CA San Diego Holiday Inn Harbor View Downtown

waltero61
By waltero61,
in

Hotel was great. Got a non-smoking, 2 double bed room as I requested. I was very satisfied with the room and the location (near downtown) of the hotel.

As for amenities, the exercise room was a small room with a couple of machines. The pool was small. The restaurant didn't even qualify as a deli. More like a snack shop in the airport.

Extra charges are $10 per day for parking. And plug in Internet access is not included, it is also $10 per day. All-in-all, great value for the money. Hotel posted charges of $45 per night on my account on the TV screen and they were selling the same room on their site for $109.

I plan on using HotWire again and again for hotel + rent-a-car.

Hope this post helps anyone interested in staying in San Diego.

• 1 year later...

We stayed there at the beginning of January 2006 on a $42 bid.

I agree with waltero61's assessment. Property was clean, staff very efficient. We got there early and they didn't have a king non-smoking ready, but we were just fine with two doubles non-smoking.

It was a little noisy from the freeway next to the hotel, even though we were on the other side of the building. Also note that there isn't really a harbor view anymore due to new buildings between the hotel and the water.

The front desk had a local map that showed all the bus and walking routes. We walked to the Gas Lamp District at night and it was just slightly shady and a bit of a walk, but manageable.

The airport shuttle was a great feature as we had one night flight and one morning flight. The shuttle also makes a run to the zoo in the morning and again in the evening.

One very positive development: the in-room wired Internet service is now FREE. Very welcome surprise!

However, for $42, we were very happy and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. It's probably the best overall value downtown at that price.

• 2 years later...

Nicer place than I expected. Rooms and lobby recently renovated. I stayed two nights with a winning bid of $52.

This is one of those tubular shaped hotels that Holiday Inn built in the 1970's. It looks like a roll of paper towels standing on end. Hotel is 16 stories with 16 rooms per floor, arranged in a circle around elevator shafts in the central core. Because of the architecture the rooms have an unusual wedge shape, like slices of pie, narrow at the door and wider at the windows facing out.

Some people wouldn't call this location Downtown. If it's Downtown it's the far north end of Downtown, almost Banker's Hill. It's only a ten minute walk to Little Italy and I ate there both nights. Hotel has a shuttle that will take you within two mile radius, which includes, Airport, Downtown, and Hillcrest.

No Priceline attitude. Desk clerk asked me if I wanted one bed or two. I was on sixth floor facing west. An I-5 exit ramp was right under my window but practiacally no road noise. Looking out instead of down I had a good view of Little Italy, San Diego Bay, and Point Loma in the distance. Too bad the room didn't have a balcony. I think sixth floor where I was would be the lowest with bay views.

I had a connecting room and I don't like those. I considered asking for another nonconnecting room but I didn't in order to keep my good view. Either the room next to me was vacant both nights or somebody quiet was there as I never heard a peep.

Self parking was $12/night, less than at hotels near Gaslamp and Petco. Parking for free on adjacent side streets looked feasible but I opted for the better security and lighting in the hotel's garage. West of the hotel is good, but to the east it's a little desolate at night and I saw a few homeless walking around with shopping carts. It didn't feel like a bad area though. I saw homeless near the 4* hotels Downtown too.

Hotel doesn't have a regular restaurant but there's a staffed snack and sandwich stand in the lobby and they deliver hot breakfast via room service. 24 hour gas station/convenience store across the street. Starbucks and etc within a couple blocks, towards Little Italy.

I have no complaints. For $52 this was a good bargain and I'd be happy to stay there again.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]