Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC 6/12-6/15

kingeb6201
By kingeb6201,
in

Can anyone help with a strategy to get a 4* for June 12-15? It's a girls' trip and our 1st time to NYC. I have heard that MTE/MTW is the best area to stay in to do the tourist thing. The strategy I tried last night is below and was rejected:

1. 4* MTE/MTW $110

2. added Upper West Side at $115

3. added Upper East and bid $120

All were rejected, so I don't know if I'm trying to bid too far out or going too low. Can anyone advise me??? We would really like to stay in Uptown.

Based upon current rates i'm doubtful $150 will be enough for these dates. To give it a try anyway you have two re-bid zones.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bdi zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and re-accesss priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and re-accesss priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bdi zone...

Bid $150.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I tried the strategy above and had no luck. After seeing the winning bid in another post for a 3* at $95 a night, I am beginning to consider a 3* bid. How are the 3* hotels in NYC? The Sheraton Manhattan looks okay, but I know I can't trust just one hotel. What are the going rates for 3* at this time? Can anyone suggest a strategy?

Just like you can't expect that one hotel, you also can't expect similar prices for dates that are different than your own.

Using the Sheraton Manhattan as an example, post the rates at this hotel for your own dates and then also post the rates for the dates that the other user won (which was 7/5-7/7).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Can you give me a 3* strategy? The 3* hotels are still nice, right???? I am willing to go to $160 at this point. Is this a reasonable rate for a 3* hotel during these dates? Also, I have seen some talk about UM/CPS area. Is this still a good area? We are wanting Midtown area to do the tourist thing. Thanks SO much for your help!!!

I think I am one of the only one who strongly advocates 3* hotels in NYC. I always start with 4*, but because price is more important than the star rating, and past successes I have with 3*, I have no problem adding that to try to get a hotel for a cheaper rate.

I have stayed at the Hilton (near Rockefeller Center) that is a 4* in MTW (I think), and the Doubletree Metropolitan, which was a terrific and large room 3* in MTE, and the Shoreham in MTE 3* which was not a big room at all, but did have a big bathroom and was just fine. The 3* to me were completely comparable with the 4*.

I don't think that the 3* properties are 'bad', it's just that there is often very little price difference between the 3* and 4* properties that the 4* properties represent better value. As well, the 3* properties on average are a bit smaller than their 4* counterparts.

This is the new bidding strategy based upon your additional zone and increased bidding limit:

Select 4* MTE...

Select 4* MTW...

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $150.

Select 4* MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $150.

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $157, if rejected add re-bdi zone...

Bid $160.

=================================================================

If the above is rejected you have one re-bid zone at the 3* level.

Select 3* UM/CPS...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE...

Select 3* UM/CPS and MTW...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* UM/CPS and MTE...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* UM/CPS and MTE and MTW...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160.

I agree that there is not much of a price difference, but 2 different times I have had luck getting a 3* property for at least $20 less than my highest bid for 4* (when I stopped because I was going overbudget). So, if I was booking and paying full price (who would do that :) ), then I'd probably go with the 4* if the price was about the same, but it does seem to open up some availability on PL to go down that star level.

Can you tell me the hotel you have advised others to go to in NYC? I think it starts with a B. I am getting a little panicked and I am going to retry the 3*s tonight. Is that hotel that you mentioned nice? Also, when I go to add a re-bid zone in the 3* bidding, which areas should I add to make sure that I get the midtown area? I was adding the Upper East and Upper West when I was bidding for 4*s b/c I knew there weren't any 4*s in the Upper East/West.

When Priceline fails we often recommend Beekman Tower but it's listed as 'on request' for your dates so i don't think you'll be able to use that as a back-up.

You can see which zone only has hotels rated less than 3* by reading Priceline Re-Bidding Explained. Specifically:

The way to check what star levels are available in each zone is to open a Priceline page, check ONLY the zone you are inquiring about, and then proceed to the next page (as if you were going to select a zone)... this will give you the available star ratings in that area. You can then hit BACK on your browser, uncheck the current box, check the next box, and repeat the process. It is important to do this before EACH attempt at adding a zone that you really don't want, as new hotels can be added and the star ratings can change at any time.

Feel free to confirm your re-bid zone with the board before bidding or ask for additional help if you don't understand the above.

I booked the Ramada Plaza New Yorker as a back-up at a rate of $189/night. I am actually getting the room for closer to $170 b/c 2 of us going are teachers and we get a teacher discount. The reviews are mixed, but I figured that I would rather have mixed reviews on a chain that I know than a place I've never heard of. Is this a good rate?

For future reference, what time of the year can I get the best deals on?

January!!

The reviews are mixed, but I figured that I would rather have mixed reviews on a chain that I know than a place I've never heard of.

I don't agree with this logic, every hotel chain has a couple of stinkers, and Ramada is not immune from this. With the reviews and posted wins on this board as well as those on Tripadvisor, you can get a "feel" for just about any property that you've not heard of. BTW, you do realize that if you are successful with a Priceline bid, you are only guaranteed a room to accomodate two guests. In NYC, this could be a small room with one double bed.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]