Priceline Hotel: 4* Newark (Jersey City) Westin

silhouette
By silhouette,
in

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Yes, given the current economic conditions it is possible, but rates are date specific so we'll have to give it a try to see if low rates are available for your specific dates. Let us know which zone(s) you're willing to accept and you're maximum bid we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your reply.

I'm pretty flexible with the hotels as long as they are of 4* and located conveniently such that its easy to get to the Metro for ease of sight-seeing. The areas I'm looking at are Central Park south, Midtown East and West and perhaps Times Square.

I'm also interested in accommodations in Jersey City in the event that I can't get a nice hotel in NYC at my desired rates. Do I start another thread there for desired accommodations in Jersey City?

My maximum for NYC would be USD130. Otherwise, I'll just find accommodation in Jersey.

I'm new to Priceline and would really appreciate your help in forming a strategy.

No need to start a NEW TOPIC for Jersey City, but as it seems you'll be trying PRICELINE first for Manhattan, i don't see much point in opening the Jersey City discussion just yet as it may be a moot point (if you're successful for a 4* in NYC)

I'm pretty flexible with the hotels as long as they are of 4* and located conveniently such that its easy to get to the Metro...
When using PRICELINE you're subject to their rating system and determination in regards to what qualifies as a 4* hotel. You can see the Pricleine Hotel List for hotels reported to the board to determine if you'd be happy with those listed there... keeping in mind that it is not a finite list and you could be the first to report a new hotel to the board. Of the hotels reported to the board at the 4* level in the zones you've indicated, they're all generally well located to the subway, imo.

If you're comfortabel to move forward for a 4* hotel, let us know if you want to include the Times Square zone in your bidding or not, and we'll suggest a strategy to follow up to a $130 bid price.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received a very nice deal at this new property (only opened about 2 months).

Hope you're happy with the results and this works well for your needs.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICLINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Hi,

I need to extend my stay at The Westin - check in on 22nd instead of 23rd. So i tried the 'extend night' option provided and I didn't manage to extend my stay for the same price. Priceline proposed an extension at a rate of USD124 but I didn't take this up. Any comments if I were to try to bid for extension in a new bid? Or is it better if I just take up at rate that PL offered?

And the thing is, my husband will be arriving at the hotel earlier than me (he'll touchdown in morning while I'll touchdown in the evening) and I made the reservation in my name. Is it possible to change the name of the person doing the check-in?

Any comments if I were to try to bid for extension in a new bid? Or is it better if I just take up at rate that PL offered?
It depends if you're willing to change hotels or not. If you bid on PRICELINE you may be able to get a lower price than offered, but you also may not receive the same hotel (and the Hyatt on the Hudson has recently been upgraded to the 4* level by PRICELINE, making it the same rating as the Westin)

my husband will be arriving at the hotel earlier than me (he'll touchdown in morning while I'll touchdown in the evening) and I made the reservation in my name. Is it possible to change the name of the person doing the check-in?
Call the hotel and i wouldn't ask for a name change (in those terms) as this can often be a 'no-no' with some hotels... let them know that you have a reservation and your husband will arriving before you, and if they can "add his name to the reservation" so that he can check-in when he arrives since you won't be arriving until later in the day.

Thank you for your suggestions. I've managed to add his name to the reservation.

I tried to book the extension but this time round, I received a message saying that they are unable to extend the stay. Do you have any idea if the extension is a one-off things? Such that if we don't accept it the first time offered, it won't be offered again?

I tried to book the extension but this time round, I received a message saying that they are unable to extend the stay. Do you have any idea if the extension is a one-off things? Such that if we don't accept it the first time offered, it won't be offered again?

Yes, the add a night offer is a one-off thing. Once you tried to extend your stay is the offer gone, success or not. You can try this offer until 11am on the day of check-out provided the hotel allows same-day booking. Otherwise is the deadline midnight the night before check-out.

Hope this helps.

Yellowdog.

Hi Yellowdog,

Yep, you are right. It was indeed a one-time offer.

i would like to check if anyone has any idea for cheaper transport alternatives besides taxis from JFK airport to The Westin? I can hardly find any shuttle available and I read that taxis are costly. Apparently, a taxi ride from JFK to the Westin will cost more than my one night stay at the hotel.

How about if I take a shuttle to a hotel in downtown Manhattan and then take a cab from that hotel to the Westin at Jersey City? Any idea how much will the taxi fare set me back by?

Thanks!

Yes, the add a night offer is a one-off thing. Once you tried to extend your stay is the offer gone, success or not. You can try this offer until 11am on the day of check-out provided the hotel allows same-day booking. Otherwise is the deadline midnight the night before check-out.

Hope this helps.

Yellowdog.

i would like to check if anyone has any idea for cheaper transport alternatives besides taxis from JFK airport to

The Westin IIRC is actually above the PATH station Panavonia\Newport

The cheapest option fron JFK is to get the Airtrain and then the subway to one of the PATH stations in Manhattan and then to Pavonia

How practical that is for you (luggage\time\comfortable) is your call.

How about if I take a shuttle to a hotel in downtown Manhattan and then take a cab from that hotel to the Westin at Jersey City? Any idea how much will the taxi fare set me back by?

The second cab would cost you dear as IIRC you have to pay double the fare as they cannot pickup fares in Jersey.

The shuttle\taxi to a PATH station in Manhattan is possibly a quicker\comfortable ride.

Not being a local (and too tight to ride in a cab :) ) I've no idea of cost. I'm sure thereuare does!

Taking the PATH may not be as convenient if you are arriving late at night or on the weekends. Normally, you could take a Hoboken bound PATH from the WTC station, or a Journal Square train from any of the midtown Manhattan stations (the furthest being 33rd Street). But to get to Pavonia from the WTC in the off-hours, you have to take the Newark bound train, get off at Grove Street, and then get onto a 33rd Street train. From anywhere along the 33rd Street line, the train will detour to Hoboken first before getting to Pavonia. Late at night, the trains get filled very quickly at each Manhattan terminus, as PATH service goes only every 30 minutes after midnight.

I would warn you that the elevators at the PATH stations are highly unreliable, especially at 33rd Street down to the train platform. I've never come across it when it was not out of service. It is also a long trek from the Pavonia train platform uphill to the station doors along a wheelchair-friendly walkway, and the elevator is also wonky there.

Proud to be Canadian!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]