Priceline Hotel: NYC Hotels - Private Bathrooms/Toilets

Dilbert
By Dilbert,
in

(I don't know whether this is the right place, especially since this applies to both Hotwire and Priceline in NYC. Feel free to move it to a more appropriate place.)

Do all hotels/motels on Hotwire and Priceline have private bathrooms/toilets regardless of * rating? I've seen a couple of 1* hotels on Hotwire, which are also marked as 'boutique'...

Thanks.

I didn't know the answer to this <good> question, so i called Hotwire Customer Service, and unfortunately didn't gain any add'l insight (is Hotwire 'stealing' Priceline's customer service reps? :) )

I asked the question and was basically told "it's possible to get a shared bath." I pressed the issue further and was basically told that since it's not known what hotel i would get until after i booked, there's no way to be certain that there's not a shared bath.

I say this is still an 'unrsolved' question, because it sounded as if i knew more about Hotwire than the customer service rep, so perhaps i'll try the call again later and get another representative.

On a personal note, i wouldn't recommend selecting a 1* unless it was the only hotel offered. Usually the higher rated hotels have more margin to discount, and i'd be curious to know just how much cheaper the 1* hotel was compared to the next highest rated hotel. We've seen numerous examples of 3* hotels being cheaper than 2* hotels in the same search (as well as 4* hotels being cheaper than 3*, etc, etc), so i would question if the 1* you saw was even actually cheaper than the next higher rated hotel. I imagine that the 1* hotel wouldn't be much cheaper than the next highest rated hotel (if at all), so if it's only a matter of a few dollars, i wouldn't risk it.

Just my own opinion, as there may be reasons that you would want to save the extra money and/or want the lesser rated hotel (which is fine, i was only expressing my personal choice).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Priceline's description of each star level used to say that even the 1* hotels are guaranteed a private bath. I tried to find that now, and I couldn't, but it was there a few months ago. The examples provided - Motel 6, Super 8, Red Roof Inns, Rodeway Inns - all have private bathrooms. For that matter, even the 2* and up descriptions do not specifically say private bathroom.

I've sent a question to Priceline customer service (not the most reliable source) and I will report back.

Rooms at various star levels have lacked bathtubs (although they had showers), if that is a consideration.

Priceline's description of each star level used to say that even the 1* hotels are guaranteed a private bath.

I was sure that I had seen that somewhere, also -- and could not find it again, either!

I've sent a question to Priceline customer service (not the most reliable source) and I will report back.

Hey, I did the same thing, and received this reply:

Our customers are guaranteed standard rooms that do feature private baths. Please be assured that all rooms will have a private bath.

Now, it will be interesting to see if you get the SAME answer! :)

The problem is that it sounds like Hotwire won't guarantee to you what star level you should use to avoid any possibility.

For example, Expedia had a 3* property in London with a shared bath - probably a mistake, but it just goes to show you.

Orbitz listed a hotel that has shared-bath rooms in Copenhagen under a three star rating. The description of the room is "Standard rate Economy room 2 single beds no bathroom".

The problem is that it sounds like Hotwire won't guarantee to you what star level you should use to avoid any possibility.

This is what prompted my original question... I'm trying to compare this list with an approximate with Priceline and a list from Travelocity...

Here's a list of hotels I found on Hotwire (22 Aug to 24 Aug), Midtown Central, NYC.

1*, boutique, no other amenities = $84

2*, restaurant = $111

2.5*, restaurant, business center = $120

3*, boutique, no other amenities = $120

3.5*, restaurant, fitness centre, hi-speed Internet, business centre = $104

4*, customer favourite, restaurant, fitness centre, business centre, spa = $122

4.5*, boutique, restaurant, fitness centre, business centre = $179 (Inter-Continential???)

Hotwire's description for 1* (Motel) does include private bathrooms, but not sure about Priceline...

Motels are geared toward the budget traveler. Accommodations are clean and include private bath, telephone, TV and basic comfortable furnishings. These no-frills properties do not have restaurants on site, but are usually within walking distance of inexpensive dining. Rooms typically have exterior access and are generally located near affordable attractions.

I think it's Priceline that you can't promise a bathroom at any level...

If this 1* has a private bathroom, it's not necessarily a bad deal. The rest of them don't look too bad either. Any guesses as to what the rest of them are?

I guess i really don't understand the exercise here, unless it's just fundamental/curiosity (which is fine if it is), but from a practical point of veiw....

Priceline typically has 4* hotels in the MTE/MTW zones, with low end acceptance prices of $75, $88, and $93.

My point being is that if you can have success at the $75 level, you'll be getting a 4* via Priceline cheaper than the a 1* via Hotwire. If unsuccessful at $75, the next prices we typically see accpted are at $88 and $93. Either of those will cost you slightly more than the 1* via Hotwire, but i think it would be money (<$20 for 2 nites) that would be well spent for an upgrade from 1* to 4*.

With that said, i never tell anybody how to spend their money! You earned it, you can spend it as you wish :) . Just giving my own opinion as to what i think is best given the circumstances.

If you'd like a bidding strategy to try the three price points mentioned above for a 4* hotel, let me know and i'll post a strategy.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think it's Priceline that you can't promise a bathroom at any level...

If this 1* has a private bathroom, it's not necessarily a bad deal. The rest of them don't look too bad either. Any guesses as to what the rest of them are?

According to the customer service messages that Scorp and I got, Priceline does guarantee a private bathroom. But we know that Priceline customer service is not the best, although I do believe them in this case. To help protect against getting a room with shared bath, I would recommend also writing a message to Priceline with the same question, and then they will most likely give you the same response. Then you have their promise on record should you ever need to dispute the issue (unlikely).

From what you are saying, though, Hotwire does guarantee a private bathroom in their written descriptions?

I guess i really don't understand the exercise here, unless it's just fundamental/curiosity (which is fine if it is), but from a practical point of veiw....

Priceline typically has 4* hotels in the MTE/MTW zones, with low end acceptance prices of $75, $88, and $93.

My point being is that if you can have success at the $75 level, you'll be getting a 4* via Priceline cheaper than the a 1* via Hotwire. If unsuccessful at $75, the next prices we typically see accpted are at $88 and $93. Either of those will cost you slightly more than the 1* via Hotwire, but i think it would be money (<$20 for 2 nites) that would be well spent for an upgrade from 1* to 4*.

With that said, i never tell anybody how to spend their money! You earned it, you can spend it as you wish :) . Just giving my own opinion as to what i think is best given the circumstances.

If you'd like a bidding strategy to try the three price points mentioned above for a 4* hotel, let me know and i'll post a strategy.

I guess it started off as a curiosity thing. I haven't seen a 1* on Priceline or Hotwire until now... Now, I'm slightly obsessed with it... :) I'm losing the bigger picture...

After I posted last night, I'd a quick look around the various areas in NYC. There're cheap 4* going, but none as low as you mentioned. Care to share your strategy? (I haven't had time to play too much on Priceline. I currently within my 72-hour lock out... Yes, I've seen the post on re-bidding within 72 hours.)

Thanks. :o

Care to share your strategy?

This is what i do here :)

This is how i would proceed, as there is only one re-bid zone when bidding 4* in this area:

Select 4* and....

MTE bid $75, if rejected...

add MTW bid $88, if rejected...

add re-bid zone bid $93

Let us know how it works out. Any questions, feel free to ask.

• 6 months later...

There may never be a definitive answer to this question, but here in the US, have any of us ever seen a posting from someone that bid, won and was awarded a hotel on PL with shared bath or received one after accepting the price on HW? NOt that it couldn't happen but before this wonderful website was available I used to scan the NYC listings at TOBB regulalry and don't recall ever seeing a mention of this occurring.

The point was made that 1* properties have less margin to play with and that's true. They also tend to be less likely to get involved with something like PL or HW as they are usually smaller independently owned properties. I'm thinking places like Hotel 31, Murray Hill Inn, Pickwick Arms, the Habitat.... all of these places have at least some rooms with shared bath IIRC but seem to have little if any trouble selling these rooms at their regular rates, especially to European visitors or last minute arrivals (and those ona restricted budget who don't know much about PL and HW).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]