Priceline Hotel: Need bidding assistance, 3* or better

BHL
By BHL,
in

We're staying in the LA area next week, probably 3/23 to 3/26, and I'm a little overwhelmed because of all the choices, but to help get my started, can someone suggest a priceline area anywhere around LA or surrounding, considering safety, price, and traffic? Also any hotel zones in that area to try to get or stay away from? I'll also need one in the area for 3/29-3/30 (staying in the San Diego or Carlsbad/Escondido area 3/26 to probably 3/30).

Is Orange County a good choice? Else Inland Empire or San Fernando Valley? We're going to theme parks which are in different areas (Six Flags, Universal, Knott's...no Disney) so it's hard to pick a certain area based on what we're there for.

Thank you

I need bidding assistance for a 3* or better in the LA area for 3/23 to 3/26. I realize now (after checking all the prices below) that these are in different regions so can't all be bid on at the same time, so I would like to try for Valencia first. I'm not really sure what my 2nd choice zone or region would be.

I'm having a hard time figuring my highest bid since there aren't many recent winning bid posts, but I'm guessing $60 or $65. It would be lower if I have to try for other zones or regions.

Inland Empire (Ontario)

3.5* Doubletree Airport - $149

3.5* Hilton - $149

3.5* Marriott Ontario Airport - $149

3* Hotel Indigo - $129

Inland Empire (Pomona - Diamond Bar)

3.5* Sheraton Suites - (full name is Sheraton Suites Fairplex) $132

3* Holiday Inn Select - $114

Los Angeles - San Fernando Valley (Burbank - Universal City - Glendale)

3* Hilton Glendale and Executive Meeting Center (previously 3.5*) - $199

3* Holiday Inn Burbank-Media Center - $149

3* Holiday Inn Universal Studios (Beverly Garland) - $152.95

3* Marriott Airport and Convention Center (previously 3.5*) (was Hilton Airport and Convention Center) - $179

Los Angeles - San Fernando Valley (Simi Valley)

3* Grand Vista - $90

Los Angeles - San Fernando Valley (Valencia - Stevenson Ranch)

3.5* Hyatt Valencia - $149

3* Courtyard - $134

3* Hilton Garden Inn (previously 2.5*) - $129

3* Residence Inn Santa Clarita Valencia - $149

Los Angeles - San Fernando Valley (Van Nuys - Mission Hills)

3* Airtel Plaza - $149

Los Angeles - San Fernando Valley (Warner Center - Woodland Hills)

3.5* Hilton - $209

3.5* Marriott - I can't find it. Closest thing I can find is Courtyard Los Angeles Sherman Oaks $179

3* Radisson - (name is Radisson Hotel Chatsworth) $97

3* Staybridge Suites Chatsworth - $136

Ventura (Thousand Oaks)

3.5* Hyatt Westlake Village - (name is Hyatt Westlake Plaza in Thousand Oaks) $199

3.5* Renaissance Agoura Hills - $194.65

I'm just trying to pick areas that aren't right in central LA to avoid the worst traffic areas as much as I can, and considering safety. We're going to Six Flags and Universal during this period, which are all on the north side, so I picked areas north and east of central LA. Plus the Santa Monica Pier, and a few other sites in that area and Hollywood.

If there's a good area in Orange County, we could probably do that too, but I've run out of time checking prices, so I skipped it. But it seems kind of in the mess of things, and being south, I guess would take driving right though central LA to get to the parks. Forgive me if my thinking is ignorant but I've never been to LA. Finding hotels in LA sure is overwhelming. I asked for help here but didn't get a response (perhaps a day wasn't a long enough wait).

Also I'm not sure if (Burbank - Universal City - Glendale) and (Van Nuys - Mission Hills) are going to be good choices considering traffic, etc. And I'd rather not have to pay to park.

And I originally considered (Riverside - San Bernardino) and got current prices, but I guess they're going to be too far away.

If I should not pick any of these zones, please let me know.

The three attractions you said you want to visit---Six Flags, Universal, and Santa Monica---are spread out. Wherever you stay you'll be driving but you want to minimize your commute time by picking a central area.

From driving standpoint I think Priceline's Burbank-Universal-Glendale zone would be best because it's most central. B-U-G zone will also probably be less expensive than Six Flags or Santa Monica areas. You can often win a 3.5* or 3* in B-U-G zone in the $50's or $60's.

You shouldn't plan on free parking at a 3* or higher hotel anywhere in LA area. If you happen to get free parking consider yourself lucky.

If you're going to need more than one bed you should look on Hotwire instead of Priceline.

I'm going on vacation in the morning and after this post I won't be able to respond again. There are others on the board who know LA and hopefully can offer their own suggestions.

When you decide which zone you want someone can offer a specific bid strategy.

Thanks for the tips Colfax. All of the hotels I checked pricing for (and listed above) in Valencia (Six Flags) are lower than those in B-U-G. So, do you still think B-U-G would offer lower winning bids? Also at least one hotel I called in Valencia (ie. Hyatt) has free parking, which the saving would be cheaper than the gas to drive from B-U-G.

I'd mentioned in the OP that I would like to try for Valencia first. I hope that wasn't missed and the reason why no one had offered a bidding strategy yet. I'm going to wait just a bit longer this morning to see if someone posts one, otherwise then I'll just have to go for it and pray for the best.

I suggested B-U-G over Valencia because it's more central than Valencia and usually costs less. It's a long drive from Valencia to Santa Monica. But as you mention, the Hyatt Valencia has free parking. If Valencia is your first choice let us know your bidding limit for 3.5* and 3* in Valencia and someone will suggest a bidding strategy. (Not me though; I'm waiting for my ride to the airport!)

I'm not sure, but we may end up going to Santa Monica on our way from SNA to the (hopefully) hotel up north of LA. Or else on our way from LA to San Diego.

I mentioned $60-$65 and asked if that would be enough. To be honest, it's higher than that, because of the time constraint, and considering the high regular rates. I'd pretty much go with whatever you suggested. :) This trip was a last minute thing.

Based upon all the info above, what are your current thoughts... bidding for a 3* in Valencia first? What is your maximum bid? Since you researched all the other areas, i'm not sure how much of a desire you have to stay in this area and therefore how high you're willing to bid for a 3* hotel here.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Based upon all the info above, what are your current thoughts... bidding for a 3* in Valencia first?
Sorry but I don't quite follow you. I'd stated that I wanted to try for a 3* in Valencia. And I was the one asking for feedback, so I'm not sure what you're asking me.
What is your maximum bid?
I mentioned $60-$65, but also asked for feedback on what to bid.
Since you researched all the other areas, i'm not sure how much of a desire you have to stay in this area and therefore how high you're willing to bid for a 3* hotel here.
I researched all areas because I don't know much about the areas and didn't know where I wanted to stay. But since then, considering the amount of time it would take (distance/traffic) to drive from those up to six flags, I thought Valencia would be the best choice, unless there was a great price difference.

Hoping for some help, I'd already waited longer than I should have to bid (just meaning, since I'm running out of time), so I went ahead and just tried for a 3.5*, since there's only 1 zone with a 3.5, offering 5 rebid zones. I bid up to $85, but it still wasn't accepted. And as the prices I checked show, it's much higher during the week, but I wouldn't think the win would have to be even as high as I bid. Also, I had no idea what to bid, since there's only one reported win in the past year, and that was back around the beginning of January, and on a weekend.

FYI, here are the notes I kept to keep up with where I was while bidding (closing browser between all rebids but the very first). Did I do something wrong, and perhaps that's why even $85 wasn't accepted?

Valencia $60, add: Van Nuys, $65

Valencia, Burbank, $67

Valencia, Simi Valley, $68

Valencia, Studio City, $70

Valencia, Warner Center, $72

Valencia, Burbank, Van Nuys, 73

Valencia, Simi Valley, Van Nuys, 74

Valencia, Simi Valley, Van Nuys, Burbank, 75

Valencia, Warner Center, Van Nuys, 76

Valencia, Warner Center, Van Nuys, Burbank, 77

Valencia, Studio City, Van Nuys, 78

Valencia, Studio City, Van Nuys, Burbank, 79

Valencia and Simi Valley and Warner Center, 80

Valencia and Simi Valley and Warner Center, Van Nuys, 81

Valencia and Simi Valley and Warner Center, Van Nuys, Burbank, 82

Valencia and Simi Valley and Warner Center and Studio City, 83

Valencia and Simi Valley and Warner Center and Studio City, Van Nuys, 84

Valencia and Simi Valley and Warner Center and Studio City, Van Nuys, Burbank, 85

So if I want to try for a 3* now, can I select 3* and rebid with just Valencia selected? And with just 2 shots at this, with no rebids, how much should we bid? The only recent reported winning bids are on weekends, except for one, $65 ... 2/12/09-2/13/09

Given that Valencia is your first choice, and you can book direct there for $149/nite, how much of a discount do you need before you look at alternate zones? This isn't something we can determine for you as each person's answer will be different, based upon how much they want to stay in Valencia vs. the other possible zones.

If $85 is your limit for Valencia, which zone(s) do you want to consider next? Also, note that HOTWIRE has a 3* in the Valencia-Six Flags zone for $89/nite, but as that zone's boundaries are different than PRICELINE's Valencia zone, you need to check if that area would meet your needs for this stay.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I was just asking for someone's opinion on how much it might take to win.

A 3* on hotwire just dropped a bit to $86. It's zone is just the immediate Valencia area, so that's fine. From what I remember, there's not a lot of differences in taxes and fees (?) between priceline and hotwire, and there are no 3* hotels listed in the hotel list for Valencia, so knowing nothing about them (they may be the same ones), I'd say $85 is my max bid, else I after that I guess I would continue with just a 3.5* until $90, then after that just get the 3* on hotwire.

I'm about out of time and don't really have time to work on other zones now, and I'll have to buy something by around 9PM tonight.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]