Priceline Hotel: 3* Orange County (Disneyland) Radisson Maingate

dave
By dave,
in

Not sure if this is the right board to post in, but it seems like the admin here are a nice bunch, so trying my luck here for some help.

Scenario

Staying 3 nights in Anaheim, of which 1 day will be spent in Disneyland. Will rent a car from airport.

Queries / Concerns

1. Do you think I could get a better room rate by checking rates when I am actually in Anaheim (since motels are a dime a dozen along West Katella, etc) as opposed to say, booking online via conventional means (e.g. using Orbitz and not through bidding)? I do recall obtaining good walk-in rates the last time i was there before the proliferation of the Internet.

2. Is staying within close proximity of Disneyland preferable (in view of more eating establishments within walking distance) or could I obtain a better hotel / deal by staying further away from Disneyland (e.g. Buena Park area?) bearing in mind that I will be renting a car.

3. I found a motel with an attractive rate of approximately $45 & had everything - microwave, fridge, good location. However, at tripadvisor.com reviews of the motel ranged from so-so to extremely poor! So that cast some doubts in my head about the place. The next best alternative was listed @ $58 - looks a safe bet but of course costs more. Any recommendations for a budget of around $50 but to include fridge & microwave?

Thanks in advance for any advice given :)

Administrators - Please feel free to move this thread to the right folder if it is deemed inappropriate to post here. Thanks! :)

I've been to Disneyland about five times, and have stayed at varying distances. Being within walking distance is great, but a shuttle is not so bad, nor is driving into the park. Also, you may notice that just about every single place in Anaheim seems to claim to be within one block of the park, but in most cases it's not really true.

What motels did you find for $45 and $58?

If you bid for a 3* hotel on Priceline, it's quite likely you will get something in the $30-40 range + taxes and fees. However, you are likely to *not* get a fridge or microwave. And most likely you won't be within walking distance (or odds are 50/50 at best).

My last three visits were at these places:

Best Western Anaheim (right across from the gates) - nice enough, fridge, small pool, can't remember about microwave

Howard Johnson - very nice, fridge, two pools, no microwave unless you pay extra, 7 minutes walk (or take shuttle)

Both of these were close to family-style restaurants (just avoid the one called "Mom's!). I got them through an Alaska Airlines package

Coast Anaheim - nice, good pool, no fridge or microwave, 2 restaurants in building, 10 minutes walk from park (or take shuttle)

I got this one through Priceline. Since the time period was Christmas/New Year's, I paid $45/night + taxes and fees.

Hotwire might be a good option too.

Thanks for the quick reply Willtravel.

$45 for a place called Parkside Inn. $58 for Econolodge.

Best Western and Howard Johnson are above $60 if i recall correctly.

Did a quick check at Hotwire, this "Best Value" deal came up through the search.

"Anaheim - Disneyland North Anaheim - Disneyland Areas - See map

Selected amenities include: Restaurant(s), Pool(s), Fitness Center, Laundry Facilities (self-service). Best Value!" $39 per room per night Rated 3*.

Any ideas on possible hotels or any comments on this one? Seems to be similar to what you mentioned about Priceline, as this also falls within the 30-40 range and is 3*.

I checked the USENET group alt.disney.disneyland (also a good resource) at groups.google.com.

The Parkside Inn has pretty terrible reviews there also. Personally I wouldn't book it. It's also pretty far to be considered walking distance; you could do it certainly, but you'll be doing so much walking in the park anyway that you might want to save your feet.

Is the Econolodge the Econolodge Anaheim North? If so, I don't really know anything about it. It will no doubt be a very no-frills type place. It's definitely not walking distance.

I can't say what that hotel you posted is. I would assume that you won't be walking distance and that you will have to drive in, given the Hotwire map for Disneyland North (last time I looked it includes a section on the other side of the I-5).

What dates are you looking for?

I checked the USENET group alt.disney.disneyland (also a good resource) at groups.google.com.

The Parkside Inn has pretty terrible reviews there also. Personally I wouldn't book it. It's also pretty far to be considered walking distance; you could do it certainly, but you'll be doing so much walking in the park anyway that you might want to save your feet.

Is the Econolodge the Econolodge Anaheim North? If so, I don't really know anything about it. It will no doubt be a very no-frills type place. It's definitely not walking distance.

I can't say what that hotel you posted is. I would assume that you won't be walking distance and that you will have to drive in, given the Hotwire map for Disneyland North (last time I looked it includes a section on the other side of the I-5).

What dates are you looking for?

Am looking for dates 3-6 Sep.

There are 2 Ecolodges within the price range - Ecolodge Maingate (South Harbor Boulevard) & Ecolodge At The Park (West Katella).

About the Ecolodge South Harbor you mentioned - website claims it's a Disney good neighbor hotel & has received apparent good ratings from another site as well...will have to tread carefully then before deciding.

Thanks for the USENET group as well as the valuable information provided so far, it's been an interesting searching exercise. :)

Not to step on any feet here but I must be missing something .Why would you want to pay $45-$60 for an Ecolodge when you could get a 3* for less?

Its not that bad to take a shuttle to and from the hotels and driving to the park is just as easy.Even the hotels right across the street are a little bit of a walk.

Just my two cents.

I can't speak for Dave, but it sounds like getting a fridge and microwave is important to him.

In that case, Priceline wouldn't work. I have to say I did not find the fridge to be as useful as I thought it would be, and when I didn't have it on the last visit to Disneyland, I didn't miss it. I just bought small amounts of food as needed - there was a 7-11 nearby.

There's also the free parking issue, but if the Priceline price is cheap enough, that makes up for any parking charge (I'd expect about $8/night).

Not to step on any feet here but I must be missing something .Why would you want to pay $45-$60 for an  Ecolodge when you could get a 3* for less?

Its not that bad to take a shuttle to and from the hotels and driving to the park is just as easy.Even the hotels right across the street are a little bit of a walk.

Just my two cents.

No worries, all comments are welcome :)

As WillTravel mentioned, having a fridge (and maybe to a lesser extent microwave) seems important to me as I usually stock up on cold drinks whenever I am on holiday.

So, while 3* @ Priceline might get me a good rate, my main concern would be the lack of a fridge and a need to incur paid parking (the $45-60 offers free parking).

By the way, a bit off-topic: Any views on whether i should go to Disneyland on 4 Sep as the park opens till midnight (but potentially very crowded as it's the Labor Day weekend) or delay it till the following week?

The following weekend would have shorter operating hours but should be less crowded. Thanks!

3* Raddison Maingate Anaheim

Dates 9/3 - 9/6

Winning Bid $33

Special thanks to thereuare for providing me valuable advice and guiding me through every step of the way.

betterbidding rulez and don't forget to bid using savingsbarn.com as a starting point :)

Thanks for the information.

:) thereuare managed to convince me that a fridge wasn't all that necessary. A six-pack in a ice bucket will do just as well :)

By the way will be bidding for another period: 09-13 Sep very soon. Do you by any chance know if PL places the Hyatt in the Garden Grove or Disneyland location categorization? Thought of trying something different.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]