Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) InterContinental The Barclay

Emphy
By Emphy,
in

Hi There,

Coming to new York march 31 at JFK 12:55 From Amsterdam and leaving april 3 14:55 from JFK to San Diego.

Currently on travelzoo is a deal on the Hudson hotel for 159 But i'v seen some bad reviews. I have read a lot on this forum! so i am still not sure if i should use Priceline ore Hotwire.

I am more thinking about booking the affinia 50 because of its Kitchen! and the reviews about the beds.

if i book on affinia.com will be $904 including all tax and i wil be refunded 50$ because of the sunday in teh city package.

I know its quite a lot of money! But for what i have read on this forum minimal bidding would be 140 i tried that on priceline **** Ny Manhatten east west and central park all bets upto 140 were not winning.

My question realy is what to do. Should i wait and still every day look at travelzoo hotwire ore priceline ore should i be sure to have the affinia 50 and book it. Does any of you know if i call the hotel directly it will be possible to get a discount?

I would realy realy HATE it if i get a winning bid at priceline at a crap hotel and beeing there will be angry on my self because saving money and not feeling to wel about it.

Any suggestions?

I dont knoiw what to do :)

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I think you need to decide what type of accomodations you want.

The Hudson is only $150 but poor reviews... the Affinia group (all of their hotels) "does it right" but by my calculations you're looking at $250/nite (after your $50 rebate) before taxes and fees... which is probably not your best value (imo).

So you're looking at $250 for a 'good' hotel and yet you've only bid up to $140 on Priceline for a 4* property. I'm sure there is something inbetween that represents a good value, but right now you're not comparing apples-to-apples (ie- Priceline 4* at $140 vs. Affinia at $250).

Once you decide if you want to go 'budget' or 'nice' we'll be able to help you pin down the best deal for these dates.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

thereuare thanks for the reply

Still not sure what to do. my problem is with bidding on priceline i am not sure what i get when i will bid up to 150. My thoughts are if i bid 150 and i am accepted but dont like the hotel i could beat myself not spending 100 more a night and be in affinia 50.

What i will do now is call the reservation nr of Affinia and see how i will be treated on the phone.

The location of the affinia is very nice ( close to the zoo!)and the beds have great reviews.

I am traveling single and i smoke ( bad habit) :) Suppoose on the days i am in NY the weather is very bad ore if i feel sick and i am stuck up in a bedroom only not on walking distance to central park....

Most important to me on my stay is the view from the hotel room, the bed has to be good. and i want tea making facilities in the room.and i want to be at a location from were i can on walking feet visit main attractions and things to do. I HATE a very yuppie hotel. I want to meet normal people from all over the world.

My thoughts are if i bid 150 and i am accepted but dont like the hotel i could beat myself not spending 100 more a night...

$100 is a pretty big savings. I could see not spending $25 more per nite, but for an extra $100 i could certainly find other ways to make myself enjoy the accomodations (ie- bottle wine, room service, etc)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Emphy,

I believe you already know what you want to do!

If you can afford to get what you want and don't want to take risks then go with your "choice". To bid on Priceline you need to be flexible and willing to take the good and the bad.

Hotwire is easier to work as you are much more confident in what you are bidding for but if you are happy with the Affinia 50 and it does not put you over budget, go and book it. Check out a few websites or use hotelscomparison.com to check that the Affinia.com rate is the best for you. remember to book through the Support BetterBidding links where possible.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Blueskies

PS Is San Diego sorted yet?

Bluesky correct i think i know wat i want.

But suppoose i do a bidding on priceline for a 4 star hotel what would the rates be?

another thing i dont understand is i did a search on octopustravel.com and if i search on 1 person i see the guestroom including all taxes for 754.50 on affinia.com it is 904.

if i search on octopus for a twinbed i get on request only please contact us.

Still dont know what to do :)

will the booking on octopustravel give me another room then directly booking on affinia.com

Greetings from Groningen (The netherlands)

Its me again.

Sofar i have this march 31, 1 night at the chelsea lodge (deposit 100 $) fully refunded if i cancel 12 hours before booking date. But at least i got a backup, total cost= 115,90.

I phoned the affinia but noway on a discount. telling them the rate's on octopus.com were 200$less then on affinia.com they told me to book on octopus.com (strange answer for a hotel!)

I tried bidding on savingbarns. Date march 31 arrival april 3 leaving. I started 100$ CP/U i knew i would get nothing but i wanted again seeing how priceline worked. added MD E, denied ad Midtown west denied. I bidded on 4 stars.

Closed browser. started again ME 4* 120 denied added CP denied added MW denied.

its 05.05 now in the night here so i MUST sleep in my own 5 star bedroom :) have to get up at 10.00 because work starts at 12.00

Thanks for the advice and tips sofar.

i'll be back!

Take Care

Hi There,

Please help identify hotel on Hotwire.

Dates 31 march-3 april,

Offered on Hotwire **** star Hotel in Midtown east Custumor Favorite, tripadvisor traveling rate 4 of 5

Restaurant, Fitnes , tennis, business centre.

131$ a night (3 nights)

Thanks

Thanks thereuare!

Sorry didnt get it all my post have to been in same area since its a hotwire offer i placed it there.

131 a night is not bad at all! I ll check out the barcly on tripadvisor NOW, if i like it ill probably take it.

will be back here after reading reviews on tripadvisor.

see you in 10 minute's

Harry

Just read the mail about Barclay $99 in this forum... Ok Hotwire has it for 131$

should i try a priceline bid to get even lower as the 131 ? ore would that be useless?

(my signature is: There are no stupid questions :)

Awaiting help. will stay in this forum :)

Hi Thereuare, You have been very patient with me! :)

OK it worked :o

You were right it was the Barclay. (the hotwire $131 offer) So as newbie posted in this forum he saw 121 and bid on priceline 99.. I followed his tip. went to priceline ( using savingbarns) bidded 99 rejected bidded 105 Got a message low chance of exepted.. went on... got the message if you bid 22? more you can rebid?

bidded 22 more and accepted! got the Barclay for 127 3 nights subtotal 381 taxes 72.06 totol 453.06

dates March 31 april 3.

Got a 10$ reward.

So my New York hotel is finally done and saved :)

Took me a lot of thinking for myself and again thanks for all the help!

April 3 evenings i will be in San Diego! Will be picked up by friends! but will sure use SavingsBarn again and this forum again to find a rental car and hotels on my trip!

April 6 i need a car and i want the drive Yosemite Park, Las Vegas, and the rocky mountains!

plan to do camping on Koa campings there but if in the way i was supported here i might consider finding hotels :D

Again thanks a lot.

Harry

:)

Glad it worked out well for you and you had great success!

Regarding your "Got a 10$ reward".... BE CAREFUL!!

Read the fineprint and you'll see that this is a membership club and you'll start to get billed monthly on your credit card... doublecheck and cancel it (unless you have some use for their service)

Enjoy your stay and thank you for using the PRICELINE links at SavingsBarn.com to do your bidding.

Hi,

I will sure check what is taken from my cc. If they take it ill call the bank and get it back :)

I forgot to mention something about my bidding! I entered a cancel code before bidding 5 dollars a day. so my actual price for The Barclay is 122.

Take Care!

• 2 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]