THEREUARE"S Local Things to do in NYC....

thereuare
By thereuare,
in

My wife and I have been doing a bit more entertaining of out of town guests lately, and generally speaking our guests have been having a blast! Most nites we have gone to places where i would describe the crowd as "tourists and locals", or as i liked to more accurately describe it, "where the locals take the tourists when they're visiting" (and few tourists end up here on their own).

This got me thinking, so many of us are experts in our hometowns and surrounding areas, so let's share the wealth and add them to the "Priceline and Hotwire Hotel Lists and TIPS".

I think that posts should be reserved for things that are mostly only known by locals. Posting that a NYC visitor should go to the Empire State Building isn't very useful (and not likely done by a local), but talking about a great restaurant/show/venue that the locals do go to and hasn't yet hit the radar screens of the tourist books are extremely appropriate.

So here's a few suggestions of my own and i will add to this thread as i think of and do more fun things in the near future. Feel free to start you own thread (following the same title format above) in the areas you know best.

Cafe Wha? - if you're interested in music and enjoy classic rock, folk, R&B, etc from the 60's thru 80's this is a great place for you. Saturday nite's are best, but the reason to go here is for the Cafe Wha house band (they play Wed-Sun, but confirm with a phone call to them). The venue is set up caberet style with long tables facing a small stage. Seating is tight and reservations are necessary on weekends. I recommend getting there 15-30 minutes before they recommend to ensure a good seat which will improve the experience greatly. Before the end of the nite, there is dancing in the aisles (but it's not a dance club) and the entire crowd will be singing along. Here's their website Cafe Wha? and some citysearch COMMENTS. Your seat location here will determine how good of a time you have, so go to the early show and as mentioned above, show up about 15-30 minutes before showtime.

Rose's Turn - if you like show tunes, the piano bar downstairs at Rose's Turn is the place to be (upstairs are cabaret shows which i know nothing about). This piano bar has an extremely talented waitstaff that rotates singing songs from Broadway shows as well as well-known piano artists (Billy Joel, Elton John, etc). My favorite nites here is Saturday nite with Bill Graves on the piano, but anytime you can see Terry White or Kimlee Hicks perform you should stop by (see website for who's singing/playing on each nite of the week). You want to be in the front part of the room (don't bother going towards the back) but seating is very limited. The show begins at roughly 10pm, but you want to be there by 9:15 if you want a seat, although there is a moderate amount of standing room only. This is a bar frequented by the local gay community, although it is straight-friendly. Never a cover, but a tip jar gets passed around often for the piano player. Here is their website Rose's Turn along with some citysearch COMMENTS

(UNFORTUNATELY Rose's Turn has closed :) )

WALK THE BROOKLYN BRIDGE - take the subway to High Street in Brookly, eat at Grimaldi's Pizza under the bridge (pies only and expect a line) and then get some dessert at the Ice Cream Factory... now walk off your meal. Walk back to Manhattan via the Brooklyn Bridge, gazing at and taking in the skyline as you go. Bring your camera for some fantastic pictures along the way. I did this for the first time a year or two ago and was disappointed i hadn't done it sooner... much better than it sounds!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who are fond of musical history.... Cafe Wha is notable as the place where Jimi Hendrix was playing as Jimmy James and the Blue Flames when he was "discovered" and dragged off to England to become a star.

As long as you're already in the Village.... I love to steer peple towards Caffe Reggio on MacDougal. It draws a few tourists but is such an authentic feeling place with such great atmppshere that it's always worth a trip. Great panini sandwiches, good desserts and coffee. The espresso and capuccino is so-so but they do have the very first commercial espresso machine that was ever installed in the US. It's no longer in use but is on display and is quite the lovely piece for fans of industrial design and the like.

• 4 weeks later...

After a fun Sunday afternoon i'm adding to the list:

Caliente Cab Company - a great all-day Happy Hour from noon-9pm (until 8pm on weekends). Small 6oz margaritas for $4 ($4.50 for fruit), but large 23oz margaritas for $8.50 which includes a very nice souvenier glass. Last two times i have been there it has not been crowded, football on all the tvs, and decent free chips and salsa at the bar.

glasses.jpg

Also, on Saturday and Sunday there is a brunch from noon-3pm with mexican and traditional selections (most are $9 or $10) and come with unlimited margaritas, mimosas, and screwdrivers. I can't comment on the food but the just the liquid aspect of the meal makes it seem like a great deal.

***This is at the Waverly St. location (at Greene St, 1 Block from Washington Square Park) and not at the 7th Avenue South location which has different specials***

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 months later...

I might add that a ride on the Staten Island Ferry is a delightful thing to do.

It's FREE

The trip departs from The Battery (the southern tip of Manhattan). It takes 25 minutes to get to Staten Island. On the way you pass the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

After you arrive, walk off the ferry and take the next ferry back to Manhattan. The city offers dramatic views as you return from SI.

Brooklyn on the right. Jersey on the left. Financial district straight ahead.

The Brooklyn Bridge in front off to the right.

You can't beat the price! And you'll see 'the city' in a way that many don't.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

The ferry is another excellent idea! (thanks for adding it!)

Once in Staten Island if you don't want to roundtrip it right away i recommend Denino's for the best pizza NYC has to offer (yes, better than Manhattan and i do travel there from NJ for some excellent pie... and when i say 'pie' i don't mean apple or cherry). A bit of a hassle to get there (15 minutes on the bus or ~$10 by cab) but the pizza is amazing (both their 'traditional' and their 'white' which is unlike other white pies i've had). Afterwards, from spring to early fall, grab dessert across the street at Ralph's Ices. They have both traditional italian ice and 'creamed ice' which i prefer... not really ice cream and not really italian ice, but a combination of the two!

If you want to make a day of it :) you could also see the Staten Island Yankess play (minor league team of the NY Yankees). I did this last year and it was unexpectedly a great time... small and intimate stadium (and great seats are only about $10).

Staten Island Yankess

Denino's Pizzeria Tavern

524 Port Richmond Ave

Staten Island, NY 10302-1721

Cross Street: Hooker Place

Phone: (718) 442-9401

CitySearch Comments

Ralph's Ices

501 Port Richmond Ave

Staten Island, NY 10302-1720

Phone: (718) 273-3675

PS- this is the 'local' stuff you won't find in tourist books

• 1 month later...

I've been daytripping to NYC for many years. For a long time I was stuck overpaying for meals at ripoff places because that's all I knew about. But the internet has really changed all that. Here are a few places visitors who bid on travel might enjoy because they are near many of their frequented hotels.

Across from the Hilton NY Towers in the CBS Building:

China Grill

60 W. 53rd Street

This classy but casual place is popular with visitors and natives alike so reservations are recommended. Interesting and delicious Chinese-fusion food like plum and sesame spiced spareribs, szechuan beef marinated in sake, tall salads and lobster mashed potatoes. Desserts are creative and include bananas in a box and a replica of a chinese dinner - in chocolate. Large portions are meant for sharing. Not inexpensive, but definitely good food. (P.S. This is my mom's favorite NYC restaurant.)

Rockefeller Plaza:

There is an affordable food court in the basement (take the escalators down) of the NBC building. A lot of people don't know it's there. It's a great refuge in bad weather. Also in the Rock is a branch of La Maison du Chocolat. If you want to sample some of the most elite chocolate available in the U.S.A. here is your chance. It's expensive but very special.

Times Square:

Trattoria Trecolori

133 W. 45th Street

I may as well admit it... after the first hundred visits, I no longer care for Times Square. I view it as a necessary evil to get to the TKTS Booth to score half price tickets for Broadway Shows. So it was great to be guided by chow minded NY'ers to a good, non-touristy, reasonably priced italian restaurant in the midst of the tempest. Trecolori has solid, dependable food, outstanding service and is easy on your pocketbook. NY'ers like it too so best to make a reservation.

Becco

355 W.46th Street

If you watch public tv you might have come across Lidia Bastianich's cooking show. Becco is one of her restaurants, located on restaurant row in the heart of the theater district. For the budget conscious, they have a good and affordable all-you-can eat 3 variety pasta special. In addition, all bottles of wine on their extensive list only cost $20. The remaining menu is not bargain priced and includes good italian food, especially an oustanding veal chop. Pass on the veal parmigiana though, this is not the place for it. When Becco gets crowded the front room is extremely noisy, when making a reservation, I would ask for a table in the back room.

Grand Hyatt area:

Grand Central Station - Food Court

Lot of various food choices here, many well prepared. At certain times of the year some interesting product/gift vendors as well. More than once I've done a good deal of Christmas shopping here.

Le Parker Meridien:

Burger joint (name uncertain) in Le Parker Meridien Hotel:

If you're lucky enough to stay here you'll find a hidden jewel lunch spot (follow your nose). Mostly frequented by locals and those in the know, this place has decent greasy burgers at bargain prices.

• 1 month later...

If you're going to NYC, you have to at least consider eating at a Deli...

For breakfast, consider a platter of bagel & lox and/or sturgeon...

For lunch consider a Pastrami sandwich and a potato knish with pickles and Dr. Brown's Black Cherry (or for the die-hards, Cel-Ray) soda.

• 3 weeks later...

The best deal on a meal I think I've ever had in NYC is the early bird special at the Dallas BBQ chain of restaurants. For $8.95 (website's $7.95 price is outdated) you get 2 meals:

• 2 chicken vegetable soups
  • 2 rotisseried half chickens
  • cornbread
  • choice of baked or french fried Idaho potatoes

Monday thru Friday: Noon to 6:30 p.m. Sat. & Sunday: Noon to 5 p.m. Must be seated by this time, dining room only.

The portions are HUGE! Even the veggie soup contains plenty of good sized chunks of boneless chicken breast. They also feature Pina Coladas and Margeritas that most people seem to like, but a 20 oz. Sam Adams for $4.50 is especially appealing on a hot summer's afternoon. They've got 6 locations in and around Manhattan, a few of them with outdoor terraces. It may not be gourmet fare, but I really don't think there's a better bang for the buck in all of NYC. Even better is the fact that they participate in the Dining For Miles (formerly I-Dine) programme.

We followed this advice and had a wonderful time.

Took the Statten Island Ferry at dusk for the 'magical experience' of seeing the city light up.

Ess-a-bagel for Breakfast (so good we used it twice).

Saw Wonderful Town via booking through broadwaybox.com

Walked the bridge and ate pizza at Grimaldi's ... well worth the walk!

Took the subway out to Katz Deli and ate Pastrami on Rye.

And you are right - the Subway was our friend.

I would add that you have to see Times Square by night ... probably my most enduring memory.

Without the advice we'd have had a typical tourist's view of the city. By taking it we felt we got a bit closer to the heart of New York and closer to it's people. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I hope it's not touristy...BUT...the absolute BEST steak I have EVER had was at Bobby Van's! And I am from Texas where we have some good steaks.

There are a couple in Manhatten and we ate at the one off of Park and 50-something (57th maybe) in MTE.

Prices were pretty good, and the portions are HUGE!! The filet was probably 16 to 18 ounces and you could cut it with a fork. All side dishes can be split between at least 3 people. Creamed spinich was heavenly. Caesar salad, perfect. I salivate just thinking about it!

We plan on eating there again at least twice when we return this year for New Years through the 4th of January!!!

Bobby Van's....yummy!

I second Bobby Van's. They do a great seafood platter starter too. A bit expensive but worth it if you want a night to remember. The service was excellent too. We had a large group with kids and thy treated us all very well.

For a short trip I would recommend going up to West Point and taking in the view across the Hudson. We have done this a few times and it is amazing especially in the fall. I think you can still get in to look around but there is a lot of security now there. They hold outdoor events there in the summer too, I believe. You could combine this with a stop at Woodbury Commons to do some outlet shopping.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]