Priceline Hotel: 4* Berlin - Bidding strategy

ezed
By ezed,
in

This will be our 1st visit to Berlin and we'll be tourists (1 senior couple and 1 senior , 2 rooms) in the city for 7 nites starting 4 Oct. We are looking for a central location. I think this means "Tiergarten" and "East" zones, but I would like suggestions as to the best PL zone for us. We will have the 7-day train/bus passes.

We do have a backup hotel, the Park Inn on Alaexanderplatz 7 (located in PL East zone), at euro 102/nite (breakfast and tax included).

I have looked at the PL hotel list here and put the few 4* in the list on a Google "mashup" at http://no_screenshots_please.com/2o5l3b . I worry that we might get a "far out" hotel such as Park Plaza Berlin, way east in East zone.

So, I would appreciate any suggestions on location and bidding strategy for a 4* in central location.

Thanks again for such a helpful service.

See my other posts on this forum about the good deals you can get with Accorhotels.com and other web sites, in Berlin particularly. Berlin Priceline zones just aren't that great, in my opinion. You are taking a big risk, with the East zone, in my opinion of getting a way-out hotel, even with bidding for a 4*. The HOTWIRE zones are somewhat better. It's not at all rare to get a very good Berlin hotel for 70 Euros or less, tax-inclusive, so consider whether Priceline is really a good deal in this instance.

Note that for the Park Inn for your dates, Hotel Club has a rate of 92 Euros including breakfast for a double room. (I think there's a BetterBidding link to this also.) The drawback is that it's prepaid, but cancellable up to a certain point for a 15 Euro fee.

For a first-time sightseeing visit, I would consider the area around and between the Melia Berlin and the Westin Grand and the Radisson SAS to be ideal.

Note that the Park Plaza for your dates has a prepaid rate of 58 Euros per night, so I think you are right to be concerned about getting it on a bid.

Thanks for the tips, including that for HotelClub.com . I'm not comfortable with the prepaid part on this booking agent, although I see that it's part of Cendant. But I will keep it in mind . I checked the forums for Hotelclub.com and found a few mixed comments. I wonder what recent experience has been withHotelClub.com. Also, I didn't see any way of using them thru SavingsBarn.

Whenever I have a third-party booking, if I am at all concerned about it, I contact the hotel for confirmation that they've received it - whether it's Priceline, Hotwire, Expedia, HotelClub, or whatever. Once the hotel has agreed that you have a reservation, you are all set, in my opinion.

Most of the problems I have read with HotelClub or any other third-party site relate to the hotel claiming that it never received a reservation. So I think most of the problems are due to the specific hotels being uncooperative or negligent (by not reading and recording their emails or faxes with the bookings).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]