Opinions and Advice for Road Trip this Summer

norwegianwife
By norwegianwife,
in

Hello everyone! well, we leave for our road trip in a few weeks and are really excited! We have several hotels lined up already, but I have a question.

We don't have anything for the Hamburg-Frankfurt leg. We plan on 'mosey-ing' through the Mosel and Rhine Valley's and don't really want a set plan. Do you think it would be wise to 'wing it' in mid July as far as accomodation goes? We just want to decide where to end for the day, versus having a hotel in a certain city decide??? So, if anyone has been, and can reccomend a bed and breakfast or quaint hotel let us know!

The same thought goes for Zurich to Milan. We don't have to stay in Milan, and would almost prefer not to, to avoid the 20 to 30 Euro parking fees...thinking of driving through towards Venice and finding something. ORRRR finding something on the one of the lakes on the way down. Again, any thoughts are welcome...

Lastly, from Reggio Emilia to Austria (Tyrol) area. No fixed reservations, but have emailed a hotel 2 times with no response...starting to bug me.

Ok...any thoughts are welcome!!

Hi NorwegianWife,

I think you need to factor in the "World Cup" factor here!

The final is July 9th and then there will be a small army of coaches, backroom boys, media types and officials hanging on for a few more days wrapping things up. So any travel in Germany before July 15th without a confirmed reservation is going to be a no no!

Then the rest of Europe will go on vacation! The travel industry in UK is already reporting zero availability for European destinations for the period mid July to end August, as everyone tries to cram their holidays in after delaying them to stay at home to watch the games!

If you don't want to end up taking Hobson's choice everywhere get those reservations made.

Have a great trip, :) Pirate

Wow, for some reason I thought the World Cup ended the week before! We actually have all of our German stops secure (Hamburg, Munich and Berlin) with the exception of Frankfurt! I guess I will try a few bids for Frankfurt on the 12th of July. Hopefully there is some availibility. We actually have a great little hotel booked in Tyrol now at the base of the Alps, the pictures look gorgeous.

thanks for your advice, Pirate...I will hop on it and try to get those last 2 nights (frankfurt and milan) secured.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]