Hotwire Hotel: San Diego Airport

5_oclock_here
By 5_oclock_here,
in

Hi there ~ totally new here so thanks in advance for the help.

Need a hotel close to San Diego airport for a 1 night stay layover. 2/13-2/14/2010

We fly in at 11:40pm 2/13/10 and fly out 7:00am on 2/14/10 so we are looking for a hotel closest to the airport.

Also, any guarantee of airport shuttle option when bidding?

Priceline or Hotwire?

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding, 5_oclock_here.

San Diego's unusual in that the airport is next to Downtown. Downtown-Harbor Island is the closest Priceline zone to the airport, but the majority of hotels in Priceline's DT-HI zone do NOT have an airport shuttle. You have to take a cab for about $10-15 one way, depending which hotel you win.

The 4* Sheraton Marina and 3.5* Hilton Harbor Island are the closest hotels to the airport and both have free shuttles. But bidding on PRICELINE there's no way to guarantee you'll win one of those two hotels, and chances are you wouldn't.

The Sheraton is $109 for your date. (Hilton is more.) If you bid for a PRICELINE 4* and win something for $60-70 with no shuttle, you won't be saving much off Sheraton's rate after cabfare and Priceline fee. If you get a Priceline 3* for around $50-55 then you'll be saving, even after cabfare, and if you're lucky you'll get 3* Holiday Inn on the Bay, which has a shuttle.

I checked HOTWIRE to see if the Sheraton or another hotel with Shuttle icon is showing and I don't see anything.

If you want a bidding strategy someone can provide.

Given many hotels don't have a shuttle, i'd also consider using our companion site MAPS and HOTELS.com. Enter "SAN" or "San Diego Airport" into the search box and you'll be able to see which hotels are closest to the airport. Clicking thru on the hotel links will also allow you to see the amenities offered by the selected property (to determine if a shuttle is offered)

I'll also add that your flights get in somewhat late and depart fairly early, so you'll also have to check the operating hours of any hotels which does offer a shuttle, as the times may not work for you if it's not 24 hour service.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]