Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency on Hudson

LARL43
By LARL43,
in

Hi everyone. I'm brand new to this board. Have browsed a few times in the past and think this is a great source of information.

I want to take my Wife to NY for Valentine's Day and need help with hotels. We'll be flying into JFK, so I'm beginning my search with hotels close to the airport. Check-in 2/12; check-out 2/15.

There is 1 coming up as a 3-star, Best Value for 87/night. Amenities are Shuttle, Restaurant, Fitness & Business Centers.

There is also a 2-star for 62/night with Shuttle, Complimentary Breakfast, Fitness Center & High Speed Internet Access.

Any help identifying these hotels would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any tips on whether these are good choices/rates? Any chance of getting something better/closer to Manhattan for not too much more?

Thanks in advance.

Being that I have never been to NY, I'm open to suggestions on hotel location. I am beginning my search with JFK because that's the airport we'll be using, but I'm open to any tips anyone may have.

Won't have a car, so i guess being close to the subway is something that would be helpful to us.

For now I'm trying to keep it under 100/night. But if something very good comes up, I would consider going up to maybe 120/night.

Thanks.

if you stay near JFK, you may be spending too much time on public transportation going back and forth and not enough time doing the things that brought you to NYC in the first place! The 2* may be the Best Western, this hotel's best features (good coffee at the breakfast bar, free HS internet, close proximity to the airport, and free shuttle) will not be appreciated on a weekend stay with your wife. The 3* may be the Ramada Inn. I think that you may need to increase your budget or you might want to think about staying in Jersey City, NJ.

I agree with the above, but will be a bit more emphatic: DO NOT stay at JFK for your NYC vacation... you will not be happy there.

Your budget is likely too low for a decent hotel in NYC (i wouldn't trust an unknown 2* from HOTWIRE.

Give your budget i think your best bet by far is to try for Jersey City. It will take you a little more than an hour to get there from JFK via mass transit, but it is really your best option in my opinion. There is a transportation vai PATH Train at the hotel's doorstep ($1.50/each way) and it's 8 minutes to downtown, 17 minutes to midtown (beats the 1+ hour on the subway from JFK).

If this is satisfactory for you this is how i would proceed:

Select 3* Jersey City (NJ)

Bid $48

If you try this let us know how it goes, if not, post back as to what you think your best options are and we'll take it from there.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for your responses.

Being that I know nothing about NY, one of my 1st concerns would be safety. I would like to stay in a fairly safe area. How safe is Jersey City?

Also, I would like to stay as close to Manhattan as possible, being that we'd be spending most of our time there.

What type of hotel budget would I need to stay in or close to Manhattan.

Thanks for your help.

Check out the link above to Real Hotel Photos and you will see the Jersey City Hyatt, if you were any closer to NYC, you'd be in the river :) Read some of the past postings on the board and you will get a feel for this property and its safety and proximity to getting into the city. I

Thanks dahammer for your suggestions. I checked out the photos and comments and this sounds like a great deal.

thereuare: What hotels am I likely to get bidding 3* in Jersey City? Also, I see the Hyatt has been won with bids in the mid $30 range. Why do you suggest I start with $48?

You can see the hotel's previously won in the PRICELINE HOTELS LIST for New Jersey. The Hyatt is the most frequent winner in the area, especially on low bids.

We have seen numerous $37 bid rejections lately with subsequent acceptances at $48... i'm thinking this may be a new floor for this hotel (for the time being at least). If you'd like you can try $37 first, but then you'll have to wait 72 hours in order to try again since technically there are no RE-BID ZONES at the 3* level in this area.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Please keep us updated as to your progress.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

$46 bid accepted on 1st attempt (Priceline). 3* Jersey City. Thanks for your help!

Check-In Date: Saturday, February 12, 2005

Check-Out Date: Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Hotel Name: Hyatt Regency Jersey City On The Hudson

2 Exchange Place

Jersey City, New Jersey 07302

201-469-1234

Your Offer Price: $46.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 4

Subtotal: $184.00

Taxes & Service Fees: $34.57

Total Charges: $218.57

Nice to see you win this hotel!

I take particular joy in this thread as it really exemplifies what this site is all about and shows that some of the goals we had when we started it have come to fruition! Although a bad day on vacation is better than a good day of work, and i'm sure LARL43 and his wife would have been happy with their trip, i believe their trip has just been made infinately better based upon this Jersey City reservation (vs. staying out by JFK).

Not only was it less expensive than JFK would have likely cost, but the hotel is newer, isn't over-used like many airport properties are, has a great location, fantastic commute into NYC (they can be in NYC in 15 minutes vs. the 1 hour+ JFK would have taken), and has an amazing view of Manhattan!

Enjoy your stay... having stayed at this property myself i'm sure you'll be pleased. I also live in the immediate area so if we can help with any other plans while you're here feel free to ask.

Thank you so much thereuare & dahammer for your help. We are very pleased & excited about our hotel purchase & our trip. This is by far the best and most enjoyable bidding forum around and the only one I use. Keep up the great work!

I'll do some research for our trip and then post any questions I may have.

Actually, I just thought of one. What's the best way to get to this hotel from Newark airport (we changed our arrival airport to be closer to our hotel)?

Thanks!

Quickest way is a taxi... if you take one from the airport taxi line it will cost you about $35, but if you want to go this route i have a local company that i deal with, you can call them once you land and then they'll take you from the airport to JC for $25 (assuming it isn't rush hour). PM if this is an option for you.

Other option is to get to Newark Penn Station (train, bus, taxi) and then take the PATH train to Exchange Place. PATH fare is $1.50/pp and then add the cost of whatever method you choose to get to Newark Penn Station (just note that you're going to Newark Penn Station and not New York Penn Station)

thereuare,

I would like the least expensive option, therefore the PATH sounds like the way to go. How far is Newark Penn Station from airport and where could I get a bus/train to take me there? Also, I assume to get from hotel to airport I'd just backtrack exactly the way I got from airport to hotel.

Does PATH offer any type of pass like Metro does?

Is the Statue of Liberty allowing visitors inside Lady Liberty and/or up to the top?

Thank you.

For transportation to Newark Penn Station follow the directions in the following post for getting from EWR to Newark Penn Station (then take the PATH to Exchange Place/Jersey City instead of NYC): Newark Airport to Hotel

I don't know about going to the top of the statue of liberty, but many agree that going to the island is more of an effort that it's worth (as the lines to get on/off the boat can be excessive)... if you want to see Lady Liberty the Staten Island Ferry goes right by it and is a better option (imo), as discussed in various threads of NYC Tips and Tricks

We are flying out to New York tonight. Just wanted to thank you guys for your help. This board has been a wealth of information. I'll be sure to post a trip report when we get back.

Thereuare,

We decided against the Cooperstown day trip, so we wont be needing taxi service, but thanks for you offer.

The Statue of Liberty was closed because of 9/11. Before re-opening,

an inspection was done and determined that because of the narrow

and winding staircase to the top, there was no adequate fire escape

avenue so the option to go up inside Lady Liberty will most likely never

be offered again.

She is currently open with two options for going higher than ground

level. The highest level you can attain is inside the statue,

at the "top of the base, basically at her feet level" where you can look up

inside the stature and see the infrastructure. The second best

ticket is for the observatory level which allows you to walk around the

elevated base.

These are timed events and tickets are "free" but you have to

buy a $10.00 ferry ticket to get to Liberty Island. You can hope to land

a Statue ticket on the day of the event but I recommend you get the

free Statue ticket on the internet and wait until the scheduled day to

buy your ferry ticket at the ferry office. That way, if something comes up

and you can't make the visit, the Park Service Statue of Liberty ticket ,

which was free anyway, doesn't hurt if you can't make the trip and you

aren't out the cost of the ferry ticket.

Statue of Liberty Website Reservations for Statue Tour:

Circle Line

Regards, Keoni :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]