Priceline Hotel: Clueless about NYC

GaryGnu
By GaryGnu,
in

I'm planning a family trip to NYC over spring break, and I really have no idea where to stay. I've been to NYC several times on day trips, and only stayed over once on business. I'm not planning on being in NYC the entire week of 3/15 - 3/22, probably just 5 of those days in between, therefore I am very flexible on the arrival and departure days. I assume it will cheaper during the week? Any suggestions on bidding strategy?

Thanks.

Gary

I'm assuming that MTE, MTW, UM/CPS, Times Square, and MTS would all be fine for your needs.

I'm not so sure $150 will be enough at this point in time, but at the 3* level you have two re-bid zones avaialble. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* MTE and MTW and MTS...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Times Square and UM/CPS...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and Times Square and MTS...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Times Square and MTW...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS and MTS and Times Square

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155 (if you get this far and would like to try the extra $5)

I'd bid thru each cycle above going thru the following dates:

3/17-3/22

3/15-3/20

Not sure if the 'middle' dates are ok for your plans, but if so you can continue on with:

3/16-3/21

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Select 3* MTE and MTW and MTS...

Select 3* Times Square and UM/CPS...

here->Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

At the point marked "here" above, I was flagged for a duplicate request. Was I supposed to wait 24 hours or did I do something wrong?

Those aren't your re-bid zones.

A re-bid zone is a zone which only contains star ratings lower than the minimum star rating you're bidding. See this link: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and ask any questions that you have and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...

Still have not given up on my dates yet... I'm planning to take a family of 4. I've read that some places have rooms with only one bed. Are some of these hotels likely to give me grief if I try to put 4 people in one of these rooms? My kids can sleep on the floor. That's not a problem.

The problem with NYC hotels is that many of them - even quite a few 4*s - have rooms that are as small as 200 square feet (and even slightly less than that). 250 square feet in a "non-upgraded" hotel room in NYC is starting to get on the bigger side. Some hotels may not have rooms with two beds. Many hotels do have max 2 on their rooms; you may be forced to pay for an upgrade to a larger 2 bed room at some hotels.

Any interest in Boston? Much cheaper on these dates. Chicago's also not too bad price-wise. Not sure where you're starting from, but the train to Chicago from NYC (or vice versa) has a 2-3 hour stretch between Albany and NYC that's absolutely gorgeous - the train goes along the shore of the Hudson River for just about that entire length.

A Boston Example:

When I look up 2 adults/2 kids for Boston for 3/18-21 on HOTWIRE (a similar discount service, like Priceline), I see a 4.5* (amenities: Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Laundry) in the Quincy Market/Financial District area. The price is $126. This would likely be a match for the Intercontinental Boston.

So, for $126 - really nice hotel, plus since you entered 2 adults/2 kids, you would be guaranteed some sort of bedding for your party. So, not a worry about getting grief like if you used Priceline (which only guarantees 1 bed/double occupancy) for NYC. And, beyond all that, you would be getting a 4.5* for much less than you've been bidding for a 3* in NYC for.

Still have not given up on my dates yet... I'm planning to take a family of 4. I've read that some places have rooms with only one bed. Are some of these hotels likely to give me grief if I try to put 4 people in one of these rooms? My kids can sleep on the floor. That's not a problem.

No offense, but I think you are nuts if you will try to get your family of 4 into a NYC hotel on a Priceline bid. Priceline only gaurantees 2 people per room and 1 double bed! Out of all the places you could choose to take that chance, NYC in High season is a rough bet. You will end up paying for a second room. I am surprised you didn't mention this earlier. You should think about Hotwire instead, unless your goal is to get two rooms.

No offense, but I think you are nuts if you will try to get your family of 4 into a NYC hotel on a Priceline bid. Priceline only gaurantees 2 people per room and 1 double bed! Out of all the places you could choose to take that chance, NYC in High season is a rough bet. You will end up paying for a second room. I am surprised you didn't mention this earlier. You should think about Hotwire instead, unless your goal is to get two rooms.

Well, this is why I asked the question. I have 2 children. They both have no problem sleeping on the floor. Are the hotel employees going to watch me like hawks to make sure I don't sneak my kids into the room? My experience at hotels all across the country is that no one is watching that closely. Is it different in New York City?

rooms in Manhattan are very tiny, just Google "paramount nyc" or go to youtube with the same search words and you will see what a one bed hotel room looks like. There is barely enough room for luggage let alone two kids on the floor. HOTWIRE allows you to search for 4, so at the minimum, you will get sleeping accomodations that could be two beds or one bed and a pull out sofa bed.

rooms in Manhattan are very tiny, just Google "paramount nyc" or go to youtube with the same search words and you will see what a one bed hotel room looks like. There is barely enough room for luggage let alone two kids on the floor. HOTWIRE allows you to search for 4, so at the minimum, you will get sleeping accomodations that could be two beds or one bed and a pull out sofa bed.

Your dates are just very expensive. Any chance you could push this back to the end of May or June? You can get some good deals then if price is a major concern.

I do suppose you could sneak the kids in. That is your preogotive, but honestly with the limited $$ you want to spend, why not stay just outside the city and take the train in?

• 1 year later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]