Noob rental car question

LanceHarbor
By LanceHarbor,
in

Here is my method; there may be other methods out there:

Just as you refer to bidding for hotels above your desired star level, I submit my first bid for a car size one notch more expensive than my desired size.

Note that I wrote "more expensive", not "larger". Sometimes smaller cars cost more, depending upon the location and date.

I find that if I've successfully bid for a hotel, Priceline will suggest a very low bid, possibly the lowest possible for the rental car. You have to remember to specify the dates and driver and airport before submitting the bid. You can get the prices for all sizes of cars and the order of size and price are often unrelated. This will change every day or several times a day. I have been very pleased and usually get Hertz or Avis when their own sites are much higher. I have never been successful with a bid lower than they suggest. I also look at Hotwire, and note the total price because Hotwire has lower fees than Priceline.

• 4 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]