Check-out time Question

ufjoe21
By ufjoe21,
in

Most hotels I've been to have check-out times between 10AM-Noon, some places have late checkout till like 2pm or even later if you're part of a hotel rewards program......anyways

what I want to know is, how late can you actually be in the room after the OFFICIAL check-out time before something happens?

I mean does somebody go around and check to be sure you really checked out, I've always had the impression that whatever kind of checking they do occurs in the afternoon before new people come to check in

so I mean what happens does the hotel person come running in the room and say "you're here after check out we're charging you an extra night!"

just curious, you know what's considered proper etiquette,etc.

:)

It really depends on the hotel.

I've had hotels phone up a few minutes before checkout time just to ensure I'm really on my way out the door.

If you want a late checkout, I'm not sure if it's better to ask on check-in or just wait until early morning on the day of departure.

I've had where I called and they gave up an hour or 2, and others times they flat out refused.

But I'm more curious as to technically how do they know if you have left or not and when to ask for some kind of financial charge?

My experience is that its a function of how full the hotel is and the attitude of the front desk clerk at the time of your call. I have stayed at properties that post the charges for a late check out, 1:00 PM is no charge, 2:00 pm is half the room rate, 3:00 pm is a full room rate. The housekeeping staff generally leaves around 3:00 PM, so they want to get the room ready and be able to sell it to the next guest if the hotel is full. On New Years Day, I had asked for a late check out and was told "no way", I guess many other folks made the same request to try and sleep off the effects of the prior evening....I just wanted to take the kids to the indoor pool once more :)

I guess the only way that the desk knows if you have or have not vacated a room is if the housekeeper walks into your room after check out time. Then, you might have to assume the role of "Mickey the Dunce" and talk your way out of it, hopefully assisted by a language barrier between you and the chambermaid..... :)

I almost never leave a hotel on time. I stay 1/2 to 2 hours over w/o any problems unless the maid lets the front desk know I have not checked out and they call me up. This is when you say is your wake up call system broken? I should have gotten a wake up call at 9:00 am and now I have missed my flight. If the hotel is full the day of check out thats another story. They will start calling to make sure your going to be out if you have not checked out at the desk. Also a few Vegas hotels will call your room to make sure your getting out.

Sometimes (usually?) the card keys are programmed not to work past check-out time. So if you're going to "risk it" you might end up with a "confrontation" with the front desk anyway.

If it's important enough to me to need the room for a little while longer, it's important enough for me to ask at check-in. I've never been refused when I've asked on a PL stay, although sometimes I've been given as little as an hour extra. On PL stays I'm fully prepared to be refused, and it has happened where I have booked an extra night because I wasn't too sure of the hotel's policy.

Guest aldo

When we went to check in at the Courtyard Palm Desert at 2:30 pm, we requested a top floor room with balcony. Told there were none available yet, they took our cell phone number and said they would call. After not hearing back at 4 pm, I called and they said that a large group on the top floor with balcony rooms had still not checked out. The group did not request a late check-out and the hotel had no idea why they hadn't left yet. I was told the manager was on the floor knocking doors to get them to leave. They were very apologetic, and said as soon the first room was available, they would call, which they did 20 minutes later. We were doing other things, so it wasn't that inconvenient, but because of the inconsideration of others, we had to wait. That's why it's so important to ask for a late check out if you need one, and then check out when you say you will. There are others waiting: the front desk, the maids, and the next person looking to check in.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]