Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Mag Mile-Wacker Drive) Swissotel Chicago

hsr
By hsr,
in

Hi, I would really appreciate it if you fill me with some information about this hotel.

(I mistakenly put the date as 3/17-18, but the date I searched is 3/16-17.)

3/16-17 *4 hotel $113 Chicago loop (downtown area)

amenities: restaurant, fitness.

Is this possibly "Boutique" hotel without a sign of "B"??

hsr

The hotel is located in Chicago loop(downtown area)

hsr

Welcome to BetterBidding!

This is not an exact match for anything previously reported. However, if i were to take a guess i'd think maybe the Hilton with a new set of amenities than it has previously been reported with as this hotel has changed their amenties a few times before.

Let us kwow what you decide to do or if we can be of further help.

EDIT TO ADD: i didn't see AaronJB's comments above, so call it two in favor of the Hilton :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for your advice, guys.

Before getting your replies, I found an old post that someone said that he got "Swissotel" by choosing a 4* hotel with these two icons. But then, Swissotel is not in loop, so this is not....

Plus my bf again changed his mind and we decided to go up to Chicago on 3/17. Now I am looking for a hotel on 3/17-18.

I will report icons, *, and the price if I get a hotel on hotwire.com. Again, thank you so much for your help!

hsr

Highlights from Hotwire for 3/17-18

4*/Mag Mile/Wacker Drive - Amenities: Fitness/Business/Spa. $103 Could possibly be either the Swiss or Hyatt hiding some of their usual amenities, but out of the two, I'd lean towards it being the Hyatt.

4*/Loop/Fitness/Business/Restaurant - $114. Again, likely the Hilton.

3.5*/Loop/ Fitness/Business/Restaurant/Pool - $96. Probably the Palmer House.

4* - North Michigan/Water Tower/GC - fitness/business/restaurant/hi-speed - $134. Either the Drake, Westin michigan Ave or Ambassador East.

3.5* - Mag Mile/Wacker Drive - fitness/business/restaurant/pool - $117. Likely the Sheraton Towers.

3.5* - North Michigan Ave/Water Tower/GC - $139 - possibly the Whitehall.

Notes: The Whitehall is on EasyClickTravel for your dates for $119 per night.

Thank you so much AaronJB.

Now I am wondering which 4* I should choose, but I think I am kinda leaning toward the Palmer House, because I found a bad review about Regency(noisy on Friday/crowded check-in line) and have stayed in Sheraton before(OK hotel.) And actually I already have a reservation on Four Points by Sheraton Mag. Mile for $150 (cancellable,) so if I choose a different hotel, I should go for the cheapest one.

The only concern is that we want to go up to Water Tower for sure, which looks FAR AWAY from Palmer if we walk....hope I could have found a different "Boutique" hotel along the river, but it seems the list doesn't change at all (or will it change sometime? Last night when I was browsing the same list with my mozzila firefox, I believe Hotel Allegro suddenly appeared for $148 or so instead of Palmer.)

Again, thank you so much for your help. I feel very lucky that I found this web before actually buying anything on hotwire.

hsr

Hi,

I found a pretty good deal on a hotel and now am ready to book it. But then I started to worry about the room preference. My bf and I are staying together so I prefer 1 King bed instead of 2 dbles or 1 Queen. Also I have allergy to smoke&dust, so I definitely want to get a Non-smoking room.

But how far is this kind of preference negotiable? I believe that I should contact the hotel by myself and just make sure they get a right room for us, but is there any possibility that, for example, we will be assigned a smoking room with 2dbls although the hotel's official site show at least it still has a Non-smoking room with 1 King bed?

I am a newbie here and I am a bit nervous this is the first time to book a room on Hotwire. I would really appreciate it if you give me some advice on this issue.

Thank you!

hsr

Hi,

I am a newbie here so I would appreciate it if you give me some advice.

Finally I think I found a good deal for a room and now am ready to buy it. But then I started to worry about how far my room preferences are negotiable, or guaranteed. I will stay at the hotel with my bf so we prefer 1 King to 1 Queen or 2 Dobls. Plus I have allergy to smoke & dust, so I definitely prefer a Non-smoking room.

How much are my room prefenreces negotiable, and ultimately guaranteed? I understand that I need to contact the hotel directly to make sure it understands my preferences, but is it still possible that you are assigned to a Smoking room with 2 Dbls because you paid less than others? When I checked the official site of the hotel (I believe) I am almost purchasing says it still has a Non-smoking room with 1 King.

Thank you so much for your input!

hsr

but is it still possible that you are assigned to a Smoking room with 2 Dbls because you paid less than others?

Yes, it is possible. It's hard to say how likely, because it depends on the hotel. Many hotels will try to work with you, but if they are full, you'll definitely have lower priority.

However, I have known people who booked directly who made their preferences clear, who still haven't gotten what they wanted.

Thank you guys!

Well....it seems that there might be a slight difference between Hotwirers and others as to how far their preferences can be negotiated but not much difference as to how much they are guaranteed.

Since the hotel I booked for backup (which is $50 more) clearly says "Non-smoking room with 1 King bed," I hesitate to go ahead and buy the room on Hotwire. Hmmm......it's just a one-night stay so never going to be a big deal...but....

OK, I'll have to decide this by myself. Again, thank you so much for sharing your opinions, guys. I really appreciate it!

hsr

there is no guarantee that you will get your non smoking room, but I have easily booked 100 rooms through Priceline and Hotwire and only once did I get put into a smoking room. You should sign up for the hotel chain's "rewards" card (which is free and can be done online) and call the hotel the day of your reservation, preferably after the morning "rush" of guests checking out and politely ask if you can get a room asignment. The risk IMHO is minimal, the rewards (saving 50% or more) are great.

PS. just go into Pep Boys and get a small can of Ozium, it is a fragrance-free odor eliminator and it works pretty good.

I've always wondered which bed type (if any) was considered an 'upgrade'?

it seems that in the NY Metro area, a room with two double beds is an upgrade, but a room with one bed King, Queen or Double is de rigeur. Vegas too?

If you want to go to Water Tower, then I would go with the Whitehall deal on easyclicktravel. The Whitehall is literally two blocks from WT and 1 block from Hancock Observatory and a couple of blocks from 900 N. Michigan Mall. Plus, there is an subway station not far away on Chicago and State if you want a quick way to get into the downtown/loop area. It does get some mixed reviews, but $119 regular rate from EasyClickTravel is about $30-40 less than regular rate everywhere else, and the location is first-rate.

I definitely know where you're coming from in regards to dust/smoke allergies. The only time I've ever had a bad issue was at the W City Center, which was an otherwise nice hotel. The majority of the room wasn't dusty, but the corners (behind the bed, etc) looked like they hadn't been dusted in ages.

If you have an allergy problem while here, look for a product called Sinofresh. It's an over-the-counter non-medicated nose spray that is sold at local drug stores (CVS/Walgreens/Osco in the allergy/sinus section). It's not a massively marketed product, so I don't think it's available in all markets. It's a little expensive ($15), but I think it works - it's an antiseptic spray for the nose that cleans out dust/mold/etc. Check the label before using (even though it's non-medicated).

Personally, I've never had a problem with getting non-smoking in downtown Chicago when booking via Hotwire or Priceline (and in some cases, it has been what's booked with the hotel by the service). That's not to say that it is 100% guaranteed, but there seems to be more non-smoking rooms than smoking rooms in downtown Chicago. Where I've had a problem with it is booking rooms for friends in Wisconsin via Hotwire or Priceline, where they have gotten stuck w/smoking a couple of times.

When booking on PL or Hotwire, bed requests are up to the hotel and depend on the traffic of the day, too. Nothing is guaranteed, but you are not going on what appears to be a particularly busy day, given rates.

The only reason I don't recommend the Palmer House is that, if you're going to be out later in the evening, the loop area can be very quiet. Not unsafe quiet necessarily, but it's largely a business district and when everyone goes home, it definitely empties out. The area North of the river remains more lively later into the night. Otherwise, it would work if you took a taxi back at night. Water Tower would be maybe a 20-25 minute walk.

I definitely agree with you on the Sheraton.

I still like the Whitehall EasyClickTravel idea, but Other possibilities I'm seeing:

Drake - massive older landmark hotel on the North end of the Michigan Ave. shopping area, close to Water Tower. Some mixed reviews, but a definite landmark building with a lot of history. $160 on Expedia.

Hotel Indigo - I recommend this newer boutique hotel a lot; it's a renovated hotel in the Gold Coast area (about a 5-7-minute walk to Water Tower) Warm color palette/decor (fits as a "romantic" hotel for couples), and around the corner from the Division/State tavern/pub area. A lot of restaurants nearby and a subway station a few blocks away. Gets good reviews. Not a 4*, but a strong 3/3 1/2* $169.

Fairmont - This would be a nice 4* for $149 on Expedia. It's South of the river, right by Millennium Park. Being on Michigan Ave and close enough to the river, this wouldn't be quite as quiet as the area by the Palmer.

Embassy Suites Lakefront - Not the best choice for a couple (mainly a family hotel and a lot of kids running around) but great location across from where the Sheraton is + free breakfast. $179+ free room upgrade (doesn't specify details) on Hotels.com

Hotel Monaco - This is a funky (in terms of style) 4* along the river that has some fun amenities, such as the ability to have a goldfish for your stay. Wine reception at night. $175 on Expedia.

Westin River North - The rooms don't have the same sleek, Japanese style that the lobby does (this used to be the Japanese-owned Hotel Nikko), but they do boast the Westin Heavenly Amenities (Bed/Shower/etc) and I feel this is a nicer property than the Michigan Ave. Westin. $180 on Expedia. Across from the House of Blues.

dahammer,

Thanks for your tip. That's a great idea to join the hotel's chain's "reward" card! That will work perfectly for us, for the hotel (I believe) I am almost purchasing is one of the biggest chain hotels and I know it has a reward card. Yes, I will definitely try that, and as you said, I'll call the hotel to politely ask them for a room with our preference.

And also your comment is very encouraging. I personally doubt any hotel can possibly be filled with people leaving no room to switch in case of some "emergency," but still I wondered how many Hotwirers got an exact room they wanted.

I have never heard either Pep Boys or "Ozium," but it surely sounds powerful. I will check them at stores in my neighborhood before going on a trip.

Thank you!!!

hsr

I personally doubt any hotel can possibly be filled with people leaving no room to switch in case of some "emergency

This can definitely happen! I've been in hotels that have sold out which meant the front desk had to do some juggling (I was fine, though), and once I was "walked" to another hotel (not a Priceline or Hotwire booking, though). If there's no special event or holiday, though, the odds are low this will happen.

First of all, thereyouare, thank you for guiding a newbie like me by merging my topics. I couldn't find my initial post at first, so I rewrote the same question. I apologize.

AaronJB,

Again, I really appreciate your detailed advice. I have been to Chicago a couple of times, but I always stayed around Wacker or North Michigan, so I don't know how the Loop neighboorhood will be like at night. We are a couple so I don't think there is a chance that I will have to walk alone in the dark at night (unless we have a huge fight,) but still I am a bit concerned about the emptiness you referred to. Yes, North Michigan definitely stays alive later at night. Hmmm.....

Keeping the backup hotel, I once booked the Fairmont. But I found several bad reviews on Tripadvisor, some of which particularly mention issues of mold and dust, and I was kind of freaked out. So I cancelled it even though its virtual image on Expedia looks pretty good....so I started to wonder again!!

As far as our budget goes, we want to book a hotel under $150 partly because we are driving up to Chicago and we know the parking fee is also very expensive. It seems you have to pay another $30 to $40 for valet parking. I know Hotel Monaco is offering a Non-Smoking King room for $169 on its website, but 20 bucks more is a bit too painful.

Anyway, our limited choice might be....Palmer ($96 on HW), Fairmont ($149 on the official website,) Fourpoint Sheraton ($150 on its official website) ...and Whitehall ($119 on EasyClickTravel)....

Also I appreciate your suggestion for my allergy. Actually I have heard the product before. We do have CVS and Osco in our neighborhood, so I will check it. Or I should just keep taking this Claritin.

Willtravel,

the only thing I am a bit concerned about is our stay is on St. Patrick's Day. It seems that the city already had a parade yesterday, so I doubt it has another one on 3/17, though.

* And because my bf is Irish, initially I wanted to book Fitzpatrick. But it only offers a very very expensive room!! Then I found an "off-the-record" hotel--which looks like Fitzpatrick(I simply copied the description and googled it, which hit numerous websites with "Fitzpatrick") but cannot be identified even with this web's reverse page--on EasyClickTravel for $146, which makes me again wonder which to stay at!

Sorry, I am soo indecisive! But Thank you soooooo much for your help!! I don't feel I can thank you enough. I will let you know at which hotel we decide to stay.

hsr

Hi,

I would like to thank everyone who helped me make this decision!

When I went back to Hotwire to check the hotel list, I found a 4* hotel on Wacker with Restaurant, Fitness, Spa, and Tennis Court, which convinced me the hotel is Swissotel based on the information from this website. So I quickly input all my credit card information and clicked for purchase, and voila, it is Swissotel!!

Although the rate $110 is not necessarily the best deal for this hotel, I am extremely happy with this purchase! Whew, we saved $$$ AND can stay on Wacker! I will contact the hotel to make sure that we can get a Non-smoking room with 1 King bed.

I really want to thank thereuare(I misspelled your name last time, sorry!) and his website for helping me prepare to get a good deal on Hotwire. The hotel list really works!!!! And also thank you, AaronJB, for giving me such useful information. I learned a lot about hotels on North Michigan, so I will try some next time.

And I will save Fitzpatrick for maybe another special St. Patrick's Day next year. Hope this website decyphers the "off-the-record" mystery by then!

hsr

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]