flight to Oslo, Norway

lee1
By lee1,
in

We are planning a possible trip to Norway this summer, arriving in Oslo. The planned departure is around 6/28 and the planned return is around 7/20. However, we are fairly flexible in that we could depart up to a week later and return up to a week later. I've looked at airports that I could go to including PHL, BWI, EWR. However, the best rates I've found so far range from $1100 to $1200. Can I do better? Should I wait? If we go we will be on a friend's sailboat on the west coast of Norway - so package deals involving lodging would not be any help in cutting costs.

Any tips are appreciated.

thanks!

I've looked at airports that I could go to including PHL, BWI, EWR. However, the best rates I've found so far range from $1100 to $1200.

What is the breakdown of base ticket and fees/taxes?

How much would you be willing to pay in order to lock in a flight now?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

here is the cost information for one person

$863.00

Taxes & Fees $227.10

Booking Fee $7.00

Total $1,097.10

This is with a departure out of PHL on June 29 and returning on July 22 - the airlines are multiple starting with United going to SAS and then SAS on the way back with US Air on the final leg.

I'd like to keep my total costs around 800 per person if possible.

You have virtually an unlimited number of re-bids when bidding on airfare thru PRICELINE, as per the second post of this thread: Priceline Airfare Bidding

I would start with ~$400 bid (total cost ~$625) and then increase about $10-$25 per re-bid, up to your $800 total cost.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Just an idea...

If you were to add Dulles (IAD) to your list of airports that you are willing to fly out of, you might try Aerlingus. You may be able to find an affordable flight to Dublin, Ireland, and check SAS or Lufthansa for connecting flights into Oslo. I would assume that if you're going to be gone for almost a month, you'll have too much checked baggage to make Ryan Air an affordable option from Dublin to Oslo. They have really cheap fares, but charge crazy rates for checked baggage.

If you were to use Aerlingus and chose to stay a night or two site seeing in Dublin, you could always use www.BetterBidding.com to find a hotel.

Good luck with your search :)

Thanks for your tip. I will try that. As to luggage we have to pack lightly anyway because we are going to be spending almost all of our time on a friend's sailboat. I am familar with Ryan and know a little about their luggage restrictions/charges.

• 2 weeks later...

So far I have bid up to $550 per ticket with no luck. I've used your PRICELINE link so I hope that even if my bidding has failed thus far you get some credit for my use of the link. I thought I would share today's interesting result. After I bid and was told the bid was not accepted I received something of a counter offer. I was given two offers by Priceline. One was that I could purchase both tickets for a total of $1049 based upon a specific flight schedule. The other option was an opaque schedule where the offer was both tickets for $1199. I thought it was very strange that the opaque offer was a higher price. Of course I did not take either offer and I will continue to re-bid over the next few days.

Today I bid up to $725 with fees the final total was $877. The bid was still rejected. At this point I don't plan to raise my offer since the ticket can now be obtained at retail for $1044 and I can choose my flights. I'll decide by tomorrow and close off this thread at that time.

According to ITA, you can do $978 for BWI-OSL (change in EWR) on Continental.

Thanks, but ROC is a two hour drive (we live in the sticks) and BWI is about 4.5 hours so the cost difference would be lost in transit. I appreciate the thought though.

I made one more effort by adding buffalo as a departure and adding $25 to my previous bid thus reaching a total of $902 including taxes. My bid was not successful so I will give up on bidding for this trip and purchase my ticket directly.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]