NY NYC InterContinental The Barclay

golfgirl
By golfgirl,
in

Good location and good rooms. Some are a little smaller, but it's NYC. Beds are very comfortable. Front desk/concierge staff weren't the most helpful. A tip: there's an entrance 1/2 a block west from the hotel (48th and Park, I believe) that takes you directly to Grand Central Station via an underground walkway - great when the weather is bad.

• 3 weeks later...

MTE: Just returned from my stay at the Intercontinental Barclay in Manhatten 48th & Lexington . Feb 27-29/04. Hotwire for $146

What a beautiful hotel!! A total class act!! We had a beautiful room on the 6th floor facing the intersection of 48th/Lexington. Two double beds, spacious room, with desk and a chair. Pedastal sink in the bathroom, half circle type shower rod. The room was very well decorated. NY times delivered daily. The staff was wonderful, very friendly, very helpful. They also credited me for points with Priority Club. (I am a member).

A block away is Grand Central subway station and a Starbucks for AM Java. FYI...the hotel does provide coffee pots in the room but the coffee must be purchased from the wet bar/snack supply in the room). We decided not to buy it from the room supply (don't know what the cost would be) and instead took the 1 block walk to Starbucks. Handy convenient store on the corner also less than a block away & shopping.

Across the street from the hotel on one side is the Marriott and the Raddison is in eye's view. Around the corner is the Waldorf Astoria.

Took a cab over to Times Square very late one night cost: less that $4

I loved this hotel and will definitely stay there again. I also walked into the W Hotel at Times Square for a look. Very interesting, modern & very trendy. Young crowd. May try that also.

Thanks thereareu for opeing my eyes to trying other areas. Thanks to all for this board and the help. Plan to go again in March will keep you posted.

• 3 months later...

I posted MTE for $150 and got the Intercontinental for 6/19. It came to $178 including taxes and fees. They have valet service for $38 per day with in and out privileges which is a convenience in NYC. The Lobby was grand and beautiful. The service was a tad bit slow, they needed more people at the desk. They were able to accommodate my request for two double beds. The rooms were comfortable and had all the amenities. The facilities- well kept and delightfully decorated. Great location, close to Grand Central Station, 5th Ave, and Times Square, without all the hustle and bustle.

• 4 weeks later...

Stayed one night 7/15/2004 for $139 on Priceline.

No added charges.

We were very pleased. This is a historic nicely renovated hotel. Good location right off Park Ave. near shopping.

Beautiful hotel definently 4* small bath, but our room was a nice size even with a King bed.

I would recommend and stay again.

• 2 years later...

Loved the Barclay. Felt like we hit the jackpot getting this room for 140. Everything was great and we couldn't have asked for a better deal. There is free coffee with a coffee pot in the room. Someone posted you had to pay for the coffee out of the mini bar and that's not so. I would definitely stay there again. It's way nicer, in my opinion, than those huge hotels. Loved it! Thanks Priceline!!! :)

• 2 months later...

Really nice hotel. Big spacious rooms and a great location. Only drawbacks were the wireless internet was only available for free in the lobby. In the room all they had was a ethernet jack that was $7 for an hour. Also, no free coffee which was aggrevating. No coffee maker in the room and none in the lobby. Would stay there again for the price though.

• 5 months later...

Stayed at the barclay for one night between 29th and 30th March, 2007 for $110. The room was spotless, and very well done. In the middle of NYC, I suppose this was the best view I could ask for... one overlooking the Waldorf Astoria. Great location, since the hotel sits half a block from an underground tunnel to Grand Central station, and the Grayline tour has a stop at the Waldorf Astoria on its downtown loop. My room did have a coffemaker, although it was written that only the first cup of coffee was complimentary. The staff were helpful, though may be a little overbearing at times. On the phone, they sounded downright rude. NYC culture? I don't know. The other thing is that, while the rooms are very nicely done, it still doesn't keep out the noise. COuld hear every word of a conversation out in the corridor at 11 pm.

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd follow up on my stay at the Intercon Barclay.

Overall, the hotel was very nice. The room was small - no surprise for NY - but relatively clean and well done. Considering it is a non-smoking hotel, i am curious as to where the strong cigarette smell was coming from. Bathroom was nice - not sure where all the tripadvisor complaints about the bathrooms come from

The only downside of the room (besides smell of smoke) was the bed - I have had more comfortable beds in $70 airport motels. The matress support was completely collapsed and they tried to compensate and give the felling that it was nice by putting a thick featherbed pad on top of the matress.

The food and other services at the hotel were stupidly expensive, but there are lots of cheap laces to grab breakfast or lunch across the street and within a 2 block radius. Internet access (if you dont have a laptop) is much chepaer at any Fedex Kinkos, the closest being 3rd and 47th - 2 blocks away, and apparently free at all NY public libraries.

The best part was the view. The whole west side of the building looks onto a wall, most of the north side looks onto the Waldorf and most of the south side looks onto the JPMorgan building. Having booked at a discount, I had assumed that we woudl get put in a crappy room.

Was very pleasently surprised when we were put on the South Side of the South East wing (facing 48th) of the 13th floor (14 floors total) with an amazing view of the Chrysler Building. Given the suroundings, not many rooms in the hotel have a view of this, so it more than made up for the bed! Was great to sit there with beer in hand after long day, looking at the lights of what, in my opinion, is one of the most beautiful buildings in NYC.

Given the price, I didnt see much lower than that after I booked, so quite happy with the value.

• 3 months later...

I had a pretty good stay at the Intercontinental Barclay...

It has certainly changed a lot over the past 8 years since i was there back in 2000.

Anyway, when I checked in, I received an Executive King room; however, I knew there was something fishy going on when they claimed they only had the 4th floor available, despite my request for a high floor. They gave me room 452, while it was clean and of a good size (300 square feet), it was VERY VERY noisy because of construction right across the street...definitely the Priceline treatment there!

Yes, internet was something like $15/day...however I managed to tap into the internet from the Marriott across the street by entering a fictitious name/room number combination and it worked...SCORE!

Overall, an alright stay...and it looks like I'm going back there at the beginning of November; which brings me to my next point...

This evening, I called to specify my preferences, and I got a very snippy front desk clerk who downright refused to even look at my reservation and insisted that I call central reservations, which usually cannot handle these things.

Well, lets see what management has to say about that!

• 3 months later...

Ugh! Got Pricelined again by this place...on this stay at least the room was quiet, but it was in a TERRIBLE location! It was on the 14th floor facing an office building, with very little natural light and absolutely no cell phone reception! I forget what the room number was...maybe 1413...

Beware!

I just wanted to follow up on our stay, which we were quite happy with.

They gave us a room with two double beds on the top (14th) floor. The beds were comfortable, the room was clean, and the bathroom was nice. The "cons" were minor: the room was pretty small, and even from the top floor the street sounds were very loud. Seriously, whenever there was a siren it sounded like it was right outside our window.

For our purposes, location was great. We took a short walk up 48th street and were at Rockefeller Center. A few more blocks from there was Times Square. Several different subway stations were within a few blocks (including Grand Central). There were 2 Starbucks nearby, and a place right around the corner with pizza, pasta, and salads.

The hotel bar is crazy expensive. We got a couple of drinks there one cold and snowy night out of convenience, and prices started at $9 for a beer and went up sharply from there. Yikes.

We'd stay there again.

• 2 months later...

Great stay here. Felt no Priceline bias. We received the room type we requested. The hotel was actually nicer than I expected and the room was quite large. I would have been happy to stay here booking conventially, and especially pleased I got the room via Priceline for a large discount.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a room for 120 USD/night, stayed 4 nights btw 24-28 of april. Really great service, got a superior room at 11th floor, corner of 48th/Lex. King size bed, very cleen room, helpful staff. Smooth check in/check out. Was scared of getting a small room and bad service since I only paid like half the price when using Hotwire, but no :) I've stayed at many NYC hotels but this is the first time I used HW. Will def. use it again and would love to stay at The Barclay again.

Perfect midtown location, just a short walk to 5th av and Times sq, but still not in the tourist centre, just walk two blocks east to 3rd and 2nd avenue, there you have a quiet neighbourhood with small diners and nice restaurants :)

//Annika, Sweden

• 2 years later...

Just returned from 8 nights at the Intercontinental Barclay for leisure travel (July 5-13, 2011).

All-in-all, a decent hotel for the price ($160/night). The location was ideal, 3 blocks from subway at 51 & Lexington and the #6 Train took us to the majority of our destinations in Uptown and Downtown Manhattan. We discovered a few really good places to grab a quick bite within a couple blocks of the hotel: a pizza place with the most delicious "slices" and it was convenient late at night. It was 2 doors off the corner of 48th & Lexington; Grand Central Station has a lovely food market on street level and then down one level is a decent food court with a Magnolia Bakery in it.

The rooms are very small albeit we did have two double beds in our room. The way the furniture is situated, it was difficult to make efficient use of the 2 chairs in the room.

The lobby is beautiful, the front-end staff very professional and service oriented.

The negatives, however:

6 out of 8 days we were awakened by the hotel cleaning staff chatting in the hallway. At one point they carried on for 15 minutes and I had to open the door and ask them to be quiet. On day #6 I reported to the front desk that we had been awakened 5 out of 6 mornings by the hallway chit-chat. The guy at the desk said he would deal with it promptly. On day #7 we were awakened yet again by hallway chatter.

The room keys never seemed to work for longer than 2 days at a time. We continually had to get them reprogrammed or replaced (3 times during our stay).

The website states rooms come with robes. We never saw one in 8 days.

Almost daily we had to leave a note requesting shampoo/conditioner and regular coffee (not decaf). One day we did not leave a note and we returned to no shampoo/conditioner, no coffee and no coffee condiments. The shower supplies that were restocked were never consistent. Some days we had shampoo & no body wash, then one day we got 5 body wash & 1 shampoo.

The carpet appeared to never have been vacuumed even one time during our stay.

The flusher on the toilet dripped and left puddles of water on the floor on occasion (not every day).

The bathroom is very tiny. The marble ledges to place bathroom items are very narrow (my guess is about 6-7") so not wide enough to place my bathroom bag without being concerned it would fall into the toilet or onto the floor. Only a very small double hook on the back of the bathroom door in which to hang clothes while showering.

The bedding is feather (tic & duvet). My roommate is allergic and the bedding was changed promptly after placing a call via the "instant service" button, however I noticed my feather duvet had blood stains on it.

We did not depart the hotel until later afternoon so checked our luggage with the bellhop. We tipped him $1 for each bag to store it, then again tipped $1 each bag when we picked up the bags. We took our bags to the curb ourself. The doormen lifted the luggage into the trunk and as we got into the car one doorman says to the other "Canadians!", which was my cue that he was expecting a tip for lifting the luggage into the trunk. We had just tipped $8 to the bellhops but after overhearing that comment I handed him $5.00. That soured my final impression of the staff at the Intercontinental Barclay.

~Brenda~ (Vancouver, BC)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]