown menu from 'forums' to 'QUICK SEARCH'.

One of the biggest changes users will notices is when posting to the board. When posting a win a new search form is provided with auto-fill drop down menus... just begin typing the city/zone and choose from the 'suggestions' (if you're the first to report a hotel in that zone then just continued typing to fill out the form)... same applies for hotel names. Users can now also edit their topic titles from 'help request' to 'win'. If you start a thread which eventually turns into a win, click the "EDIT TO REPORT WIN" button which allows you to edit the topic title (using the new interface with dropdown menus). This 'EDIT TO REPORT WIN' button is only shown to the original poster of the thread, and once used, it disappears for them as well.

One other feature i'll highlight at this time is when viewing the topic titles on the board (either when scanning a particular state forum OR after doing a search). As you hover your mouse over a given row, toward the right of that 'cell' (next to the 'Started By' users name) you'll see the TOPIC PREVIEW button. Click this and a window will open which allows you to see both the first and last post of the thread, without having to load an entirely new page. From here you can get a feel for the thread and decide to read further or move on to the next topic.

Oh yeah, and the TOOLS link/tab under the word 'bidding' in the header is a dropdown menu which offers all of the tools we've developed to help travelers with their plans and find the best deals, including the Calendar of Wins.

Keep the questions/comments coming and thanks again for all the kinds comments :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Great upgrades, a fresh look, kudos, I almost didn't recognize the board.

With regards to the tools menu, I cannot get this tab to drop down, I am using safari on my iPad.

As usual, I agree with dahammer's remarks. Unfortunately, this time I also have to agree that I can't get the Tools drop down to do anything..... I'm also using Safari, but iMac desktop. Comcast ISP.

Still, for a new roll-out a totally amazing amount of things are indeed working correctly. I look forward to using the new hotel reporting features.

Romelle

Thanks for the continued positive feedback (and for anyone who i'm behind on replying to via email or PM please accept my apologies and know i'll do my best to reply as soon as possible)

Can anyone using apple/mac/safari please confirm that the TOOLS menu when clicked now produces a dropdown menu as intended?

Also, the search boxes at the bottom of the page should now work too (they're fully functional, although i'll fix a tabbing issue i discovered in the next few days)

Thanks again for reporting any issues.

I just got an odd result. I slipped, and clicked on the little green and white magnifying glass by the second search, but before I'd actually filled out something in the Search area.

The result - the system searched on the word "search" which is there already in pale gray, in the Forums area (also already there in pale gray). Two results came back - two threads that contained the word "search" in the Forums area.

Maybe, to save your computer doing all that unnecessary hunting, you could give an error message when the magnifying glass is clicked without anything new actually being entered in the boxes?

Romelle

PS - While I'm at it, how come the top left heading says "Priceline and Hotwire HOTEL bidding, Help and Advice" but doesn't mention rental auto and airline tickets?

PPS - In the Help feature Contacting the Moderating Team and Contacting the Staff are very similar. Perhaps they could be combined into just one? Also, the My Assistant topic has a couple typos - seperate s/b separate and tabs s/b tab.

it's working with my iPad/safari

Glad to hear this has been fixed... thanks for the confirmation.

What happened to the Priceline calendar of wins?? I found it the best thing here.

Of course it's still here with multiple ways to access:

1) Click the TOOLS tab under the words "Hotel Bidding Help" at the top of the board and select the calendar of wins from the drop down menu

2) on the top right of the board, the "Double Search Box", click the first window of "I Want to See..." and choose the Calendar of Wins (currently the last entry in the list)

3) try this link: Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins

When I click on an alphabet letter to get to those Hotel Reviews I get the following message:

"[#404] Sorry, we could not locate the page you are requesting to view. Please click here to return back to the forum's home"

iMac, Safari browser, Comcast ISP.

I wasn't looking for me, just trying to nudge another new member into using it. He wanted an opinion on a Sofitel. I also directed him to Tripadvisor.

Romelle

When I click on an alphabet letter to get to those Hotel Reviews I get the following message:

"[#404] Sorry, we could not locate the page you are requesting to view. Please click here to return back to the forum's home"

This just needs some code which i haven't gotten around to yet... it's an easy fix, but requires a separate file for each alphabet letter, which will therefore take some time.

Thank for letting me know/the reminder.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SPRINGTRAVEL

(any Hotel, Car, or Flight where Coupon is accepted / max $60 discount... expires 03/24/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]