Free WiFi Report

scottlevin
By scottlevin,
in

I don't think there are any implication in terms of bidding unless you are specifically trying to find hotels that don't charge for internet access, which you can kind of do, but it ain't easy and not foolproof either.

The way I look at it is that if I can save $50-150 a night for a hotel room through a HOTWIRE or PRICELINE booking, that is by my definition, found money. And with found money, I will do other things with it, like buy a nice dinner somewhere or pay for internet access that doesn't rely on hijacking someone's unsecure and unstable signal.

Proud to be Canadian!

there are always exceptions, but free wifi is more of a function of hotel brand than star rating, since ratings are subjective. PRICELINE's 3* is different from that of another site such as Travelocity or Expedia. Holiday Inn's typically don't charge for wifi, but the star rating can range between 2* and 3* for this brand. Hilton hotels are often rated 3* yet they typically charge for wifi. There are exceptions to the rule if you are a member of the hotel's affinity program and status level: silver, gold might get this fee waived.

That said, I don't recall getting charged for wifi at any 2.5* hotels in the past 3 years.

I agree with the last post. I've stayed at a couple of 4 and 5* hotels that didn't charge for internet access, or you had to apply for a free membership in the hotel's loyalty program (for example: The Fairmont chain). I've also stayed at 2.5-3.5* hotels that both charged and didn't charge. Again, it depends on the branding, the individual hotel's management, and the kind of target market the hotel serves. For example, if you stayed in a downtown hotel that during the week catered to more of a business crowd, I would expect a charge for internet, as it is assumed that the charge is being expensed or written off. Then there is the thought that if a hotel is considered a premium hotel, if you can't afford the charge for internet access, you shouldn't be able to afford the hotel itself.

You also have to realize that a hotel is going to squeeze out as much revenue on incidental charges as much as they can. The room rates are very elastic, in the sense that a room is perishable. If they don't fill the room on any given night, they get no incremental revenue, so opaque and rack rates are dependent on their expected occupancy rate. If a city is hosting the Olympics or a Super Bowl, the hotel can command top dollar. But for a business hotel, chances are the hotel is going be at something much less than capacity on the weekend, so the room rates drop accordingly. Things like room service, charges for phone calls, internet access, parking, etc. are priced inelastically, because you either want the service and pay for it, or don't.

Proud to be Canadian!

• 2 weeks later...

I have not noticed a correlation between star rating and charging for Internet. Some hotels that charge for Internet in rooms have it for free in the lobby. Also, with Kimpton hotels, Internet is free for members of its loyalty program - all you need to do is sign up.

Another factor seems to be the size of the hotel. The bigger hotels with lots of rooms and floors tend to charge for Internet, probably because more bandwidth and hardware is required. Whereas smaller hotels usually provide free Internet. Based on my past stays at hotels.

• 3 weeks later...

the assumption is that business travellers won't complain because they just put the wifi charge on their expense report and its a way for a hotel to clip guests for another $12.

I prefer to stay in 2.5* accomodations when possible because more often than not, they offer free internet and breakfast, about a $20 savings or more.

• 3 weeks later...

2 star almost always offers free internet and comp breakfast

3 star is 50/50 on the internet aspect and if they do offer free breakfast the breakfast is just a notch above the 2 star ratings

hilton charges 10 for adults and 4,95 for kids for breakfast. if u have a wifi hotspot account u will be able to get on most hotel wifi networks.

2.5 star has always given both free breakfast and internet that i know of.

3.5 and above i have always been charged for both plus parking in some hotels. its best to call ahead and check. these fees can bring your overall cost u[p so staying at a 2 star hotel may be more cost effective overall while still being a good hotel in most areas.

just my opinion. parking and internet and breakfast can add over $30-$50 a night to your stay so its worth a look at.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Red Roof Inns, the cheap sibling in the Accor group (along with Motel 6), doesn't offer WiFi or breakfast. Take a look on Hotwire and when you see 2* with laundry as the only amenity, you can guess who it is. Since Priceline doesn't list amenities when you bid, there is no way to be certain. If there's a McDonald's or Starbucks nearby you can use theirs, like the locals, or go to a local library.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]