Great Priceline rate - reason to go?

WillTravel
By WillTravel,
in

I'm curious if anyone chooses trip locations based largely on where you can get great Priceline rates.

So far I haven't made any decision based on just that factor, but I've sure been tempted.

For example, when I saw iahphx's $50 Brussels bid for the 4* Sheraton, I had a pang that I hadn't included Brussels in my summer 2004 trip. When San Francisco had better Priceline rates, I thought of taking a trip there again because of that. BTurner's and others' excellent Thailand bids are sure tempting too. And I know that now and then great resort deals come up.

WillTravel! Thanks for the compliment! You bring up a most interesting question.

Yes, Thailand hotels are a steal. I even booked the hotel in Chiang Mai thru PL/HK (Octupus Travel) and got the 3* Lotus Pang for $24/nite! Traveling thru Thailand is so cheap! I was assigned there years ago and going back was a thrill. Gold shopping is a must! You got to go! Most places in SE Asia are a steal right now!

I for one am guilt of booking certain cities because of the inexpensive PL hotel rooms I can get. I have tons of Frequent Flyer miles and go to LA & SF often. Got a trip to LV planned for a family reunion and looking forward to great rooms at great prices! In fact, my entire family is looking to me to make the room reservations on PL! :)

We often take trips because of good PL deals. I always joke that rather than saving $$ priceline costs me because we travel a lot more than we otherwise would. We're here in Vegas too, so a cheap weekend at the Hyatt LLV or JW Marriott is usually easy to get via priceline.

We justified spending $700 on Cubs playoff tickets and $700 on airfare to fly to ORD in part because we paid so little for the hotel...

We should have a betterbidding convention...somewhere with low PL hotel rates. My vote is for HK or Beijing.

My vote ... forget Priceline and hotels .... let's cruise!!! Just got back from 7 nights on the Carnival Victory ... total with taxes $417 pp outside cabin.

Willtravel ... I have to agree about being lured into great PL deals ... especially when bonus money comes around .... BTW ... have not seen any offers lately???

It's been a couple years since I booked a vacation BECAUSE of priceline rates. I usually decide where to go and then consult priceline (although I do sometimes change my itinerary based on where it will be cheaper to stay -- like spending an extra night in Brussels instead of Brugge because priceline makes Brussels the cheaper place to stay).

A couple years ago, when there was still bonus money, I did book an Arizona vacation BECAUSE of priceline. Another board had posters getting $30 Scottsdale resorts for winter. I got the rooms and then organized a family reunion. The rates now aren't THAT attractive!

• 1 month later...

I've got Brussels planned at least partially because the Priceline rates are good. One night at the end of a trip to see the Grand Place and go home the next am. I may stay in Brussels an extra night if Priceline doesn't come through for Bruges.

Places where Priceline looks very tempting for me include Bangkok (which I would not have though of otherwise), and Vienna/Budapest/Prague (which I would have.)

Why don't they do St. Petersburg Russia? :) ? You either spend $300/night for a Sheraton or $40/night for a hole. I'm also getting tempted by Buenos Aires, where rates on luxury hotels seem low enough without Priceline! (Airfare courtesy of American Airlines "Fly Two from NYC" get a free ticket. Now let's see if there's availability. . .) If only the Teatro Colon would put out its 2005 schedule. . .

I'm also coming up on enough miles on United for Aus or NZ. How's Priceline for there?

Disclaimer: I don't always travel this much! I'm helping to write a book, and I figure I can either pay the government tax on the added income, or I can take some legitimately deductible business travel. Given the choice, guess which I picked?

Hmmmmmm... lemme' see... paying taxes or travelling?! NOT a very tough choice, and I'm right behind you!

A great point was brought up... That Priceline actually stimulates travel. I for one have taken tons of trips solely based on good rates at PL hotels. It seems to me like it's a win/win situation: I save money on the hotel. PL makes money on my purchase. The hotel makes money because I would not be there had it not been for the PL rate...

That's why I'm online checking other people's winning bids all the time. If something cool comes up... DeltaPurser's there!

:)

I have added extra nites pre/post cruise on account of low Priceline rates where i otherwise might have just flown home after the cruise.

I have also had needed to be in an area for a one day event and have made a weekend out of it rather than do all the traveling in one day or only stay one nite.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yeah, I think there's no question that the internet is bringing down the price of travel. I know on an upcoming trip to Western Europe, my hotel expenses will decline and the quality of my accomodations will improve DESPITE the current poor exchange rate. I hope priceline continues to expand because it does often offer the best rates, but even if it doesn't, the availability of all this new information on the web (including specials and last minute offers) should make travel more affordable for years to come. It's actually pretty revolutionary! Maybe the biggest change in travel since the 707?

I retract my Vegas idea...

Cruising sounds great with a pre-cruise nite via Priceline/Hotwire.

Squeegee, glad to hear you had a good time on your recent trip.

A betterbidding get-together. Hmmmm.... that woudl eb cool. I coudl prpbably even be coaxed into taking another cruise with an incentive like that :)

Another example of Internet-enabled reductions in travel - the various European low-budget carriers. For my upcoming trip, the rates are: 12 pounds + taxes and fees from London to Paris, 14 Euros + t/f from Paris to Berlin, 7 Euros + t/f from Berlin to London. Much cheaper and faster than any options available 15 years ago, so far as I know.

Add Priceline for hotels, deeply-discounted overseas fares (if you look hard enough), Internet-available price reductions for attractions, and comfortable European travel is much more accessible to many more people.

The only downside is that it's harder to have a spontaneous itinerary, but that's a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]