Priceline Hotel: south carolina

micheles
By micheles,
in

i am thinking about a holiday for next easter (while flights are reasonable - i can get a return including tax with US airways for around $650 - about 377 british pounds - and was thinking as an alternative to cape cod our usual easter choice

we have visited disney several times but had a wash out of a summer there last july and august (charlie!) so it took the shine off just a bit

i don't know anyone who has been anywhere in US apart from orlanda, new york or las vegas

i like a nice hotel - good rooms, restaurants and room service for my son, but places to visit some days and

shopping - we love the outlet malls

are we looking in the right area for a great bit of early sun? :)

are we looking in the right area for a great bit of early sun?

I think it depends how warm you would like it to be, and I am assuming you want to be along the ocean? Myrtle Beach, for example, has an average high of 75 F and an average low of 50 F for the month of April. Looking at the stats for last month (April, 2005) there were 15 days where temps were 70 F or higher, but there were also days where the high was only in the 50's or low 60's. I don't think you would be swimming in the ocean on the colder days! You can find lots of stats on sites like weather.com.

April in SC is fairly dry, I am pretty sure they get most of their rain in the summer months. I was in that area in the Spring a couple of years ago and there were a few days we froze (we wanted to wear shorts!), but then it suddenly got really sunny and warm. I think it can go either way in April, but if you are going to be there for two weeks, you have a good chance of getting some nice warm days as well as cooler ones.

Maybe someone who spends more time there can tell you more.

I'm a huge Myrtle Beach fan. I've been there about ten times in the past fifteen years. They have a great beach, good hotels, lots of stuff to do, and FABULOUS outlets! My husband and I went for a three day weekend last year in late March. It was a bit chilly! Too cold for shorts, and don't even think about getting near the ocean! The water was freezing! Our hotel did have an indoor pool, as well as a heated outdoor pool. It was actually too cool for the outdoor pool.

We didn't get rain, but it was cool. We still had a fantastic vacation. There is so much to do in Myrtle Beach besides the beach, like tons of shopping and several amusement-type parks. I would definitely recommend Myrtle Beach, SC for a nice long vacation, even in March or April, especially if you're not stuck on swimming in the Atlantic.

April

thanks for your help - i will look closely at the weather and also check out potential hotels - myrtle beach might be just what we are looking for - we usually end up in new york/boston/cape cod - for the hotels, the scenery and the shopping (i am a filenes basement addict- although my husband and sons hate it)

i have no idea of the scale of things but would love to go to charleston (great fan of rhett butler) - and it is a race with my brother as to who gets there first - it looks like it could be me.... :)

Easter next year is April 16. I'm a big fan of Florida, but so are a lot of others :) and as a result, many locations will be crowded and accomodations will be at the "high season" rate. We like Sanibel Island, but there are no outlet stores on the Island, but activities include fishing, bike riding, canoeing in the Ding Darling state park, and my personal favorite, sitting in a beach chair with your feet in the sand :) There are some nice resorts on the island with daily rates and many condo rentals for one or two week accomodations. Expect to pay about $3000 per week for a two bedroom unit on the beach. Most of the condos have pools, so you can hit the beach in the morning and then relax at the pool in the afternoon. We also liked Cocoa Beach last year and it is only about an hour from Disney, but it will be crowded.

DAHammer,

Michelle wants a change from Florida this year hence the heading "South Carolina". Sounds like a good option too. Will consider this for a future trip. Luckily our kids school holidays (2 weeks) ends on easter Monday so we can get 10 days in before the crowds arrive.

I should have mentioned that we are also a fans of Hilton Head Island too!! Its closer to Charlston too, but in April, it might be too cool to hit the beach. Not sure of the outlets near Hilton Head either. There is plenty of golf and bike riding on Hilton Head.

Just give us a beach for a week, and that's a great vacation.....as long as the weather cooperates: Sunny and at least 75 degrees (Fahrenheit) We've never been to Myrtle Beach, so we might just have to check it out. We like to rent condos for the week, bigger than a hotel room, and as long as it is on the beach and has a pool, we are good to go. We have done this in Sanibel, Cocoa Beach, Marco Island (Florida), Hilton Head, and of course, all along the "Jersey Shore" in Ocean City and Wildwood Crest.

i'm with blue skies, my son breaks up early for the easter break and we have four weeks in total - i'd love to spend it all on holiday but my husband doesn't get much holiday so we split his weeks between easter and the summer - two weeks is as much as i can squeeze out of him for the spring break

when do the US schools break for easter - i discovered spring break this year - it made new york heave with people - will we be in spring break season if we arrive 25th march to 7th april?

thank you all so much for your help - i'm convinced south carolina is the right choice - we will be able to visit charleston and savannah and have some time relaxing in a resort (it'll be warmer than at home anyway) :)

Can you please do a report when you get back as I would be very interested in reading it.

I know it is a long way off. We seem to have been at a few of the same places and would be interested in your views.

I also note you normally go to Boston and Cape Cod area - have you done any reviews that I could look at as I have not been there yet and would also like to go there? We go to New York and Florida regularly. Going to California this summer (first time)so maybe next year we will do Boston and the area.

Thanks

found a good advertised deal with westin at hilton head - $99 for a traditional room and $109 for a deluxe + resort fee and 10% tax - having no idea at all about what is good for this area - there are a few posts but the date is a long way in advance - is it worth 'holding' a room at this rate - and hoping for something better later or is it a good rate- fullstop? - it is a rate that can be cancelled - the rack rate is considerably more between $299 and $349 + +

my dates are 25th march to 7th april

any help gratefully received

thanks

Charleston at Easter would be great next year with an April date. Temps should be in the mid 70s with lows in the 60s. Not too bad at all for the South. Anything can happen in April however and you could get anything from 40s to 80s. Today (June 1) it is 61 outside and more like Dublin than Miami.

Downtown Charleston has more shopping than you can imagine. The old slave market has been converted to a bazaar shopping mart. Meeting St. is row after row of shopping, pubs, rest., and galleries. The beach at Wild Dunes or Folly is less than 30 minutes away.

You can see the old South in downtown Charleston, tour the plantation at Middleton Place, see a WWII batttleship, tour Ft. Sumter where the "Recent Unpleasantries" started in 1861.

Less than an hour away is Beaufort with more shopping and history....very similar to Southhampton or Plymouth in the UK.

There is a shopping outlet on Interstate 95 less than 70 miles from Charleston. You are also about 75 miles from Myrtle Beach. The ride from Charlie Town to the Redneck Riveria goes through Sumter National Forest which was almost wiped out by Hugo in 1989. Interesting seeing all the changes

Myrtle Beach is now known for its beach, golf (over 300 courses in 50 miles) and shopping. Broadway at the Beach is an outlet mall with a IMAX theatre, many theme rest. and over 300 shops. Barefoot Landing is less than 5 miles away and has 125 shops built around a lake.

Both Charleston and Myrtle Beach are family friendly. You should be able to find 4 STAR hotels for less than $100US or L45 a night.

Hope that helps....................

Broadway at the Beach

http://www.broadwayatthebeach.com/

Barefoot Landing

http://www.bflanding.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Weather:

We have tent camped in Myrtle Beach in March with no problems at all. I have stayed in a hotel and walked the beach in a bathing suit at the end of February. I wouldn't worry about temperatures in April unless something unusual came along.

Myrtle Beach will be much more affordable then Charleston. The prices drop in September & get lower each month until January then they start to raise around March but do not get highly inflated until May or so. In Charleston the prices pretty much stay up because, unlike Myrtle Beach, it is a year round destination. It would not be too far of a ride between the two for a long day or overnight trip. In fact there are tour busses that you can book & do just that.

I always stay at the Landmark Resort ( www.landmarkresort.com ) when I go there. I am sure it is not the best but I know the place, and get a great room at a great price. In my opinion their indoor lazy river & pool complex can't be beat. We get a Deluxe Oceanfront Level N suite for what a lot of places charge for just a room. You walk in from the corridor to the main sleeping area which is two double beds with it's own TV then there is a doorway (with a door you can close at night) and your in the kitchen on left and bath on right. There are two separate toilet areas with the tub between them all with doors so 3 people can be in the bathroom at the same time all with their own privacy (one in the shower & one in each toilet. Then you walk through another doorway (again with a door you can close at night) and you are in the livingroom/dining area. There is a full sized table, TV chairs etc & a bed that comes down from the wall & a sliding glass door that opens to the beachfront patio. To us it is like 2 separate bedrooms at night because we close the kitchen doors (both have locks as well) I prefer sleeping on the bed that comes down from the wall because I leave the patio door open and hear the ocean all night long!

I am sure there may be fancier places and all but I like it here and I hadn't found any with this kind of setup for the price!

Take Care,

Lisa

• 2 months later...

savannah/south carolina - 3/26-3/30 Westin

i would appreciate advice on how to target this hotel.i read good reviews about this hotel and see that bidders have won this through hotwire, which zone would i have to bid in? would it be on the savannah page or the hilton head (SC)?

i decided against the westin in hilton head but this one looks like a good property.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

the only hotwire hotel showing availability for our dates is 31/2 star

- the amenies are - restaurant. pool, fitness, internet access. business centre, golf and tennis

the cost for the dates of 3/26 - 3/30 is $143 per night

the hotwire listed hotel at this rating is the hyatt regency savannah - the hyatt has rates of $199 for one night and thereafter $219 for the same period :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]