Priceline Hotel: 3* San Diego (Rancho Bernardo) Holiday Inn

RedSox87
By RedSox87,
in

I've been trying to get a nice hotel room for the 4th of July in San Diego or north of San Diego. However, Hotwire prices seem to go up around that time, and I haven't been successful with priceline either. I'm basically looking for a 2.5 or 3* accommodation for no more than 75, is this unrealistic for that particular day? I got a really nice 2.5* in Sorrento Mesa a week earlier for only 48 dollars (pre-tax), it just feels weird bidding so much higher.

Would it be better to wait longer until I'm closer to the 4th of July, or is that a dumb idea since I'm pretty sure all rooms are going to be occupied that day!

One last question (thanks for bearing with me!), what would be better: book 3rd and 4th of July separately, together or just try to win the 3rd and extend it a night if possible?

Of course I'll be using your PRICELINE link!

Thanks in advance

If you think that hotels will sell-out for the above dates than it would be better to book in advance. As well, remember that hotels offer deeply discounted rooms thru PRICELINE and HOTWIRE to fill excess inventory, so if they believe they will fill all rooms on their own, there is little reason for them to offer deep discounts for these dates (so they may offer no inventory to the opaque suppliers for these dates, or what they do offer, may not be as deeply discounted as during 'normal' demand periods). With this noted, i'm not noticing prices unusally high when searching for 7/3-7/5 in the 'downtown' area of San Diego.

What is the best rate you're able to find at an acceptable hotel thru traditional booking channels? (use our BetterChecker to assist in your rate search.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It's not for me to say whether you should lower your bid to 2*. In Sorrento Mesa and Mission Valley zones your 2* bid could get picked up by an Extended Stay America. Is an ESA acceptable to you?

Are the four zones you've bid the only zones you want? Would Downtown, Coastal, or Point Loma zones work?

Also, July 4 is on a Friday this year. Although I haven't checked rates it's possible that you'll have an easier time getting accepted on Thursday, July 3 than Friday, July 4. Are you willing to split your bid? With more than six weeks before your trip I think it's still early to split, but it's an option to keep in mind if you continue getting rejected for Thurs/Fri together.

Sure I'm willing to split, in fact.. tried it already with the same results (rejected). Downtown, coastal and Point Loma would be fine, however I don't really feel like paying for parking (and many of the hotels there seem to not be free :)).

I'm kinda torn between waiting (and perhaps ending up paying even more), or paying more right now since I'm sure those dates will fill up fast and the hotels won't unload many rooms!

I'll keep trying! Thanks for responding

What is the best rate you're able to find at an acceptable hotel thru traditional booking channels? (use our BetterChecker to assist in your rate search.

something like this:

120 dollars holiday inn rancho bernardo (holiday inn site)

135 dollars staybridge suites

and as for 2 star hotels (tried that too on priceline up to 75): priceline self offers the 2* Rodeway Inn Rancho Bernardo

for 79 as a fixed price (not the 'name your own price').

Seems like their inventory is tiny atm.

I am also looking for hotels in San Diego for July, but my dates are July 2nd week. There's not much (2.5*,3*) inventory w/ PRICELINE at the moment. I am going to wait for my dates to fall within a month before I change my strategy. I also have a (cancellable) 2* hotel as a backup for a part of my stay where the location is important. Good luck to you!

something like this:

120 dollars holiday inn rancho bernardo (holiday inn site)

135 dollars staybridge suites

Are either of the above cancellable?

If so i'd book one of the above and continue to try PRICELINE in the weeks ahead.

Please note from our support page that we're an affiliate of both the Holiday Inn and Staybridge Suites... please use our links if you book one of the above.

Keep us updated.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I managed to get a win in San Diego during the 4th of July :)

I bid 2.5* and got upgraded to a 3* in Rancho Bernardo. Don't remember my exact bidding strategy, but I started out around 50 using Miramar, Sorrento Mesa, Del Mar and Rancho Bernardo, and I won at 60!

Your Offer Price Per Room, Per Night: $60.00

Subtotal: $120.00

Taxes & Service Fees: $23.83

Total Charges*: $143.83

I'm happy!

Of course used your PRICELINE link!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]