Priceline Hotel: Bidding help request for Paris

nemesis
By nemesis,
in

Hey y'all. Great site!

I've read on and off and think I know have a clue about how to go about this, but still a little unsure.

I'm looking at Paris hotel for Sept 20-21, 2006 in the Paris Opera Quarter East - Les Halles district.

Basically, the place I am going to is right between the 2nd and 9th arrondissement, and I'd like to stay somewhere within walking distance. The actual metro stop of the place I'll be going to is Bonne Nouvelle, so the area is perfect.

At the prices I've seen on the forums, I'd probably be looking at a 4 star.

I have plenty of time yet, so no issue there.

What should my first priceline bid be? I was thinking of about $95? Waiting 24 hours for a next bid won't be an issue. I'd really prefer to stay in that particular area,

Pointers would be appreciated, thanks :)

:)

Doh. Didn't look well enough.

I saw people had gotten the Novotel before, and it's up in the list.... so the rating must have changed or something. I don't mind trying for the 4 star superior or the Paris (Champs Elysees - Opera Quarter West). Just a little wary about getting stuck in the 17th arrondissement (Meridien) as it's quite far out from where I need to be.

The Westin/Intercontinental, however, would be awesome. I think the 4 star plus hotels in the Champs Elysees - Opera Quarter West would probably be alright (going by the list... I know thats not a 100% guarantee).

It won't be a HUGE disaster if I don't manage to get a hotel as near to the place as I'd like... would just prefer it :)

Max bid is probably $150 for the 4+ superior (which is equiv to a 5 star, if I understand correctly) or about $110 for a 4 star, though I'd prefer as low as possible, of course.

Just for clearing things up...

I put in a bid and they accept it or not.

If they do, they show me a hotel, but no name, just the amenities.

Based on the amenities I may be able to figure out which hotel it actually is, and based on my hunch, I can accept their offer or not. Or is it basically, if they accept your bid, you get a hotel.

What Im asking, I guess, is if there's any chance of actually identifying the hotel theyre offering somewhere along in the process?

Thanks for the swift reply by the way...

thanks again... first time for me, but it seems like a bit of fun :o

Just for clearing things up...

I put in a bid and they accept it or not.

If they do, they show me a hotel, but no name, just the amenities.

Based on the amenities I may be able to figure out which hotel it actually is, and based on my hunch, I can accept their offer or not. Or is it basically, if they accept your bid, you get a hotel.

Your confusing/combining two different services.

Priceline: you bid, if they find a hotel that meets your parameters you OWN it... no chance of backing out

Hotwire: you search for your paramters and they tell you the price, star rating, and amenities... you can then choose from their offerings or not take any of them. Once you agree to purchase is when the hotel name will be shown to you and at that point you OWN it.

See this thread for further details about how each works: I'VE NEVER USED PRICELINE or HOTWIRE

Priceline is usually a little bit cheaper than Hotwire, while Hotwire gives you a little more ability to target certain properties (still no guarantees though).

Let us know if you have a preference of one over the other and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Gotchya... I was suspecting I was mixing the two up, but your other post was very clear, thanks :)

So, I think in light of all this, first off (given I have time) I'd like to try to get a reasonable price for the 4 star superior in Paris (Opera Quarter East - Les Halles)

Then maybe add 4-Star Plus Superior Plus in Champs Elysees - Opera Quarter West

And if all that fails say for under $100 (is that reasonable?) for the first and a little bit more for the second try to raise for the 4 star superior in Paris (Opera Quarter East - Les Halles) and if that fails to, drop bid and drop to in Paris (Opera Quarter East - Les Halles) (I'd rather drop class in the first location than risk the chance of being way out, and yes, I understand there's a risk of getting a 4 star plus superior more out than I expect, or different from the list, but I'm expecting most of those class hotels will be nearer downtown anyway)

Is that a reasonable strategy? Is it possible to drop the bid when you lower the star rating in an area?

All in all people seem to be getting good deals all over, compared to the rack rates and even the internet rates, so really, I'm ready to take my chances. It's not like Paris is very hard to travel around :)

To make sure i have this right, this is what you're considering (ignore the bid amounts, they're just for example of showing price increase/decrease):

4* Opera Quarter East: $80

4* Plus Opera Quarter West: $90

4* Opera Quarter East: $90

3* Opera Quarter East: $70

Do i have the progression right? (your 1st and 3rd bid are the same, except for the bid amount?)

If your fail for 4* East and 4*Plus West... at what point do you want to lower your quality level for a 3*? (now... or closer to your arrival)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yep, that's it. though I may try the counterbids on step 2 and 3 a few more time before dropping to 3* (if that's possible even)

Haven't really decided on fixed amounts yet... It's a trial and error thing really.

I'm not in any urgent need to get a hotel sorted right now, so dropping to 3 can wait until later.

What would be a decent first bid in step 1?

Thanks again

4* = 4* Superior

4*+ = 4* Superior Plus

When bidding 4*+ you have six re-bid zones, at the 4* level you have one. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

This is how i would proceed, using the $110 maximum bid for a 4* and $150 maximum bid for a 4*+ that you mentioned above:

Select 4* OQE...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected close broweser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4*+ OQW...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120.

If the above is rejected repeat in 24 hours:

Select 4* OQE...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected close broweser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4*+ OQW...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150.

If the above is rejected yet again, repeat in 24 hours, increasing ech OQE bid by $5 (bringing you to your maximum bid of $110) and repeat the OQW strategy above.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and keep us updated as to how it goes.

I'm looking at Paris hotel for Sept 20-21, 2006 in the Paris Opera Quarter East - Les Halles district.

Basically, the place I am going to is right between the 2nd and 9th arrondissement, and I'd like to stay somewhere within walking distance. The actual metro stop of the place I'll be going to is Bonne Nouvelle, so the area is perfect.

At the prices I've seen on the forums, I'd probably be looking at a 4 star.

I have plenty of time yet, so no issue there.

What should my first priceline bid be? I was thinking of about $95?

I have had good results with Priceline in Paris. Always got 4-star hotels for $100 more or less plus fees.

Last time I got two Le Meridian hotels, and was upgraded due to my Starwood Gold.

Warning: I never bit for Opera Quarter East - Les Halles district. You probably get Novotel les Halles. The hotel looks fine, but the rooms are lousy, like a 2-star motel in the US. I e-mailed Priceline a complaint ... and got all my money back. I don't like the Novotel Tour Eiffel either .. it might be OK now, was under renovation.

Is that a reasonable strategy? Is it possible to drop the bid when you lower the star rating in an area?

All in all people seem to be getting good deals all over, compared to the rack rates and even the internet rates, so really, I'm ready to take my chances. It's not like Paris is very hard to travel around

Yes, you can drop the rate ...

I would rather stay in a 4-star hotel and go by bus or Metro than stay in a lousy 3-star hotel in a lousy area (given by Priceline).

I have stayed in very fine 3-star hotels, like Lennox St. Germain. You don't get such hotels with Priceline and they are Euro 120 ++

Does your ....It's not like Paris is very hard to travel around... mean, it's easy to travel around? Yes, it is ...! with Metro and/or bus .. not with a car.

BTW, area 2/9 are not always "the best of Paris" .... nearby was "the home of Irma la Duce" .... :)

My general opinion, which I've often repeated - avoid the Eiffel Tower - Grenelle - Montparnasse zone with Priceline, because of the possibility of getting a hotel actually outside Paris, and quite inconvenient (like the Sofitel Porte de Sevres). All the other zones I could live with.

Otherwise, if I were going to Paris again, I would choose a Priceline 4* hotel if visiting at a time when air conditioning is likely needed (the summer months). If no A/C is needed, I would try to find a pleasant, well-located bargain hotel somewhere or other. For Sept. 20, A/C is probably not needed, but there could be a heat wave.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]