Priceline Hotel: NYC 9/12-9/16 No luck so far

worldcitizen
By worldcitizen,
in

Hi everyone. Just came across this forum. It's brilliant!

I've been trying to get a room in NYC in the dates above for a couple of weeks and even after reading the tips here today I still haven't had any luck, even after several re-bids, trying all NYC areas except for Soho.

I tried 4* and 3* with bids of up to $150. By looking at the other posts, this seems like a decent bid.

Do you have any suggestions to help increase my chances? I'll consider your opinion.

Thanks!

Thanks.

No, I don't have any backup reservations yet. I will do it by Monday if I don't get lucky.

However, looking at recent posts by BurtonC and loveolive, they have rates under $150 for similar dates (end of August and end of September). Do rates really change that much in a space of two weeks?

If I split the bid am I more likely to be accepted?

...they have rates under $150 for similar dates (end of August and end of September). Do rates really change that much in a space of two weeks?

Besides seasonality factors, rates are date specific.

Taking the 3* win that you reference above (loveolive's win)... rates for his/her date at the hotel won average $275/nite; rates for your dates above at the same hotel average over $500 per nite :)

I would earnestly look today at a back-up plan or reservation (use our BetterChecker to easily search multiple sources for your dates. Once you have an idea of what a hotel will likely cost you without the opaque services, i'd adjust your maximum bid accordingly, and then we can suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the link. It's very helpful. I had no idea rates were that high. I think I need a couple of hours to recover from shock. :)

I'm hoping to be able to stay under the $200 mark. Do you think that's realistic? I just want to go over the odds in a hotel room when I'm probably just going to be there to sleep, so I could even go down to 2 1/2 as long as I'm not going to end up anywhere dangerous.

The only things I would prefer not to change are my dates and Manhattan as a location. I will consider anything else. So do you have any recommendation?

I think under $200 is going to be tough for these dates, but for starters you can try as follows:

At the 3* level in NYC you have one re-bid zone available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* MTE...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* UM/CPS...

Select 3* MTS...

Select 3* MTE and MTW...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW and MTS...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and MTS...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and MTS and MTW...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and MTS and UM/CPS...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW and UM/CPS and MTE...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW and UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW adn UM/CPS and MTS and MTE

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

===================================================================

Select 3* Downtown...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add MTE...

Bid $155, if rejected add MTW...

Bid $160, if rejected add UM/CPS...

Bid $165, if rejected add MTS...

Select 3* UES...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add MTE...

Bid $155, if rejected add MTW...

Bid $160, if rejected add UM/CPS...

Bid $165, if rejected add MTS...

Select 3* Downtown and UES...

Bid $180, if rejected add MTE...

Bid $185, if rejected add MTW...

Bid $190, if rejected add UM/CPS...

Bid $195, if rejected add MTS...

Bid $200.

Any questions on the above feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for putting that together. I will try it out tomorrow when my 24h have elapsed.

If that doesn't work, I'm starting to consider broadening my area to outside Manhattan. Which area do you recommend? Jersey, Brooklyn? If I go outside I prefer not to go below 4* and hope that any hotel there will give me easy access to Manhattan. What would be a good maximum bid in that case? $100-$120?

Also, I know this goes a bit out of the scope of this forum, but what hotel recommendations would you have out of Manhattan as a backup plan?

Oh, one more thing. I got a room in Boston for $110 a night for 3 nights in a hotel with $379 regular rate for my dates. That's less than 30% of the full price. Is that unusual with priceline or each city has its own rules? I was hoping I could get the same saving in NYC.

Don't know if you noticed, but the Embassy Suites link you provided above is for 9/14-9/16... 2006, so has little relevance to your own stay.

Try the above strategy and we'll then cross the bridge (or tunnel :) ) once the above fails. The best alternate location is the waterfront area in Jersey City, but the hotels there are currently sold-out for your dates.

I think you should do as posted yesterday:

I would earnestly look today at a back-up plan or reservation (use our BetterChecker to easily search multiple sources for your dates. Once you have an idea of what a hotel will likely cost you without the opaque services, i'd adjust your maximum bid accordingly, and then we can suggest a strategy for you to follow.

You need to determine your best non-opaque alternative so that you can determine your true maximum bid amount.

SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID is another option... did you want to try running thru the above strategy again for 9/12-9/15, 9/13-9/16, 9/14-9/16, and 9/12-9/14?

Tried that and no joy yet. I haven't exhausted all date combinations yet, but by the looks of things it won't make a big difference.

I still want to stay under $200, but I will be happy to stay outside Manhattan in a less than great hotel. I will do as you said and book something as I'm getting too close to my dates.

In your experience, if I get really close to my dates (like 2 or 3 days), am I more likely to have a bid accepted? Obviously I will have booked another hotel by then, but I'm just wondering if I will be able to get something better last minute.

I will be happy to stay outside Manhattan in a less than great hotel
The best alternate location is the waterfront area in Jersey City, but the hotels there are currently sold-out for your dates

The next best alternative (imo) is the Meadowlands/Secaucus/Rutherford area, where most of the hotels have some sort of access, or a shuttle to access, to mass transit into NYC. You give up the PATH train option to NYC and would need to commute by bus, about 20-25 minutes depending upon traffic. Hotels in this area are currently within your budget... but it is less convenient than Manhattan itself or Jersey City.

Availability thru the opaque providers changes all the time based upon reservations and cancellations that the hotel receives, but with rates extremely high for these dates (and not just 'moderately' expensive) i wouldn't bet the ranch on rates dropping substantially in the next week.

Please use the links in our Support Page for your back-up reservation... although when i looked briefly the other day i didn't see anything that could be used as a viable back-up in the sub-$200 range.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]