Priceline Hotel: Questions on European bidding strategies

lwitchel
By lwitchel,
in

I hope I'm placing this in the right forum; it's less a question of what to bid than one of general strategy.

I've got a European trip at the end of April and I'm trying to lay out a strategy for accomodations and where to bid on Priceline and where to try other options. I'm wondering what others think:

Paris: I have a cancellable backup (Ibis Republique, 79 EUR) I'm here on my first day, and the one thing I seem to like most on my first travelling day is a comfortable, business type hotel rather than one with character. Call me a wimp. At the same time, I'd like to get the best deal possible. I'm thinking of bidding on Priceline in La Defense and hoping the Rennaissance comes up at around $70-$80. If not, stick with the Ibis. Does that sound realistic? In a perfect world, I'd want a business hotel in the Marais but at Priceline rates! We can all dream. . .

Antwerp - no Priceline bidding. I found my hotel on www.bookings.nl - mentioned in the "Deals" forum.

Rotterdam - Priceline lists them, but when you try to bid, you get a page of Lowestfare.com deals. I found my hotel on Orbitz.

Amsterdam - I found a rather nice cancellable backup, the 4* Bilderberg Jan Luyken for 90EUR (plus taxes, no breakfast). That's a very good deal, I think, if a splurge for me. How satisfied have people been with Priceline in Amsterdam? I'm thinking I either need to really undercut the price (say around $75-$80 night) or it isn't worth the risks in Amsterdam bidding. Again, is that realistic?

Bruges - Bruges is EXPENSIVE! I think it's worth it to stay there to avoid schlepping my luggage, but do I just want to do it as a day trip from Brussels instead - where the Sheraton is way cheap on Priceline? The Novotel has come up in Bruges for $70, I'll try to do better.

Brussels - Priceline has very good deals here, it seems!

If anyone's been through this, I'd appreciate any information or opinions you'd like to share!

I looked into the Ibis Republique when I was trying to figure out what to do in Paris this summer. I got positive feedback on Fodors from a poster in Paris who actually went and walked by it for me. The area possibly sounded a little grotty, but acceptable and actually now considered a bit "hip." The reviewer reported that this particular Ibis is a renovated circa-1900 building and that the rooms were a little plain but there was good security.

I think the main advantage is that it's a lot more central than a La Defense hotel would be. I know the general belief is that La Defense is a safe area, but I did some research on it and found that it is deserted at night, which I really would not like. In fact, the response I got on one forum about the La Defense area was this: "Almost totally deserted at night, except for troublemaking young males in the RER and M

I really appreciate the feedback.

I've never been to La Defense, but I have stayed at the Meridien Etoile on the Boul. Peripherique - and it's not that expensive (I got it at $100 last year, I think it goes more for $110 now) but you're far enough out that I wondered if I might as well save another $30 and try for La Defense. In a perfect world I'd rather be in the Marais.

For Brugge, I'll keep looking at Accor - it's also what shows up on Priceline.

The Stopera isn't showing availability for my dates, alas. Believe it or not, I think the Jan Luyken is the lowest priced hotel around besides Priceline. It may be worth the splurge. I've heard a lot of people grousing about Amsterdam bidding, almost as much as Paris. I had my best luck so far in London. (Marriott Marble Arch for $75/night, and it was wonderful!)

I'll look at the Deals forum as well. Thanks for all the good information there.

I tried the Ibis site a few days ago and I was experiencing very strange behavior at the site. One hotel I looked up claimed to have no availability for any of the dozen or so dates I tried at random in the next year. I think that's highly unlikely. So if you are interested in the hotel, I'd give them a call just in case it's a web site issue. (Although I think the Ibis Stopera might well be more expensive than your 90 Euro deal anyway.)

Hi kids!

I just wanted to briefly comment on the Ibis option in Paris... Are you familiar with the Ibis chain? Have you ever stayed in one of their hotels? As far as I'm concerned, it is about as far away from a "comfortable, business class" hotel as you can get. PAPER THIN walls, and beds that actually are built on top of plywood (at least the two that I have frequented... at the CDG Airport, and in Nice).

I'd only use them again if I had absolutely no other alternatives... They are comparable to Motel6, I'd say. If you have another option for another $15-20, I'd definitely go for that.

But that's just my opinion... :)

I stayed in one Ibis that was really nice - it was a converted, moored boat. It looked to be very new, there was no noise from adjacent rooms, it had a great view, an excellent breakfast in a nice breakfast room, and it was sparkling clean. But - given this is my only experience, this might not be typical - certainly the boat part isn't :). It did have small rooms.

Another site: http://www.laterooms.com

Thank you for the information!

I kinda realized the Ibis chain was basic motel material, but I can cope with that. Believe it or not, what I can't cope with are "charming" places with "lots of character". That usually translates in my experience to "cramped and dark" (if they really are charming with lots of character and bright and spacious, that's another matter. . .)

It is so helpful to be able to discuss Priceline bidding as part of a larger, mixed strategy. Sometimes it isn't the best answer even if it's the cheapest.

DeltaPurser, your recommendation of HRS.com on another thread is a good one. I see a few alternatives to the Ibis in Paris. The perfect hotel for me is clean, bright and in the 4th or 9th arrondisement. (I love the 4th, but I'm going to the ballet in the 9th). There are a few choices. If I get it low enough, a Renaissance at $70-$80 in La Defense may not beat it for convenience. (Do try hotelres in San Francisco, though. They may have some places HRS doesn't; I'm a believer in more information!)

As for Amsterdam, I'd have to win on a lowball bid to dump the reservation I have.

Well, lwitchell, you're pretty much following in my footsteps by a couple weeks.

If you read the loooong Paris exchange mostly between me and Willtravel, you'll see a lot of european hotel discount options (about 1 by me for every 10 by Willtravel!). I got "close but no cigar" on some of the online services. I would particularly recommend checking hrs every day or two -- their inventory changes dramatically (especially for Paris), and there are often GREAT deals for a couple of days. In other words, you might snag a bargain. The last minute sites also looked promising. I wound up booking an "Easter Offer" at the Paris Hilton for 99 Euros as the "best value" (an offer which, sadly, expires before the end of April, but you should definitely check hilton.com just in case). My personal view is that this assortment of websites will yield a better deal than what folks are getting on priceline, plus you'll have more control over where you wind up staying.

Brussels is a priceline no-brainer. The deals are GREAT!

I saw on another board somebody got a priceline hotel in Brugge, but my own experience is that it's near hopeless and the rates aren't good anyway. Hrs did have a 4-star deal pop up for a few days for under 100 Euros, which offered considerable savings. You might also want to look at the Brugge tourist office's listings (sorry I don't remember the link). I recall many smaller inns and b&bs with prices MUCH cheaper than most of the hotels (probably with more character, too, albeit perhaps a slightly greater risk of winding up at an unsatisfactory place). Rick Steves offers some suggestions in that category, too.

I personally decided to stay an extra night at the "el cheapo" rates on priceline in Brussels and day trip to Brugge. It's very day-tripable, and nice not to have to move hotels, but I think a night in Brugge would be enjoyable, too. I think the decision comes down to whether you can find something you like in Brugge at a price you think is reasonable compared to what you'll pay on priceline for Brussels.

Priceline for Amsterdam looked a little like priceline for Paris, but perhaps a little better. As willtravel noted, the zones there are a little troubling if you want to be very centrally located. The various European hotel websites previous referenced are probably just as cheap (or even cheaper) than Priceline, and you get to pick the property. After surveying the scene, though, I decided to use my Starwood points to stay at the Pulitzer (one of the city's top hotels) and a great deal for 10,000 points/night in that program (rooms there seem at least $250).

Good luck!

Gracias!

iahphx and willtravel - I know Paris reasonably well, if there's anything I can add to the discussion, please ask. The other cities except Amsterdam are new to me (it's a busman's holiday, I'm doing an article on performances in Paris, Rotterdam and The Hague). I've stayed in the Meridien Etoile, but not the Montparnasse. I got the Etoile on a $100 P'line bid. The good point is it's clean, very comfortable and decent, certainly more comfortable than anything I've found at that price. I got a lot of work done in the hotel room, something I couldn't say about the 3* Hotel des Victoires, which was $75/night on P'line and to my mind represented no savings. The bad point for me is that I want to be on the other side of town, or at least closer to the Opera. The Metro and RER are both fast and cheap, though.

I think I will bid on Brugge before Brussels. If I snag Brugge at a good price then great, otherwise I may consider making it a day trip from Brussels. I have a 90 EUR Weekend rate at the Golden Tulip de Medici, which isn't too bad in all honesty, but I'd like to go cheaper there if I can. I saw a succesful bid at the Mercure for $70.

Just a point of clarification on Amsterdam. Upon further reflection, I think Amsterdam is a BETTER town than Paris for Priceline. In the center city zone, it does appear possible to get a good 4-star hotel, like the Renaissance, for around $100. There is, however, some risk. I think there's a Jolly hotel in that zone that is vastly inferior and also rated 4 stars last I heard.

I don't recall the free bid opportunities for Amsterdam, but if you were to start at $75 or $80 and worked your way up to about $105 (if necessary), you might snag a better deal than you have -- but there seems to be at least a 10% chance you'll get hosed.

WillTravel - I know music less well, but ballet is a subject I know a little about.

The URL for the Opera's website is www.opera-de-paris.fr I checked the calendar, they are active until about July 15, and doing Pierre Lacotte's La Sylphide (a romantic story ballet) and Capriccio by Richard Strauss at the Salle Garnier in the 9th and Otello and The Magic Flute at the Bastille.

The Garnier is worth a visit, even if you're not attending a performance for the overblown second empire architecture and the Chagall ceiling. Inexpensive tickets there will have difficult or partial views, but you can probably get full views from 20 EUR. I can find out more if you'd like about the ins and outs of buying tickets and if the cheap seats are all right (I usually have press seats). The Bastille is a modern house that's less atmospheric, but with better sightlines.

The "inside baseball" perspective: I don't prefer the POB's production of La Sylphide to, say, the Royal Danish Ballet's, but I'd sure go. Casting wouldn't go up until about a month before, but if she has not yet retired, I'd try to see Elisabeth Maurin as the Sylph. Another to watch for in that role (they're all good, honestly) would be Delphine Moussin. It is one of the best-trained companies in the world, so I'd take the opportunity to see them, even if it were a mediocre ballet.

Sorry for getting so off-topic. I'd be happy to answer any other questions I can privately if that's more appropriate.

Iahphx - It's the "hosed" part I'm leery of. I don't mind the Jolly Carlton, especially not for $75, but I don't want to get it for $100 when I could have a hotel I chose for about $115. I don't think there is a free rebid in A'dam, but I'll check.

I started bidding last night - lowballed 'em all and lost, so I'll bid again after Monday.

Here's how my strategy is evolving - input is welcome.

Paris - Tried for 4* in La Defense. I regard all zones as a quasi-free bid because historically La Defense is the cheapest zone (and the rest are farther in, and I'd be fine in them). Went up to $70 (I saw someone get the Renaissance at this price in March), no dice. However, I've checked inventory. BOTH the Sofitel and the Renaissance show no availability on their site. I think I need to think about other options. I have the Ibis in Republique, but if I can do better I should. Another Paris last minute bid possibility - www.leshotelsdeparis.com offers 20% off their chain 48 hours before a stay. The Pavillon Porte de Versailles seems like a good bargain at 65 EUR, but it is VERY far from where I need to be and at the end of a metro line (No. 12) not near an RER. Closer to the time I will check laterooms and lastminute.com. The Ibis at 79 EUR comes to $98. Maybe I should consider bidding targetting OQW for the Meridien Etoile? It's not much more.

Antwerp - Got my hotel on bookings.be - the Keyserlei. 3*, 50 EUR. I'm cheap :)

Rotterdam - No Priceline bidding here either, though they list it. If you attempt to bid they will give you the Lowestfares page before you even get to pick zones. Got my hotel on Orbitz. The Top Eurohotel Centrum, 50 EUR. See? I'm cheap!

Amsterdam - I lowballed a 4* at $75, and it was summarily rejected. I'd be very happy with the Renaissance at $95. I'd be somewhat peeved with the Jolly Carlton at $95, especially as I have a 4* backup at a good price - 90 EUR. Both have inventory my nights, and it's discounted (169-199 EUR at the Renaissance, 150-200 at the Carlton.) What to do? Should I just go for $95 on Monday and hope, or slowly head up? I have the time.

Bruges - tried lowballing a 4* at $65 and 3* at $55. Rejected. I have a 4* backup at 90 EUR.

Brussels - I won't bid on this until Bruges is more conclusive. Here's a new monkey wrench - I just got an offer from American Airlines for complimentary gold Starwood membership, and I also just got a Starwood Amex. The Sheraton Four Points in Brussels has a special 77 EUR rate, which would be about $95. I think I'd get 2000 AAdvantage bonus miles (and?) 1000 bonus Starpoints for the stay, but I need to check - it may be either/or. So I need to do the math and see if that is worth the extra $30-$40 (I'd only be there one night anyway).

The problem is that I love strategizing like this so much that I spend hours at it. Other people would reserve the whole damn thing in an hour and be done with it. Well, everyone needs a hobby!

I think it's interesting you didn't get a counteroffer in Paris, based on my experience repeatedly getting counteroffers with every first bid, even starting as low as $60 for a 4*. If you are so inclined, I'd be curious if bidding one zone at a time might result in a counteroffer whereas bidding for all zones at once does not. (And then exit the browser and start a new bid each time.)

Reviews of the Pavillone Porte de Versailles are terrible.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1..._de_France.html

The name is a little different but the address is the same - so I presume it is the same hotel.

Do you see a prepaid Dealseeker Meridien rate for your dates? I have a suspicion but no proof that might lead to a successful Priceline bid.

I had noticed the same thing you did with Rotterdam in respect to several other European cities. I don't think Priceline has inventory there at all. However, I think this is something new that has started since last summer. My suspicion is that previously Priceline allowed you to make futile bids and then provided you with the Lowestfare page - but now it just shows you the LowestFare page without letting you make a bid first. Suspicious cities - Oslo, Stockholm, Gothenburg, Florence for starters.

Thank you WillTravel - I searched on tripadvisor, but put "Pavillon" in, and couldn't find that so I thought it was unreviewed. Well, it sounds like a very bad option.

I bid for a single zone (La Defense) to start. I got the Lowestfares screen. The last time I bid for Paris (OQW in December) I only got the counteroffers screen when I was within "striking" distance at $95, and it was for $112. Added OQE, bid $100, snagged the Meridien.

There is a Deal seeker rate at both Montparnasse (155 EUR) and Etoile (165). My guess is I could get it at $110; $100 hasn't worked for people for a few months - probably the low dollar. If I can save a few bucks over that here, I'd like to, but not if it means being in a hole.

Yes, I saw A'dam has no free rebids at 4 stars. What a drag -- especially for "strategists." :<) It seems the Renaissance has been "hot" of late, so if you bid $95 you'd probably get it -- but is "probably" good enough for you? I'd probably be rash and go for it -- the worst thing that happens is you pay a fair price for the Jolly and don't get a deal.

Anything on hrs.com for your cities and days? I found some competitive stuff, especially for Paris. And if you want to be "super cheap" there, I don't think you can beat some of those ratestogo.com rates within 21 days of your arrival.

Go figure.

A $95 bid for 4* Center City A'dam 4/30-5/2 was rejected with a counter offer of $168.

The Renaissance does show availability, with Internet Saver rates (199 EUR for a double, less for singles) I won't go higher; my backup (the Jan Luyken) is 90 EUR. For two nights at $95, I only save about $20-30 total. It isn't worth the risk to up the bid.

The reason may be that 4/30 is a holiday in Amsterdam, Queen's Day. I'm glad I have a decent backup!

Brugge - tried $70 4*, $60 3*. Rejected. I work up to $80 4* $70 3*.

Paris - the Sofitel in La Defense is now showing availability, the Renaissance still is not. Historically, the Sofitel (a downgraded 5*) has gone for more that the Renaissance. I tried a bid only in that zone for $70. No surprise, it was rejected. I think I will see what happens when I get within the 21 day window (April 5) on ratestogo.com, hrs, etc.

P.S. Willtravel - I got the lowestfares screen again. I wonder if Priceline also takes into account the bidder's customer history when making counteroffers.

Just adding a side comment since we were just in Belgium a few weeks ago.

I would recommend staying in Brussels and taking the train to Bruges, Gent, and Antwerp. We found most everything closed up in all of the cities around 5-6pm, so you can use that early evening to either just eat dinner or take the train back to Brussels then.

This may not work for everyone, but if I was going again, I would do the same thing (with a few minor modifications.)

Feel free to ask if you have particular questions.

BillJ

P.S. Willtravel - I got the lowestfares screen again. I wonder if Priceline also takes into account the bidder's customer history when making counteroffers.

Sorry none of the bids worked out, but as you said you still have time and you have backups.

That could be the case with taking into account the bidder's history. But interesting that you did get a counteroffer for Amsterdam, despite the very wide difference between your bid and the counteroffer. It might just be that there is no inventory for La Defense right now.

It does seem like counteroffers happen more with European bidding, but I can't say for sure if that is so.

Updates -

Paris - lastminute.com had an excellent rate on a basic 3* in the 3eme (the Plat d'Etain for 49 Euros, and it was only at that rate on the night I needed it!) So that's prepaid and done. No more Priceline bidding needed there.

Amsterdam - Bid 4* City Ctr/MQ $77. $95 was rejected 3 days ago, this time I got a counteroffer for $108. Could that have been the Renaissance? I did not take it - my back is about $112/night exclusive of taxes and breakfast. I will bid again and work up. If $108 would have nailed it, halfway between the two is $93. I probably will try in the 80s first. I have the time to rebid.

Bruges - Bid 4* 75, 3* 65. Rejected. I will stay at this level until I get into the 21 day window for ratestogo.com

More dithering as it happens :)

Well, on an $82 AMS bid, this time I got a counter offer of $166. Go figure.

WillTravel, I think your hypothesis about DealSeeker rates may be correct.

Le Meridien Apollo in AMS has a 175 EUR DealSeeker rate. That is $216 US.

I wonder if that was in fact my $108 counteroffer - which is half the DealSeeker rate as you posited. I've seen it reported on an accepted counteroffer of $114.

Perhaps I have a twisted mind, but this saga remains fascinating.

Are you signed up for Le Meridien's special email offers? I am, and I notice that various European cities, including Amsterdam, often have last-minute special weekend rates. These are either available for the coming weekend or the weekend after that. From memory, I think the Le Meridien Apollo might go for a rate of approximately 130 EUR with this rate, when it happens. Do these translate into lower last-minute Priceline rates? I'm not sure, but I think there's a fair chance. Since your dates are for a weekend, I'd continue to bid as you are, and watch out for a special last-minute weekend rate.

The other curious thing is that your lower counteroffer rate disappeared! Now I just checked Le Meridien's page and they don't have a DealSeeker rate for Apollo right now for your dates.

Did this just happen? Might there be a connection to the disappearance of the lower counteroffer? Will this mystery ever be solved :)?

Will this mystery ever be solved :)?

No, it just gets more mysterious! Mine are obviously the only days (4/30-5/2) Priceline doesn't have inventory at the Renaissance. Don't try and disabuse me of this, I'm grooving on this persecution complex. I bid the magic $95 and got a $164 counteroffer. I've got to remind myself I have a fully cancellable room in a 4* hotel with no potential boobyprizes for around $235 total, and a $95 win for the Renaissance would be $212. It's just not that major a savings. (But I'm betting it would be a larger room in a more central location)

Also got dinged on Bruges. ($80 4* $65 3*). The Priceline Gods are looking with disfavor on me. Oh well, we're coming into the ratestogo booking period!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]