Criteria for Star Rating???

ufauxreal
By ufauxreal,
in

This is something I have always been curious about. Is there a list somewhere of which facilities/amenities, etc. a hotel needs to have in order to be given a specific star rating???

For instance, if one hotel is 2 1/2*, what would it need (or what is missing) that it is not a 3*???

And.... on a similar note... just WHAT is a 'Boutique' Hotel.

Enquiring minds want to know :-)

JB

In the US and Canada, I think the difference between 2.5* and 3* on Priceline is that 3* has a full-service restaurant and room service whereas a 2.5* only guarantees breakfast service. If you go to Priceline and look at the descriptions of the ratings, that seems to be the difference. Note that the list of amenities required for a 3*:

Remote Control TV with Premium Channels

Telephone with Voicemail

Radio Alarm Clock

Iron and Ironing Board

Hairdryer

Business Services

24 Hour Front Desk

Restaurant

Room Service

For a 2.5*, these are required:

Telephone with Voicemail

Radio Alarm Clock

Iron and Ironing Board

Hairdryer

Business Services

24 Hour Front Desk

(Note that breakfast isn't mentioned in the list of amenities, but it is mentioned in the Priceline text description.)

Also note that these lists of amenities do not apply for hotel rooms in Europe. There, the list is much shorter for each star level.

I can't say for sure why some places qualify as Boutique, but it seems to be that if the hotel can portray itself as "cool" or "funky," but it lacks the amenities needed to be 3*, it can still be a boutique. Maybe it should really be a 2*, but it qualifies for something a little extra.

Hello, ufauxreal! Good to 'see' you again!

Both Priceline and Hotwire do have a list of ratings and meanings on their sites. For Hotwire, click on "View Ratings Guide" after doing a hotel search and it will list the stars and associated descriptions.

As for Boutique, I thought Priceline considered it as falling between a 3 and 4*? There was a discussion here about upgrades to or from boutique level, but I couldn't find it just now. (thereuare, you did some research on this, didn't you?)

Hotwire removes the star rating from the boutique designation, so you can have a 2.5* Boutique hotel or a 3.5* Boutique hotel, etc.

I used to think Boutique was a way of including good quality independent hotels but even the chains have boutique hotels or have created chains (eg W Hotels or Kimpton Hotels). Here is the Hotwire description:

Boutique Hotel

Hotel has a distinctive, unique or eclectic atmosphere. It may be a smaller, hip property tucked into an urban setting, or a renovated hotel with a historical flair -- but it's always a bit different and unusual.

Here's what Priceline says for Boutique:

Usually smaller and more intimate, boutique hotels offer a different experience than your typical hotel. These unique, and often historic properties are well appointed with designer soft-goods, upgraded amenities and eclectic designs.

Due to their historic nature, rooms may be slightly smaller than standard hotels and may only accommodate one bed. Boutique hotels cater to the customer and tend to provide a more personal level of guest service. Creative restaurants, room service, fitness centers and business services are some of the amenities and services offered.

Boutique hotels will have the following amenities:

Telephone with Voicemail

Radio Alarm Clock

Iron and Ironing Board

Hairdryer

Business Services

Restaurant

24 Hour Front Desk

So a Boutique does have a restaurant, but may also lack some of the amenities of a 3*. Priceline does place Boutique between a 3* and a 4*, but I don't know if that is justified in many cases. I think Hotwire's method of adding a star rating along with a Boutique designation is better.

My definition of Boutique has always been, "the hotel is so small we'd never get away with calling it x stars, so we call it Boutique", but i think many chains ('W' in particular) are dispelling this myth.

Scorp, here' the thread you were refering to (i think): Upgrade Hierarchy

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks, guys, for your replies... confirms what I sort of figured out intuitively. We stayed in a couple of Amerisuites Hotels this summer, and were very impressed. The ones we stayed in seemed to be very new. They seemed to be higher than a 2 1/2*, but probably because they did not have a restaurant on site (except for their free breakfasts... which were wonderful) they didn't quite make it to that 3* level.

I had been bidding from April until the end of August for the Amerisuites in Mystic, CT over Labor Day weekend. Never did get it, so we camped out in our tent. I guess I'd give it a star rating of about minus 2* :-)

JB

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]