Hotwire Hotel: Help identifying 3*, Civic Center South, $55/night 6/26-7/01/2008

rapazfreiburg
By rapazfreiburg,
in

Not an exact match to previous reports since it has the addition of a Hi-Speed Internet icon, but as this property does offer Hi-Speed Internet, and everything else matchs (as does secondary information), this would be our best guess too.

Please use this HOTWIRE link to begin any purchases you make.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I don't know the area well enough to comment, but there are others on the board who are local to this area who will hopefully chime in with their thoughts... but i'll add that you may want to include the purpose of your stay (vacation, business, tourist-y things, etc) so others may be able to advise if the area will be good for your needs.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Great, thanks! I hope some of the locals will be able to advise. It seems that the HI Civic Center itself, as a hotel, is relatively good, just that some people find the location rather bad. And the price is really low.

I've never been to San Francisco, so I wonder whether that area is really so much worse than others with regards to safety.

I will be there for touristy things and I've seen the hotel is very close to a Bart Station and in more or less walking distance to the gay areas in the Castro and on Folsom street.

Given your desire to be near Folsom and Castro the Holiday Inn seems like a reasonable place to stay, and especially at $55. It's a one block walk to Market Street where you can catch BART to Embarcadero or the MUNI down to Castro. Less than $5 cabride to Union Square. The HI is on Eighth Street, which is a quieter and safer block than a couple blocks over on Sixth or Seventh.

Your travel dates are peak summer tourist season and people aren't winning hotels in Downtown SF at $55 for equivalent dates this summer. So the price seems good.

Personally I don't like making noncancellable reservations this far in advance, as travel plans can change. But if that's not an issue for you consider bidding for a 2.5* in Priceline's Civic Center zone. You might win the same Holiday Inn for even less than $55. If not the HI it will be the Whitcombe Hotel, which is next door to the HI, and also a decent budget option.

Thank you for all the information, Colfax!

It seems like the location is not that bad even when going to the touristy areas like Union Square.

I know I could score a 2.5* on Priceline at $52 but would rather spend $55 and be almost sure to get the HI instead of the Whitcombe. It seems to me, after reading some reviews, that the HI in terms of accomodation, is superior to the Whitcombe. Maybe I'm wrong.

I am still hesitant--not because this is so much far in advance but because if I knew I could get any of the 4*s, the Crowne Plaza or the Chancellor in the USE and USW zones at up to $85 on Pricleline, I would go for that.

I am still hesitant--not because this is so much far in advance but because if I knew I could get any of the 4*s, the Crowne Plaza or the Chancellor in the USE and USW zones at up to $85 on Pricleline, I would go for that.

The only way you'll find out if you can win a Union Square 4* or 3* for $85 or less is by bidding!

The Holiday Inn isn't a dangerous area (imo) but it's a little removed from most places tourists like to go and there's not a lot in the immediate area. The HI's chief assets are low price and proximity to public transport.

Since you've never been to SF before I'd recommend trying for at least a few nights in Union Square if that's in your budget. With a five night stay you've got the opportunity to split your visit between Union Square and the Holiday Inn as well.

The only way you'll find out if you can win a Union Square 4* or 3* for $85 or less is by bidding!

I did actually bid but without being accepted. However, this is very far in advance, so I suppose many hotels haven't loaded rates into the Priceline system yet.

I guess I'll just a wait a bit and won't buy accomodation right now.

Thanks again for the information you provided!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]