Hotwire Hotel: 4* Napa-Sonoma (Santa Rosa-Rohnert Park-Petaluma) Doubletree

hookedontravel
By hookedontravel,
in

Hi everyone

It is going to be my first time in Napa / Sonoma Valley and I am a bit befuddled by the areas listed by Priceline because they all look the same to me (Napa, Fairfield, Petulama). Which is the best area to stay in versus which is the most touristy area? (I heard that Sonoma Valley is actually nicer if you want to get away from the crowd.) I am not fussed about the type of wineries which we are close to - basically, we want a lovely place (3.5*-4*) for a one night out in the valley (If I may just add, we are honeymooners).

As usual, we will use the PRICELINE link to bid for the hotel as is what we have been doing with our other purchases :)

Hi Hookedontravel - I am familiar with the area and have been bidding myself for September. Your trip is much sooner, and I've heard occupancy is down, but it's unfortunate you're trying for a one night/Saturday stay. In Napa and Sonoma, many places don't want to accept reservations for one night if it's Saturday. Sun-Wed would probably be easier.

If you want to be in a very nice area and hotel, you probably want to bid for the Sonoma or Napa regions only. I'd also recommend Calistoga, but they only seem to have 2* and below available. Fairfield is not really in the valley - it's a flat area nearby known for an outlet mall and not much else. Petaluma is a nice enough town, but I'd consider it the ag/industrial center of Sonoma. Santa Rosa/Rohnert Park are more like suburbs. Healdsburg might be another good choice. Napa, St. Helena, Yountville, Calistoga, Sonoma, Healdsbug, Geyserville - these are all towns I would consider to be true scenic Wine Country locations.

There are some rebid possibilities, so I'd start bidding now and see what happens. I'd also investigate special deals on Travelzoo and HW TravelTicker. I also know that Westin is having some specials (there's a new Westin in Napa), so check that out, too. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, hookedontravel.

(And that was a nice survey of the various areas and towns around Wine Country, Gallus50!)

Unfortunately I think your $60 limit is way low for a 4* or 3.5* in Napa or Sonoma. $100-150 might be more realistic, esepcially on a Saturday night. The winning bids you see in the $50's and $60's are usually for hotels in Santa Rosa, Petaluma, Fairfield, etc....the surrounding communities that Gallus50 mentioned that are more urban or suburban in character than Napa/Sonoma.

HOTWIRE is a good barometer of what PRICELINE rates might be and checking 5/30 Hotwire has these in Napa:

4* $252

2.5* $159

2* $124

That 2* might be something like a Travelodge, so $60 for a 3.5* just isn't likely.

And HOTWIRE has no inventory at all in Sonoma, Calistoga, St Helens, or Healdsburg on Saturday night.

I'm wondering if your Saturday in Wine Country is one night of a multi-night itinerary? If it is could you stay in Napa/Sonoma on Sunday night instead of Saturday? I think you'll find MANY more options and better prices if you can.....but still not $60 for a 3.5* probably.

If your date is fixed and $60 is your true limit then you might need to bid in Santa Rosa/Petaluma/Rohnert Park areas and drive to Wine Country. Many people do that when Napa/Sonoma hotel prices are out of reach, and you can still have a fine time.

Another alternative: $60-70 may be enough for a 3.5* in Fisherman's Wharf; another popular honeymoon destination.

Your thoughts?

Thanks for the clarifications Colfax. After taking a reality check via your comments -sheepish-, I think realistically, our maximum budget for 1 night stay in Napa/Sonoma will be about $100. We are actually driving up from the coastal area to Napa and thought we would put up at night in Napa region. Our itinerary is pretty fixed and we are headed to SF after Napa so don't think we will want to stay in Fisherman Wharf that night although that was a great suggestion.

Like I mentioned, we are not too fussed about the areas that we are staying because we are not particular about our wines or the wineries we go to and are just looking to spend 1 nice night in wine country, to be able to experience the peaceful and serenity of the wine region. We will be driving up so I guess (and hope) that even if we don't stay in Napa/ Sonoma per se, we should be able to get around places in Napa / Sonoma easily (I hope we dont run into weekend traffic!). We don't mind 3* hotels for $100 (if at all possible).

What say you? Thanks in advance!

So do you want to try first for a 3* in this area for up to $100? If so, which zone(s) are you willing to bid?

... or do you want to look for something less expensive i the more outlying areas? (if so, which zones are acceptable)

I've never been to this area so i'll leave it for the others to suggest what might be best for your situation.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My suggestion is that you bid to $100 for a 4* in Napa or Sonoma zones.

Then bid to $100 for a 3.5*. Then to $100 for a 3*.

If you don't get anything then try for a 3.5* in Santa Rosa-Rohnert Park-Petaluma, starting around $50 or $60. (3.5* is the highest offered in that zone).

If price is more important than location then skip the Napa/Sonoma bidding and go right to SR-RP-P, which will cost less. And forget about about a honeymoon night in Fairfield.

Let us know which plan you prefer (Napa/Sonoma first or SR-RP-P first) and someone will suggest a strategy.

Please use this PRICELINE link when you bid.

Colfax - I was just about to suggest the exact same plan when I saw your post. Great minds think alike!

I also agree that Fairfield is not the place for a honeymoon, though Santa Rosa may be fine, especially at a good price.

One more thing - there are free rebids for 4*, and one free rebid at 3.5*. They will give you a little wiggle room.

Let us know what happens, hookedontravel, and please us the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links from BB.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone

Update: We decided that due to the prohibitive prices, we would prefer to stay in the cheaper area of Petulama instead of Napa / Sonoma. Also, to avoid Flamingo Resort on PRICELINE, we decided to book our hotel through HOTWIRE as the prices were relatively decent and we were sure that we would be able to get Doubletree based on the amenities shown.

Results as follows:

$76 per night, 4* Santa Rosa - Rohnert Park - Petaluma

Hotel: Doubletree Sonoma Wine Country

Amenities: Fitness Centre, Pool, Restaurant, Business Centre, High Speed Internet

Note that this is different (order) frm the amenities listed on the Pinned HOTWIRE link to hotels in California. I was able to identify this hotel because another member has just updated his win on the forum. So you may want to list this as the alternative combination of amenities :)

We got the hotel room through your HOTWIRE link :) Thanks so much for everything

Good that you were flexible enough to switch gears and find a nice hotel in Wine Country within your budget. You might let the Doubletree know that you'll be staying there on your honeymoon and inquire if any upgrades are available. Upgrades and extras aren't guaranteed on a PRICELINE reservations but from time to time honeymooners have reported getting an upgrade. Doesn't hurt to ask. Enjoy!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]