Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency on Hudson

Daniel1978
By Daniel1978,
in

Hi everyone,

I have planned my vacation on the east coast for this summer, and I have planned a 3 day visit in NYC at the very beginning. Again, I would like to stay in Jersey City in a 3* hotel, like I did several times before (but with no luck at Priceline).

I have already started bidding for a three night stay from 6/2 - 6/5 (Friday-Monday), knowing of my free-rebid zone (Elizabeth).

Here is what I did:

Selected Jersey City 3*, bid $59, rejected, added Elizabeth,

bid $65, rejected.

72 hour lockout runs now.

Do you have a better strategy for me ? The price per night w/o tax should not be higher than $85.

Regards, Daniel

All you can really do in this situation is raise each bid by $5 for the next two bidding cycles, which would then bring your bid up to your maximum of $85. If you are successful i dont' think it will be at the Hyatt, but rather more likely at the Doubletree.

You may also be interested in that i do think you could have success for a 3* hotel in NYC for $100-$110, which may end up being more convenient for you for just a few dollars more if your intention is to spend most of your time in NYC.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks a lot for your help, I will try this when my lockout expires (Thursday 4pm ET). Apart from this, would you think that I am bidding too early for a stay in June ? What about considering bidding on a 2,5* hotel - is the Courtyard still the only 2,5* in the Jersey City area ? I was wondering about the chances for an upgrade to 3* ... and as far as I have read the Courtyard is not too bad.

A NYC hotel would be nice as well, but since I will continue my journey on Monday 6/2 by renting a car at EWR (see my Boston thread in the Massachussetts area), Jersey City would be most convenient for me. Anyway, I am just staying there for one weekend, so I dont mind taking the PATH to/from Manhattan.

Regards,

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Something seems to be happening at Priceline right now.

After my unsuccessful bids for Jersey City 3*, today I tried again starting at $65. Immidiately, a couteroffer came up, saying that I could bid again if I increase my bid by $17. Since I am in no hurry, I added my free re-bid zone and bid $66. Then the same counteroffer came up, which I declined.

Does this have to say anything ? Two weeks ago, there were no counteroffers at $65, and today I received 2 of them. For this period, Hotwire is showing a 4* (Hyatt) for $148 per night, Hyatt website shows $161 (AAA) and Doubletree website $159.

Kind regards,

Daniel

For the sake of $9 a night, I would just bid $75 and get the Doubletree if you want some level of certainty now. I have noticed that one can get either the Hyatt or Doubletree for the weekends at a $65-75 price. It isn't until you get closer to the actual date that you can get a great price early or mid week. I have two winning bids at the Doubletree for $90 a night all in ($75 + taxes) for May 13-15 and May 18-20.

Proud to be Canadian!

Seems like the Hyatt Jersey City released some inventory to Hotwire & Priceline for the spring and summer months. Today, Hotwire showed "Best Value" at a rate of $77 for Jun2 - Jun5 - for the first time since I am watching the rates (approx. 3 weeks now).

So I started Priceline, selected 3* Jersey City and bid $59. Accepted on first try.

Your Offer Price: $59.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 3

Subtotal: $177.00

Taxes & Service Fees:

$35.11

Total Charges: $212.11

To me it seems logical now that there is a causal connection between good Hotwire rates and Priceline wins at extremely low rates.

In my opinion, this is a good deal for the summer.

Thanks to all of you, I now focus on my Boston stay

Kind regards,

Daniel

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]