Priceline Hotel: 4* San Jose (Sunnyvale-Santa Clara) Hilton

BHL
By BHL,
in

I need a hotel for 2 people for the Santa Clara region on these dates (4 nights). Are there any other 4* hotels in the region? Past winning bids posted here only show the Hyatt, which I'd like to stay in. These bids were $43 & $47 in Dec and $45 and $59 in Jan. What should I bid?

Thank you

Welcome to BetterBidding!

You can't bid on a specific hotel... are you able to accept a hotel anywhere within the shaded region which priceline uses to define this area? If you look at the Priceline Hotel List for this area you'll see that a 4* hotel other than the Hyatt has been reported in this zone. Even if the Hyatt was the only hotel reported thus far, you could be the first to report a new hotel in the zone.

If you still want to bid let us know your maximum bid and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks.

I realize you can't bid on a certain hotel, which is why I asked if there were any other 4*'s in the area. Somehow I missed that other 4* before I posted that (sorry). I could have sworn there was only 1 hotel posted period when I looked a couple weeks ago. Somehow I also only saw winning bids posted at BB in this area for the Hyatt, so I figured I had a good chance of getting it.

The reported winning bids for the Hyatt were are all OK by me, so I just was asking how to get the lowest winning bid, especially since it's now almost July and those bids were in Dec/Jan.

The Hilton hotel is fine too. I haven't searched for winning bids for the Hilton (I can't right now), but if they're similar to the Hyatt, that's fine. If you need me to do this first, I can tonight.

How does what I say my max is affect the bid suggestion?
We won't suggest a strategy that goes higher thank you're willing to bid :)

Have you checked rates directly from the Hyatt website? Looks like they're sold-out for the first nite of your stay, so landing this property is not a high probability bet unless you're willing to SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I guess I don't know why I'd need to split. The Hilton is still showing vacancy, so why wouldn't it just give me the Hilton, or any other 4* priceline uses? As I mentioned before, the Hilton is fine too. I don't have to have the Hyatt.

I didn't suggest you split your bid, i commented that the chances of landing the Hyatt were significantly decreased unless you wanted to split your bid.

Rates are higher than usual for these dates, but if you'd like to give it a try you have three re-bid zones avaialble at the 4* level. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Sunnyvale-Sanata Clara...

Bid $45, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

You can try bidding higher but I think the issue here is that the Hyatt is sold out on July 25. Any bid that includes July 25 will probably be rejected.

Also:

7/26 $219

7/27 $139

7/28 $139

The Hyatt probably has a higher Priceline rate for 7/26 than 7/27 and 7/28. Or it might ONLY have Priceline availability for your last two nights.

If you're willing to split your bid I wouild repeat the strategy thereuare provided, first for 7/26-7/29, then again for 7/27-7/29.

And regarding the Hilton:

1) It hardly ever comes up. The last report of it here was six months ago, for a Friday night stay.

2) Like the Hyatt the Hilton is a business oriented hotel with higher occupancy on weekdays than weekends. Hilton might only give rooms to Priceline on weekends, even if they show availability on the weekdays. Or they might have a higher Priceline rate for weekdays.

If Hilton has a Priceline rate of $45 on Sat/Sun and $90 on Thurs/Fri you'll have to bid $90 for all four nights to win it in one bid. By splitting your bid you can get Sat/Sun for $45. The downside of splitting is that you might win two different hotels and have to move.

So I should bid $90 for Thurs/Fri and $45 for Sat/Sun. Is that what you're saying?
I wouild repeat the strategy thereuare provided, first for 7/26-7/29, then again for 7/27-7/29

Bid $60.

I thik the $45 and $90 figures were for example purposes of why one would consider SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID, and not necessarily actual bidding amounts.

Why not try the above, cycling thru the two sets of dates suggested, and then we'll take it from there.

Dont see an edit button
You can only edit your posts for up to 1 hours after posting (i think it's actually 45-50 minutes). For help with a car rental, please post in the Priceline Car Rental section of the board.

Select the dates 7/25-7/29 and bid:

Bid $60.

If that is rejected repeat the above for 7/26-7/29

If that is rejected repeat the above for 7/25-7/28

If that is rejected repeat the above for 7/27-7/29

If that is rejected repeat the above for 7/25-7/27

Does that make sense?

The 2nd part does. The 1st part doesn't since I've already done that, as we discussed above. Why re-do it?

Because availability changes all the time. A bid might be rejected on Wednesday and then an identical bid accepted on Thursday. It's unlikely you'll be accepted for all four nights in one bid if the Hyatt is still sold out on 7/25, but you have the opportunity to try for four nights again if you'd like, before trying for 3 nights or 2 nights.

I've done all this, as suggested above:

----------

Select the dates 7/25-7/29 and bid:

Bid $60.

If that is rejected repeat the above for 7/26-7/29

If that is rejected repeat the above for 7/25-7/28

If that is rejected repeat the above for 7/27-7/29

----------

Then 7/27-7/29 was accepted for $60.

FYI, I didn't get to:

If that is rejected repeat the above for 7/25-7/27

So I still need 7/25-7/26. Should I start at $45? I won't be able to bid again until tomorrow (Mon) night.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]