Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) Grand Hyatt

kmhtkmhtkmht
By kmhtkmhtkmht,
in

Decided on Priceline as opposed to the usual $659.00 a night normally payable to the Mandarin Oriental, here is my first bidding experience so far.

My required dates are 3/24 - 3/29 staying for 5 nights.

4 Star - Upper Midtown - Central Park South - $110.00 REJECTED

4 Star - Upper Midtown - Central Park South, Midtown West - $120.00 REJECTED

Restarted Another Browser

4 Star - Upper Midtown - Central Park South - $130.00 REJECTED

4 Star - Upper Midtown - Central Park South, Midtown West - $140.00 REJECTED

Restarted Another Browser - Realizing that I did not really understand the concept of rebidding at all - my understanding on it is choosing another area that does not a 4* hotel in it, something perhaps in the middle of nowhere in another state and then still obviously maintaining my originally requested NYC Zone so I give up for now - QUESTION: What zone in New York doesn't have a 4 star hotel?! I am presuming the Upper West and Upper East Side?

So is the tactic, bid on desired 4* zone and if rejected rebid including the Upper West/East side and a higher bid?

Bearing my understanding in mind, I rebid:

4 Star - Upper Midtown - Central Park South, Upper West Side - $150.00 REJECTED

4 Star - Upper Midtown - Central Park South, Upper West Side, Upper East Side - $155.00 STILL REJECTED!

What am I doing right and wrong?!

I restarted with my new found knowledge and now I am greeted with "We were not able to process this request since our records indicate you have already made a request for this same trip. " when trying out:

4 Star - Upper Midtown - Central Park South - $123.00 REJECTED

4 Star - Upper Midtown - Central Park South, Upper West Side - $134.00 REJECTED

4 Star - Upper Midtown - Central Park South, Upper West Side, Upper East Side - $160.00 STILL REJECTED! (Greeted with "We were not able to process this request since our records indicate you have already made a request for this same trip.")

PLEASE ADVISE!

Thanks for your prompt reply!

I have indeed read and digested the ideas presented in that post and have made adjustments as further down my original post reflects - still struggling though...

Further More:

New Tactics Adopted...

4 Star - Midtown East - $101 REJECTED

4 Star - Midtown East, Upper Midtown - Central Park South - $111.00 - REJECTED

4 Star - Midtown East, Upper Midtown - Central Park South, Upper West Side - $122.00 - REJECTED

4 Star - Midtown East, Upper Midtown - Central Park South, Upper West Side, Upper East Side - $131.00 - REJECTED

<Giving Up For NOW!>

PLEASE ADVISE!

Welcome!

First off, what is the most you are willing to spend? On Hotwire, what appears to be the Grand Hyatt is $184 for your dates. Would this be your price to beat?

Second, what areas are you looking to stay in? UM-CPS/MTE/MTW ?

You eventually figured out what areas are your free rebid areas. Once you let us know your maximum bid and what areas you want, we will give you a better bidding plan.

Realistically anything under $659.00 a NIGHT is good, that is what I would've paid Mandarin Oriental. Ideally I would like anything on the East Side. 4*+ and generally decent, as I keep reading folk paying under $150 a night I don't think it would've been necessary to surpass that $184.00 price!

Area wise I prefer Midtown East, Midtown West and Upper Midtown - Central Park South in order of preference... ( I grew up and love the East Side therefore I prefer it )

After 24 hours from your last bid this is how i would proceed:

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks indeed - I will proceed in about 18 hours from now with your instructions.

Why do I or people pay upwards of $659.00 A Night when all you really do is sleep - I understand special occasions and such or to impress people but why? Surely when visiting a foreign location you should be spending time OUT of the room as opposed to IN the room! I understand furthermore that corporate clients couldn't care less and how much % of their travel accounts for these "premium" places like the Mandarine Oriental's sales?!

My revelation not to spend that kinda money was simply when I realized that I just sleep and shower in the hotel room, I've got enough other errands to do when I will be visiting New York so anything $184 and under I'll be cool!

Hi Newbie. (and others)

That is exactly what i did also checking daily 2 time's on hotwire.

mostly for my date the 4* price was above $200.

then allover sudden i saw a 131$ offeron Hotwire. I posted the Hotel amenities here and ThereUare told me most possible it was the Barclay. Then i checkedout the Barclay on Tripadvisor and decided that would be OK for me to stay. Then i went to priceline first clicked $5 for annulation. then bidded $100, got the message bid 22 more and we have a hotel. so i bidded 22 more and got the 4*Barclay.

(This is MAYBE! important) I also got an offer on priceline to EXTEND my stay for the same price several days!

I checked my date's yesterday and the price went up to 169 i just checked again and the price went up to 190!

I dont know why that is ? But i sure am glad i checked Hotwire twice a day and saw the 131 offer!

the 190 that shows up for me today is not the barclay i think because the amenities are different.

restaurant,fitness,spa,business centre.

(date's march 31-april 3).

Take Care.

Bid History

MTE 120 Rejected

MTE + UWS 125 Rejected

MTE + UWS + UES 130 Rejected

Close Browser

MTW 120 Rejected

MTW + UWS 125 Rejected

MTW + UWS + UES 130 Rejected

Close Browser

UM/CPS 120 Rejected

UM/CPS + UWS 125 Rejected

UM/CPS + UWS + UES 131 REJECTED!

Close Browser

MTE + MTW WON! $136.00 Offer Accepted

Grand Hyatt New York... How did I do?! Total trip price 800 odd - I did much better than what I would've paid at the Mandarin Oriental! I reckon with tax it would've been 800 a night!

p.s. I was given the chance to extend my stay if I wanted to!

You guys reckon when I get there I could bribe the desk agent with 200 dollars for an upgrade?

You guys reckon when I get there I could bribe the desk agent with 200 dollars for an upgrade?

You still don't want to hold onto your money, do you? :)

If you know what you want you could try $20 and ask specifically for what you want (ie- "any complimentayr upgrades available for a larger suite-type room" or "this is my first time in NYC, anything available up high wiht a nice view"). There is debate whether money actually works and if you can get the same thing just for asking, but i think a little money always goes a long way (although i have yet to tip a front desk clerk myself.... was going to recently in Hawaii but just didn't get the right 'feel' from the clerk)

This hotel was recently renovated about 2 years ago and since then the reviews have greatly improved. The location is excellent being virtually on top of Grand Central Station, so very easy subway access for pretty much anywhere you want to go in the city.

In this area i always highly recommend Ess-A-Bagel (51st and Third Ave) for breakfast one morning... it's a great inexpensive place for breakfast and has one of the best bagels in NYC. If you like margaritas El Rio Grande is recommended (~36th and Third Ave) and a great burger can be had at Jackson Hole Wyoming (35th and Third).

Enjoy your stay.... afterwards you can tell us if the Mandarin is worth the extra money :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for walking me through everything.

How did I do anyways? 5 nights for 800 at the Hyatt?!

Was it a Steal/Average/What?

I went to school in New York so I am quite familiar with it - the burgers at Jackson Hole are huge - I remember this but American burgers lack flavour - as in it's huge and all but I'd rather a 2 oz flavourful patty more than a 20 oz bland one : )

I think I've done "good" also - not quite a steal but I made the best of the situation. An associate think's I've done "great". He works in New York and says that it's a great location.

Furthermore, Is it better to book WAY ahead or WAY before or Last Minute with Priceline?! I have no idea - would I have done "better" if I booked a day before or worse?

you should immediately sign up for Hyatt Gold Passport and present it upon check in, it can't hurt when you ask for an upgrade

As for getting a steal, compare your rate with rates on the Hyatt website and tell us your savings.

The Hyatt's "offer" price was between $131 and $136. We know this because your "bid" of $130 was rejected, thanks to rebidding, you bid $136 and won. At worst, you may have "overpaid" by $4 for your dates of travel, so you did pretty well.

The Hyatt, as well as every hotel that participates with priceline, monitors its occupancy levels and as it starts to fill up, may raise its "offer" price in an attempt to maximize revenue as it feels like it does not have to offer low priced rooms. If there are cancellations, then the hotel may lower its "offer" price and accept lower bids.

$1,515.38 was the cost quoted on Travelocity"]Travelocity - so I did "good".

I'll definately try for an upgrade considering that I will be there for five nights.

What is the story with Hotel taxes? Is it much the same idea as buying stuff in another state via the internet to avoid the tax? i.e. I notice if you book directly with a Hotel in New York tax is somehting like 16% whereas if you book with some other firms the tax is negligble - I noticed with Priceline I basically paid the 16% odd tax - how can this be avoided? by booking with an international firm?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]