Hotwire Hotel: Hotwire hotel appearing/disappearing

kstrom
By kstrom,
in

For the last couple of days, I have been tracking Washington DC Hotwire hotels for April 12-16, 2006 (plans aren't firm yet, so can't purchase). I have noticed that a 3.5* Whitehouse/Capital Hill hotel (restaurant, pool, fitness, computer, business -- probably Hyatt Regency Washington on Capital Hill) has been appearing and disappearing. Each time I see it, the price is the same ($92), so it really does seem like its the same hotel each time. The only regularity seems to be whether I put kids down or not (the hotel shows up when I put my two kids in, but not when I don't). It seems odd that a hotel would show up WITH kids, but not without. Has anyone heard of this happening?

Thanks,

KStrom

Hotwire will only show you the least expensive hotel at each star rating in each zone. When searching for your dates for 2 adults, the least expensive property at the 3.5* rating is the Boutique hotel at $85. This hotel may not be able to accomodate more than 2 adults per room, so when you do a search and include your kids, this Boutique property is excluded from the possibilties... therefore Hotwire showns you the next cheapest hotel available, which in this case is the $92 hotel.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the explanation. I learned two things from it.

I hadn't noticed the regularity of Hotwire only displaying the cheapest hotel at a star rating for each area. Is there someway to defeat this (i.e., get Hotwire to list all of the 3.5*s in an area regardless of price)? For us, a 3.5* with a pool is better than a 3.5* hotel without a pool that costs a few dollars less, so it would be nice to be able to compare hotels' ammentities.

I also didn't realize that Hotwire took seriously the number of people in the room if some were < 18 years old. A second good thing to know.

Thank you!

Kstrom

There is no way to get Hotwire to show all hotels at a given star rating because they will only show one hotel at each star rating in each zone. You will never see two hotels with the same star rating in the same zone on a given search ('condo' and 'all-inclusive' properties are each treated as their own 'hotel-class', so it is possible to see a 4* condo, a 4* hotel, and a 4* all-incusive on the same search... but never two of these at the same star level)

As eluded to above, you can sometimes play around with the number of occupants to get different properties to appear.

I will add that in a rare situation recently, i searched for 2 adults in an area and only one 1* hotel appeared in the region. I then changed to 2 adults and 2 children and not only saw the 1* but also two additional properties appear (a 2* and a 2.5* if i recall correctly)... still didn't understand that one. :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

There is no way to get Hotwire to show all hotels at a given star rating because they will only show one hotel at each star rating in each zone.

I really don't get the logic behind this.

If I need a hotel with Internet access, and the one hotel shown by Hotwire in a zone/level does not show this icon - I won't buy from Hotwire and they lose my business. How is this good for them or anyone? They do have a hotel in the zone/level with Internet access, but you see it only when you select 4 adults, which a less-educated user wouldn't know to do.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]