Is this allowed?

Randi66
By Randi66,
in

I remember we did this frequently when i was in college (legal or illegal i'm not 100% certain) but i think that most companies in the area let you do so.

There is actually a clause in most 'local' rental contracts that you won't drive a certain distance out of the immediate area, but i believe most will allow you to drive from Detroit to Windsor (but not to Vancouver :) )

Give a few companies in the area and find out their policy (and let us know).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Most companies are fine with it, but I assume you are a US citizen. Canadian citizens cannot drive US cars into Canada.

You might want to also consider insurance. US citizens using their US-based auto insurance in Canada are supposed to carry a Canadian Non-Resident Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card from their US insurance company.

BillJ

Most companies are fine with it, but I assume you are a US citizen. Canadian citizens cannot drive US cars into Canada.

Just wanted to add to this... I know that some rental companies will not let Canadians drive US licensed vehicles into Canada, and I understand that it is because Canadian Customs may cause problems - they don't want Canadians bringing US autos into Canada for resale or something, does anyone know for sure??? It seems silly to worry about this with a rental car. I thought it might be an insurance issue of some kind, but have been told that is not the case.

Anyway, some rental companies will have Canadian-licensed vehicles in border cities in the US and this eliminates the problem. However, we recently rented a US licensed vehicle at Sea-Tac airport in Seattle for a one-way trip back to Victoria after our flight was cancelled and we had no problems. Hertz would not rent to us because the only available cars they had carried US plates, but Budget rented us a US licensed vehicle and there were no issues at the border at all.

But if you are Canadian, the safest bet is to request a Canadian-licensed car.

My brother lives in Vancouver BC. We live in Ontario very near the Canada/US border at Detroit. My brother flies into Detroit whenever he comes to visit us and he has never had a problem renting a car at Metro Airport and bringing it across to Ontario. One time he had to show the rental documents at customs along with the normally required ID and his return plane ticket. No problem at all. I think that this is not unusual in the border areas.

It is a Customs issue. My boyfriend is a Canadian citizen, but works/lives here. (insert complicated immigration stuff here) He spent last summer in Canada (3 months) and we discussed him driving up there for the summer. Once we started learning about all the issues of him driving a US car into Canada, we decided to skip it and just have him fly up and rent a car there.

BillJ

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]