Priceline UK vs Priceline US

norwegianwife
By norwegianwife,
in

We have alot of hotels to book for this summer for a drive through Europe. Does anyone know if you get better rates for Europe through the UK site or the US site? I know that, in the past, the UK prices, especially for cities like NY and SanFran, were higher than the US site, so I am inclined to think the US has the best rates, but I just don't know!!

Also, is there a savingsbarn link for UK?

If anyone has any info, we would appreciate hearing it!

Thanks everyone!!!

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd suggest the UK and the US systems have exactly the SAME prices.

They seem to work off the same interface. Out of curiosity, I recently bid for a hotel in York, England on the US system, and then tried to "rebid" it on the UK system within 24 hours. I got the typical "you can't rebid" message in response.

Since your credit card company will charge you a fee for converting pounds back to dollars (a few credit card companies only charge 1%, but most charge 2 to 4%), I don't see the value of using the overseas affiliates to bid for the same hotels.

I agree with Lonestar's suggestion. They both use the same database. I would think that if you are not based in the UK you will also have a charge for conversion from GB pounds into your own currency which would probably work out similar to $ exchange charges. I think that the rate is set in the local currency and then coverted into either pounds or US Dollars but I may be wrong. When you use the UK site it sometimes changes the currency if you are looking at US cities so beware in case it changes to Euros.

There is currently no link to Savingsbarn for UK PL and I have suggested this to Thereuare and perhaps this will be available in the future. You can use the paypal link to support the board or just make a point of using the travel links even when you are booking conventionally to give the Board credits.

Speaking of all this, is there any plan to "separate" the various countries (or at least regions) for overseas bids (like the way states are separated)? The current all-in-one format is cumbersome.

And if you feel like separating things, I'd make Arizona its own separate listing, too. :)

For Norwegianwife, I'd offer the following tips. For Budapest, do not bid. Get an Entertainment Card, and stay at the Gellert Hotel if they will give you the 50% off rate. Most interesting hotel in town, great location, and fun "spa."

For Prague, try to get the Movenpick hotel that I won through priceline last year.

Consider the cheap Renaissance hotel in the "west" zone in Vienna, too.

German bidding should also net good deals. Have fun!

Regarding the hotels Lonestar suggested...I checked the online rates and the cheapest rate for the Movenpick was 130 euros a night, the Renaissance in Vienna, 182 USD a night, and for the Gellert, 130 Euros a night. I think I will have much better luck with lower rates by going through Priceline on any of these properties. I don't think I will buy an Entertainment Book, as I live in Norway, and it would really be of no use for me. Even at half off, judging from rates in the 'Other Countries' section for hotels in these cities last summer, the Priceline price would be lower.

I do agree with Lonestar about dividing up the 'Other Countries' section. I am not sure how big of a job it is for Thereuare though! If not Country by Country, region by region would be nice. something like:

Asia

Australia

Central Europe

Western Europe

Eastern Europe

Scandinavia (although you can't use the 'name your own price in Norway, which I find very annoying!)

Other

I DON'T KNOW!!!! But I do agree that it is a bit cumbersome to navigate as it is growing so much!

Regarding the hotels Lonestar suggested...I checked the online rates and the cheapest rate for the Movenpick was 130 euros a night, the Renaissance in Vienna, 182 USD a night, and for the Gellert, 130 Euros a night. I think I will have much better luck with lower rates by going through Priceline on any of these properties. I don't think I will buy an Entertainment Book, as I live in Norway, and it would really be of no use for me. Even at half off, judging from rates in the 'Other Countries' section for hotels in these cities last summer, the Priceline price would be lower.

Ah, so you really are a Norwegian wife. :)

The Gellert at half price (with Entertainment, it should be less than 130 Euros -- I stayed with my family there last summer in a grand 2 bedroom apartment for less than that using the Entertainment discount) is slightly more expensive than SOME priceline bids, but well worth it in my opinion. It is, hands down, THE place to stay in Budapest -- character, history, views, location and the famous "baths." I think I've stayed there 4 times now and I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else in town! FWIW, I don't think you'd actually need to produce the "card" to get the Entertainment rate. And, also, FYI, at least a couple of years ago, Entertainment sold a Scandanavian discount book.

The Movenpick and Renaissance hotels are priceline properties, and you can see the cheap rates paid last summer by reviewing the posts here.

Yes, Yes, Lonestar, I truly am a Norwegian wife, by way of the LONESTAR state. Born and raised in Texas and while growing up in the hill country our neighbors had a pet deer named LONESTAR as well. But, I married a Norwegian man and picked up and moved over. Afterall, Norway is the TEXAS of Europe!!!!

Interesting about the Gellert hotel. How could I get a discount without the coupon? Just call and ask?

We are looking forward to our little trip this summer. That is one HUGE advantage of living in Europe. Just pack up the car and head out on a road trip through Europe, plus the standard of 5 weeks of paid vacation is a nice bonus as well!!!

hee hee!!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, there are lots of good things about living in America, but as far as "vacation days" goes for most folks, well, let's just say we as a nation value money over free time.

To get the "Entertainment Card" rate at the Gellert, just ask for it at the following email address: [email protected].

If you don't get a response, call or fax them. My recollection last year was that their email system was a little dodgy.

Hello.

I have been trying to score hotels in Paris, Budapest, and Prague using regular old US priceline.com. I see in some threads that others have had success on the UK site bidding in pounds when not getting a winning bid on the US site for an equivalent bid and getting good deals.

I have struck out so far in Paris (may 13-15 for 3* at $90 in the central zones), Budapest (May 16-19 4* up to $75), and Prague (May 22-25 4* up to $85).

Is it because it is the beginnig of the high season or is it because I need to place simialr bids on the UK site?

ie. Does the UK site have a greater availability for European hotels than the US site or is it all the same???

Please let me know. thanks

P.S. thereyouare....i looked for a recent answer in a previous thread but couldn't find one. Please direct me there if one exists.

lls

HI lls138,

I think the thread Thereuare was referring to is this one:

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=22782&

It is the most recent thread on Priceline UK vs US that I know of. IF the link doesn't work, just go to the start page of betterbidding.com and click on Run of the house section. It's a few topics down.

Have you checked rates and availibility with actual hotels directly from hotel websites? There could be festivals or other events that are causing a higher than usual occupancy rate in those cities. And, May is the start of the tourist season, so rates could be on the high side. Your best bet is to just keep trying, and while you are trying, to book a cancellable back up at hotels in the cities you are going.

Good Luck!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]