Hotwire Hotel: 2* San Diego (Kearney Mesa-Stadium) Super 8 Motel

catira
By catira,
in

I always have had good luck with both Hotwire and Priceline, but this time was the exception.

Family #1. after unsuccessful bidding of $75 on Priceline for 3* hotels on Hotel Circle for the weekend of 11/30 Family went for the Hotwire 2* Kearney Mesa/ Stadium area at $59 per night.

Amenities: complimentary breakfast, pool, laundry, and internet.

To the shock of everyone they have the Super 8 Motel.

We're extremely dissapointed as we didn't even know Super 8 was one of Hotwire's hotels and the reviews are really bad. :)

Family #2 decides to join them for the weekend.

Once again they go for the Hotwire 2* at $59 per night Kearney Mesa/Stadium area, assuming they will get the same hotel as family #1.

Not so, they get Days Inn.

This is really horrible. Unfortunetly nobody noticed that this time the amenities were: complimentary breakfast, pool, laundry, internet, and kitchenette.

Family #3 hears about trip and wants to go too, but want no part of Super 8 or Days Inn.. They really want a hotel on Hotel Circle so they go to Priceline to try there. They bid on a 3* Mission Valley area. First bid, $60.00. rejected. 24 hours later $65 rejected. then $70 rejected. Then they decide to add an area with only 4* hotels so they can bid again right away. They were sure the 4* hotels would not accept such a low bid and it would give them another chance to bid $5 more for the circle area. (reversing the system we all use when trying to get extra bids) They added in the coastal area.

Well, they have the coastal area and ended up with the Hilton Torry Pines for $75 per night, 20 minutes away from evveryone else.

I have bid the Mission Valley area many times in the past and have never seen the hotels so expensive. :)

Hotwire says their 2* suppliers include Comfort Inn, La Quinta, and Days Inn.

Hotwire says their 1* suppliers include EconoLodge, Super 8, and Best Value Inn.

The family that won Super 8 as a 2* might have a case for a refund since Hotwire specifically cites Super 8 as an example of a 1*. (Although Hotwire doesn't say that EVERY Super 8 will be rated 1*.)

Maybe the family that won the Hilton Torrey Pines could request a room with six beds? :)

Thanks for the suggestion. 6 beds...now that would be a riot. We can even get a hotel room somewhere else for the kids, park the cars there, and use the $17 a day per car savings to pay for it! :) :) :o

I'll look into the 1* Super 8 deal. I didn't even think of looking at that detail. Thank you.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]