Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency

stickman
By stickman,
in

I'll be on a roadtrip through california and nevada for three weeks, and I'll be in NYC 10 days more. This is my first bidding attempt using priceline and I'm completely lost about where to start. I don't mind splitting my bids and staying in different hotels, since it could even improve the experience, but I don't even know what to do.

NYC dates are 7/16 to 7/26. Is it too early to start bidding? I thought I could try to get Jersey City Hyatt for 3 or 4 nights as everyone agrees It has good connection with Manhattan (and it can be a good deal) and then for the remaing days try to get any decent Manhattan hotel (3* I suppose) in the tourists zone, with $110-$120 as upper limit. BTW we'll be 3 people staying and would like to get just one room. Any hint?

Any ideas about where (and when) to start?

Thanks.

I'll start by saying that 3 people in a room is usually not a problem... but in NYC is can be a very big problem. Hotels in NYC are notoriously small; so small in fact that many can't even fit a roll-a-way bed in them. It's up to you if you want to try it anyway, but i feel it's important to make you aware of the risks that you assume as there is a chance that there could be a problem.

If you decide to move forward anyway...

I would start by trying to get some nites in Jersey City (as success/failure will determine what dates to use for NYC). Their low rate is more likely to be available on weekends (rather than mid-week) so I would begin by:

Bid $37 Jersey City 6/16-6/20, if rejected...

Bid $37 Jersey City 6/16-6/19, if rejected...

Bid $37 Jersey City 6/16-6/18

Try the above first and let us know how you make out and we'll take it from there.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well... tried 6/16-6/20 and priceline asked to change something, so I changed check-out date to 6/19 and sort of worked since it asked for my credit card information as it was being declined (I assume priceline accepted my bid).

I'm from Spain and trying to use a Visa credit card through the uk priceline website,but no luck so far, it always gets rejected :)

@WillTravel: I already tried the .hk and .sg option but both of them, redirect me to octopustravel.com when trying to select a worldwide hotel, and It doesn't work like any other priceline website, in fact, it looks completely different.

Just a question... does the CC go through a manual check during the process?

This is the data I've used for the card:

Credit Card Type: VISA

CC Number: NUMBER

Expiration Date: DATE

First & Last Name: NAME

Billing Address: My Spanish Address

City: VIGO

County: PONTEVEDRA

Postal Code: 36203

I also tried to change Postal Code and added a real UK one, but It didn't work either.

Is there anything in the profile I should check that could be causing a problem?

Thanks.

PS:

@thereuare: If you want, we can move this thread to a more suitable forum, since until this gets solved, it won't be bidding related :)

Well, It worked at last!

I don't know if this was a priceline problem during the weekend or if the changes I made in the Billing Address helped (I used a city, county and Zip Code from the UK).

I got 7/16 - 7/19.

First bid of ~$38 (21 pounds) for 7/16 - 7/20 was rejected.

Second bid of ~$38 (21 pounds) for 7/16 - 7/19 was accepted.

Hyatt Regency Jersey City On The Hudson

2 Exchange Place

Jersey City, New Jersey 07302

Check-In Date: Friday, July 16, 2004

Check-Out Date: Monday, July 19, 2004

Your Offer Price: ~$38.00 (21 pounds)

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 3

Now, I just need a strategy for the remaining days :)

Would it be wise trying to get the hyatt during the week or I should try to get some Manhattan hotel?

My biggest concern right now is what you said about third person accomodation.

Bidded in the UK priceline website.

First bid of ~$38 (21 pounds) for 7/16 - 7/21 was rejected.

Second bid of ~$38 (21 pounds) for 7/16 - 7/20 was accepted.

Hyatt Regency Jersey City On The Hudson

2 Exchange Place

Jersey City, New Jersey 07302

Check-In Date: Friday, July 16, 2004

Check-Out Date: Monday, July 19, 2004

Your Offer Price: ~$38.00 (21 pounds)

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 3

Please start a new thread for your remaing dates as this thread will be moved to the NJ section of the board.

I can't really advise you on the '3 in a room scenario' as there is a risk and only you can determine what level of risk you are willing to accept. Maybe Hotwire is a good alternative in hopes of finding a hotel that is known to be a bit 'roomier' than the others. Rates jump at the Hyatt (as you can see in your rejection for nites that included the 20th and 21st) so i don't think you have a very good chance of landing the Hyatt again (except may for the second weekend in your stay).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

what about using the add a night option to extend your stay ?

The question here is, is the Hyatt sold out on the 20th ? What does the Hyatt web page say ?

If it isn't sold out, then add a night should be able to extend by a day (assuming that PL has avail at the hyatt)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]