Priceline Hotel: Trying for Amsterdam 4*, rejected up to $141

Savi424
By Savi424,
in

I have been bidding on a 4* City Centre Amsterdam for May 9-12, 2006. I have been bidding for weeks now and been rejected up to $141. Hotwire has a 5* for $385 and a 4* for $405 for those dates in the city centre. The Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel has rates of $404 right now, although they have been fluctuating. This is the hotel I won for $105 for one night, May 14th.

Any ideas or advice? I don't wish to split my dates since I am already moving twice in the week. I will pay the higher rates if I have no other options to stay in the city in a 4* or better. Do you think Priceline has any inventory and how high do you think I will need to bid?

Thank you.

Someone posted a while back an informed observation that winning Priceline bids at the Amsterdam Marriott or Renaissance seemed to be about 50% of the lowest "list" prices on the hotel sites.

If that's the case, which it might not be, you'll have to bid much higher to have any hope. But I think you can see for yourself that if the Renaissance hotel site has $404 listed, the hotel has little incentive to offer cheap Priceline rooms. Have you looked at other sites to see what sort of acceptable hotel you could book at what price?

Just for your information: There's a trade exhibition in Amsterdam May 9 - 12: http://www.amsterdam.issainterclean.com/interclean2006/e

Splitting bids probably wouldn't have made any sense anyway in this case.

The Crowne Plaza Hotel (http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hd/amsnl) has a special rate of €238 incl VAT excl tourist city tax (5%) on their website. That is still cheaper than both the Marriott and the Renaissance. If you book this, don't forget to book it through the link here on the board.

WillTravel - Thanks for the response. I have also heard the 50% rule, however I have never seen this hotel (or any other in the area) won at the $200 mark. So I am wondering if they just don't release inventory to Priceline when their rates get that high. I have been checking many direct hotel websites, as well as Expedia, etc. I am thinking of booking a cancelable rate at the Crowne Plaza. Then I can keep trying for a bargain on Priceline until I leave. Maybe I will bid up to $200 and see what happens.

rapazfreiburg- I appreciate your response. I went to the website for the Crowne Plaza(through the link) and I am booking the more expensive but cancelable rate. Have you ever stayed here? Seems like the location can't be beat.

I have never stayed at the Crowne Plaza but know its location because during my last stay at the Renaissance, I used to walk past it many times. It's in a great location about three minutes (walking) from the Renaissance. Arriving by train or plane, you can walk there from the main train station or take the tram (one stop).

I think the hotel also has a pool which both the Marriott and the Renaissance don't.

I found Amsterdam the toughest city to bid on with Priceline. I bid up to $155 USD in April and got nothing and went as low as three stars. I ended up settling for an IBIS hotel in Amsterdam. I believe their are two hotels in downtown Amsterdam and both are at reasonable locations. Plus rooms are refundable. Rooms were clean and functional. Ibis are not 4* but I don't know how much time you plan to spend in your hotel room.

Spring is the busiest time of year in Amsterdam with the tulip season in full bloom and the noted business convention isn't going to help matters. Good luck.

The strange thing is that I won the Renaissance for May 14th for $105; but the 9th-12th are much harder to get. I am willing to pay up to $400 for a 4* if I have to, I just want to get the best possible deal I can. Looks like the Crowne Plaza may be the best deal for my dates.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]