Hotwire Hotel: 4* San Juan Caribe Hilton

giadav
By giadav,
in

Okay, this is probably early but I was thinking of giving it a try. We need a pre and post cruise hotel stay 3/7 and 3/14.

Last year we stayed at the Water Club and loved it. I booked it directly through them. This year their rates have gone up quite a bit. Through some research, I have read that the Water Club is the only known boutique hotel in San Juan. Do I choose 4* boutique? Should I add resort in there?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

"thereuare"

We are looking for post hotel stay in san juan as well. I spoke w/you recently on a strategy for the Water Club. Our dates in the mean time have changed since I last ask questions on this board. We are going to do a post cruise 2nt stay, 3/14 to 3/16. Is this too early. We would love the water club but would also be happy with a Resort. What do you think?

Thanks for all your great insight!!

probably $150 for the Boutique. How does that sound?

Also, can you tell if there is inventory for the Resort level hotels for 3/14 to 3/16?

I am still trying to make up my mind. My husband definately wants to stay at the Water Club. We both loved the location. We probably have a better chance at getting the Water Club b/c it is a known boutique hotel, right? With the Resort level there are more hotels that are offered and I'm not sure I like all of them. Decisions, decisions.........

probably $150 for the Boutique. How does that sound?

Sounds like more than i would want to pay for a hotel, but then again, i've never stayed at the Water Club and don't typically utilize all of the amenities and services offered :)

My best guess is that there is currently no availability at the Water Club nor the Caribe Hilton (this will likely change as your date approaches), but there may indeed be availability at the Condado Plaza.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Of course we can continue to discuss this, just continue this thread and i'll be sure to see it.

I don't know of anyway to target the Inter-Continental (and i prefer the word "target" rather than "guide me ... to get" since we are indeed buying blind, but can often have a high success rate at targeting specific hotels), but as the Hilton is the lowest known acceptor in the area at the resort level, i think you can target that hotel by keeping your bid at $65 (no higher!) But doing so now i think is futile as i don't think they have availability.

Both the Intercontinental and the Water Club (as well as the Caribe Hilton and Condado Plaza) have all been identified via Hotwire, so that may be another option for you (especially if you want the Inter-Continental as i think you'd have a better chance identifying it thru Hotwire than randomly getting it on a Priceline bid for a resort). The Hotwire thread is HERE. (just make sure you match up the amenity icons exactly to ensure the best chance that you've identified the hotel correctly).

Of course, you can continue to ask questions here regarding priceine or hotwire.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

thereuare, just to confirm - a Boutique bid on Priceline will *not* be "upgraded" to Resort or 4*, correct?

That's my understanding of it, but as i've never bid for a Boutique property, i can't say for certain.

My definition of Boutique is that it means: small and expensive.

I'm not saying it's not nice nor am i saying that it's not worth the money, it's just not my taste.

EDIT- i recent email to priceline indicates that a Boutique can indeed be upgraded to a 4* or 5* hotel, but i sent a reply for further clarification as to exactly where it falls in the hierarchy.

what amenities identify the Water Club on hot wire? I would like to stay there for 1 nite 11/1 and would like the price to be closer to $100 than the approx $200 (incl fees) that I've seen around. Bid once on Savings Barn for $75 but was rejected. Is resort considered a higher level than boutique? I've read the free rebid process- I'd have to find another zone with no boutiques avail. right? Any suggestions?

Karen

I wouldn't use re-bid zones for boutiques until we get some more information (i'm in the process of clarifying something regarding this with Priceline's customer service... a frustrating experience!) When you re-bid, you have to add a zone that ONLY has lower star ratings, or you run the risk of being 'upgraded' in the re-bid zone you added, as happened in THIS POST.

At this point, it's undertermined where Boutique lies in the hierarchy, so i'm not sure if Boutique could get upgraded to a 3*, 4*, 5*, or Resort hotel. This is what i'm trying to clarify with Priceline.

It appears to me that the Water Club is available thru Pricelne for your date, so it may just take a higher bid at this point (i don't know how much of a bid would be required, or if this property lowers their rates as check-in date approaches). You can see the star rating and the amenities associated with the Water Club in THIS THREAD (see the second post in the thread). I have done a lot of searches for PR before my recent trip, and i don't recall the Water Club ever being contained in my search, so it may or may not be shown in yours (Hotwire will only show you one hotel at each star level per zone)

Actually i just did a Hotwire search for your date and it appears that the Water Club is indeed shown for $148 (of course it could be another hotel, but based upon the information we have i believe it's the Water Club). This would lead me to believe that it would probably take a Priceline bid somewhere between $115-$135, just as a guess. Of course, since there are no known re-bids available until i get clarification from Priceline, you'll need to wait 72 hours since your last bid to try this.

If you decide against waiting for the Water Club (or determine that it requires too high of a bid to 'win') it appears that the Condado Plaza is available and can usually be had for a $75 bid (the Caribe Hilton doesn't appear to be available currently).

Hope this helps, but feel free to ask add'l questions if any reamain; and thanks for making your Pricelne and Hotwire purchases thru SavingsBarn.com

thanks for ur respnse re Water Club. Today I rebid at $88 for boutique 11/1-11/2 and was rejected. If they also searched resort level I'm surprised I didn't get an acceptance for that price based on ur prev. post re Condado(? can't remem. specifically what resort u mentioned!)can be had for $75. Almost rebid in another zone (because no other PR zones have boutiqe) but I didn't and am glad because I would not have wanted to be put in a resort level room in any other zone except San Juan as I'm going on AOS next day and wouldn't want increased travel time. I may try resort level only soon if there are more avail. rooms and lower my bid too. Price line is exciting to try but as I get closer to my date I will find it nervewracking to not have it nailed down. We'll see. Any suggestions?

Karen

You're correct, IF priceline's CS is correct (but it wouldn't be the first time they gave out bad information) then it's somewhat surprising that you weren't upgraded to the Condado Plaza for that price (if it is available, which i suspect it is, but have no way of knowing for sure). If you decide to bid again immediately for a resort, i would recommend bidding $75 and my best guess is that you would get the Condado Plaza. Something else i just thought of... if indeed Boutique lies just above 3* in the heirarchy, you wouldn't be allowed to bid for a resort without waiting 72 hours (but i don't think that is the case, i think they will allow you to bid for resort immediately).

If you bid Resort now and were accepted at $75, that would lead me to believe that Boutiques won't be upgraded to resort, but even so, i wouldn't use it as a re-bid unless i was really in a jam. Maybe CS is letting us know of something that is 'in the works'? I doubt it, but i'd always error on the side of caution.

Bottom Line (excuse my ramblings :) ) - i think it will likely take a bid in the range of $115-135 to land the Water Club. If you decide to bid Resort level now, try bidding $75.

DO NOT add any other zone besides San Juan, unless you want to stay in that zone.

Thanks in advance for going thru SavingsBarn.com

PS- i just returned from the AOS, so if you have any questions i'd be happy to answer them, but send me via PM me so we don't clog up this thread with cruise info (i was on the St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados itinerary)

• 1 month later...

I think there is availability at the Condado... but not sure at what price. If you want to give it a shot i'd recommend you try a $75 bid. If that's rejected i would not raise my bid as i think lower priced inventory will likely become available as your date draws near. I don't think the Hilton is available yet.

It also looks as if the Water Club has some availability (but again, no idea at what price... no assurance it's 'low priced' inventory).

(whenpigsfly)

We stayed at the Water Club this past March for a 2 night post cruise, based on mixed reviews. We absoulutely loved it and found the staff to be extremely accomodating. We also paid full price for the room, so sometimes our expectations are a little higher than if we got it thru priceline or hotwire.

(thereuare)

Is it still to the best of your knowledge that the Water Club is the only Boutique hotel in San Juan? If so, I would choose boutique and put a bid in of $120 and see what happens?

We would really like to avoid staying at the Condado if we can help it, so if we wait, that MAY increase the chances of getting the Caribe? (I understand no guarrantees).

Thanks so much!

Is it still to the best of your knowledge that the Water Club is the only Boutique hotel in San Juan? If so, I would choose boutique and put a bid in of $120 and see what happens?

We would really like to avoid staying at the Condado if we can help it, so if we wait, that MAY increase the chances of getting the Caribe? (I understand no guarrantees).

The Water Club, as far as i know, is still the only Boutique hotel in the area. There is still uncertainty if Boutique can be upgraded to resort or not. I have my own, unproven, thoughts on the subject, but receive conflicting info from Priceline so i'd rather not commit to an answer, but make you aware that it may be a possibility.

The Hilton, if it becomes available for your dates, probably won't be available until after the new year (that's my guess).

• 1 month later...

wow...I have been following Hotwires prices since April or May of this year to monitor the availability for a 2 nt post cruise stay for 3/14-3/16. At that time we weren't sure whether it would be pre or post cruise so I didn't commit to anything. I may not have known about this site at that time either, but I do remember seeing a 4* on the beach for $71-76 (the price would change depending on the day). Now that we know for sure that we want 2nt post on the above dates, I have seen anything above a 3 1/2 *. Today there was a 5* resort that I'm assuming is the El San Juan for $350. I have seen prices for this hotel from $352 and higher on other discount wesites. Why is hotwire so high?

Is there anyway of bidding this on Priceline? I have a backup hotel reserved for the Courtyard Marriott, it's in the Isle Verde area which we love because of the beach.

Thanks

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]