Hotwire Hotel: 4* south and west of loop for $80?

huskytravel
By huskytravel,
in

Others that know the area can comment further, but as a first time visitor i wouldn't choose to stay there. Ideally, you want to be on North Michigan Ave.

My first visit to Chicago on my own (ie- staying at a hotel, as i had been there many times prior with friends that live in the area) i had stayed in the Loop Area. This was 'ok' and i'd be willing to stay there again for the right price, but ideally the NMA (north michigan ave), Water Tower, Mag Mile, Wacker Dr, etc areas are more centrally located to 'see' Chicago. If those areas don't show any promise within your budget than i would suggest trying the Loop zone.

I would recommend one of those areas before i tried considered the S+W Loop zone.

Priceline is often quite a bit less than Hotwire in Chicago, but whatever you are comfortable is fine with us... afterall, you're the one staying there :)

Let us know if you want to stick with this zone (and we'll try to identify this property), or if you'd prefer a more centrally located zone we'll advise what we believe to be your best options. If you're willing to give Priceline a try let us know what the most you would want to bid is.

If you're not used to Priceline and/or Hotwire your head may be spinning right now :) , but feel free to ask any questions you may have regarding the above info.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hyatt McCormick Place. Very good if you're attending event there, otherwise pretty inconvenient. Hassle to drive, cab or train, compared to Loop, NMA, River North. Impossible, or at least very unwise, to walk. We've stayed there when the town was full, knowing exactly what we were getting into including the $27

parking. It is the closest really nice hotel if you're visiting the University of Chicago/ Hyde Park districts, but you won't want to walk there from the hotel.

Hint: it's the only 4* Priceline in "Greater Chicago" zone, and will frequently go for a $50 range bid. Make sure to look at Priceline's map; it is really more of a

"Greater Near South Side" zone.

Looks like the 28th is the 'extra cost' day; the same dates ending the 27th have lower rates. Two large conventions arrive then. The 4* $87 Hotwire 'Loop' hotel will be either the Michigan Ave Hilton or the Hilton Palmer House. Both nice, and the Palmer House is right by the State Street Carson's and Marshall Field's Dept. stores, as well as the Art Institute. But if you use Priceline for these dates, you'll probably get something for $65 - $70. provided you're willing to bid/book the last day separately and pay a few bucks more for just that day. Or something may turn up in the River North or N Mich. Ave. zones. It can be an adventure to change hotels, but for saving about $200, worth the effort.

Stayed at the Palmer House about 4 years ago for a trade show. This is one of the oldest, continuously operated hotels in the US. At the time, the hotel was in great shape and maintained well. The rooms were well appointed, but small. This hotel is centrally located and if you are flying into O'Hare, you can take the "elevated" train (not sure if this is the right name) to a station that is about two blocks from the Palmer House, the fare was about $3.00 or so. It was great whizzing by all of the cars that were stuck in rush hour traffic trying to get into town. Make dinner reservations now for a great steak house, Gene and Georgettis, one of the best independantly owned steak restaurants in the country.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]