Bidding Help Detroit to Paris

magpiejaphie
By magpiejaphie,
in

Are your dates set or are you flexible? Mid week depatures look cheaper than weekends. For early May I see prices from $756 to $876. Delta has a direct flight some days all in for $816.30.

So the question is how much would you want to save by giving up your choice of depature times, control of layovers and type of aircraft. Example one low cost trip leaves DTW on a Canadair Reg. Jet (small aircraft) gos to Washington, DC where you would have a 2 hour layover. So you have to put a price on that.

Taxes add up quite a bit on these flights example:

Fare (A1): DL DTTPAR LKXNR5 fare $365.00

Fare (A2): DL PARDTT LKXNR5 fare $365.00

Tax: US September 11th Security Fee $2.50

Tax: US International Departure Tax $14.50

Tax: US Passenger Facility Charge $4.50

Tax: US International Arrival Tax $14.50

Tax: French Airport Tax

I'm ok with spending almost a full day traveling- layovers are no problem- because of the whole time thing we're not going to get there until the next day anyhow- I would much rather save money, and waste a day exploring an airport, thats the joy of being 22 and leaving the day after college graduation :). So I checked fares for my dates, 5/9-5/30, and they seem to average $775 that's including taxes- leaving and coming home on Tuesdays. Small planes don't bother me either- I don't love them, but can handle a short flight.

I've never bid on airfare through priceline before- would it be reasonable to start with a $500 bid? Assuming I would pay an extra $100 in taxes? Are the airfares really disounted up to 40% like they claim?

Thanks so much for your help!

I'm ok with spending almost a full day traveling- layovers are no problem- because of the whole time thing we're not going to get there until the next day anyhow- I would much rather save money, and waste a day exploring an airport, thats the joy of being 22 and leaving the day after college graduation :).

Sounds like your a perfect candidate for Priceline. I have explored enough airports so I prefer not to have long delays.

So I checked fares for my dates, 5/9-5/30, and they seem to average $775 that's including taxes- leaving and coming home on Tuesdays. Small planes don't bother me either- I don't love them, but can handle a short flight.

I've never bid on airfare through priceline before- would it be reasonable to start with a $500 bid? Assuming I would pay an extra $100 in taxes? Are the airfares really disounted up to 40% like they claim?

Thanks so much for your help!

In the early days of bidding for airfare on priceline yes you could find deals 40% off. I know I booked them. But the last few years I am not as flexible so I have not even bid for airfare on Priceline.

I would think that a starting bid of $500 is reasonable, you still have some time so you will be able to rebid.

You can also re-bid when bidding for airfare.

Start your first search with DTW-->CDG (i'm assuming those are the airports you'd like). During this search note the alternate DTW airport (TOL) and the alternate Paris airports (ORY and LBG).

If you're first bid is rejected, you can then start a new search (close previous browser and relaunch from a new browser) for the route TOL-->CDG. On the subsequent screen UNcheck TOL and check DTW, run your search again. If rejected you can then try DTW-->ORY but on the subsequent screen UNcheck ORY and check CDG.

This should give you at least 6 re-bids... you just have to make sure that you remember to UNcheck the pre-selected airport and only have the airports you do want (DTW and CDG) when submitting your bid.

Makes sense?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi Magpiejaphie,

As an alternative, if you want a cheap deal and don't mind a bit of a run around. Zoom http://www.flyzoom.com have Toronto to Paris CDG for $604 Canadian = about $520 US inc all taxes etc.

Take a bus to Toronto (Blag a lift from a friend? Pay his gas?) and you're in! Just a thought, hope it helps if the Priceline is NBG.

Have a great trip, :) Pirate

PS I have flown a couple of times with Zoom and they are OK, certainly at least as good as Delta.

If you like Pirate's suggestion of flying out of Toronto. Besides the bus, there is also the train to Toronto which is much more confortable. Either the Amtrak train via Port huron/Sarnia or the via Rail from Windsor. Both arrive in downtown Toronto. Across the street from the station is the York Hotel that has a shuttle bus to the airport for a small fee. I have taken the train to Toronto several times to catch flights to Buenos Aires & Sao Paulo. bon voyage

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]