Instead of Airport Parking...Sleep & Fly?

headtrip
By headtrip,
in

Hi all,

I just booked a very inexpensive flight from Orange County, CA (SNA) to Portland, OR (PDX) for $153 each on Alaska Airlines for Thanksgiving Week for 4 of us, but since it's a bit farther than LAX where I normally fly out of, I would have to end up parking there, which apparently is $24 a day.

I was looking at ways of saving money vs paying $175 for 7 days at the airport lot and one option I saw only was a Sleep and Fly special at Crown Plaza for $125 (2 weeks parking included) or La Quinta Inn for $89 (1 week parking included). I was wondering if anyone here has taken advantage of this type of deal before and is it available in many cities?

Another option I considered is just renting a car for 1 day leaving and then again on returning and just dropping it off at the local rental store, althrough this will entail a bit of shuttling to get the car and then returning it again after getting home. With National, a per day rent on a compact or economy car is $40, big enough to get everyone to the airport, so $80 inc/tax to drive myself to the airport and back with 2 15 minutes shuttle trips on either end.

I would appreciate to hear what everyone else thinks? Too much hassle and just spend the money? Or do what it takes to save a buck since it's my pocketbook that pays? Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Thanks for your reccomendation, I will look if the Embassy Suites down here has that policy also, but I notice most places make no mention of free guest airport parking in their online descriptions.

And BTW, since I didn't mention it in the previous post, I had also considered arranging for a Taxi which would work out to approximately $70 each way, but it would be cramped most likely and Los Angeles is not home to the cleanest or the nicest cab drivers either....

Super Shuttle works out to $30 per person or $120 each way for a group of 4.

After calling the hotels offering the Park and Fly packages (Crowne Plaza, La Quinta, Holiday Inn), all of them informed me that I could only park there without being towed if I paid the official Park and Fly rate which then goes into a special list. So trying for a discount AAA or Hotwire rate is out of the picture.

National Car Rental has the lowest rate for a Compact car at $41.08 per day and I'm thinking that is the best way to go for now....I can always cancel my reservation if a better deal comes along, so please keep posting if you have some good information!

I will look if the Embassy Suites down here has that policy also, but I notice most places make no mention of free guest airport parking in their online descriptions.

Chances are Embassy suites won't tell you they offer free guest airport parking. At least they don't at the two airport properties in SF. In fact both properties sell a park-and-fly package. It's merely a marketing ploy to make a few extra bucks from unsuspecting people that think there is a charge for parking! No need to buy a park-and-fly package at a hotel that doesn't charge for parking, has no toll gates or booths, has no signage advising time-limit restrictions, or front desk employees who don't ask for your car's make, model or license plate number!

OK, here are my exhaustive search results for the cheapest way to get 4 people to John Wayne

Airport (SNA) assuming about a 30 mile commute and an 8 day trip:

The Sleep and Fly Option:

La Quinta Inn has the lowest price at $89+tax including a weeks parking. I was seriously considering this except for one flaw, which is the Airport Shuttle doesn't start until 7am, and our flight leaves at 7:30am. This makes absolutely no sense to me, but there it is....

Runner up was Holiday Inn which appears to have Park and Fly options at most of its Airport locations. Room and 2 weeks parking was $109+tax, and their shuttle runs from 5am on demand. If we did have a longer commute, then this really would have been a competitive option.

(sorry BEAV but Embassy Suites said no deal here)

Taxi/Supershuttle Rates:

Taxi was quoted at $65 each way or $130 round trip....(4 cramped passengers max)

and Supershuttle was quoted at $71 each way or $142 round trip. (7 passengers max)

Airport Parking:

Terminal Parking Rates $24 a day or $192+tax for 8 days.

Remote Parking $12 a day or $96+tax for 8 days. (thanks cheezhead)

One-Way Airport Drop-off Rental Car:

National Car Rental had the best one-way rental rate of $41.08 or $82.16 without any promtional code for a 2 day rental. (Compact 4 dr car)

Budget Car Rental had the best promotional code rate of $69.20 for 2 days rental with the code I found below for a Compact (Ford Focus), not very roomy, but for a 40 minute trip, it shouldn't be too bad. I always pack a bungee cord in case there is an issue with truck space.

While I was checking for discounts, I discovered Walmart Car Rentals offers special rates for car rentals. Using the Budget discount code, I was able to get a rate of $33.50 going and $35.20 (SNA surcharge)returning for a grand total of $69.20.

Granted, the several hours needed to research this all out was pro bono...but you could say this is my equivilent to solving a crossword puzzle...keeping my bargain minded internet skills sharp!

• 1 month later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]