"Extra nights for the same rate" option on Priceline

Phaelon56
By Phaelon56,
in

Apologies to all if this topic has been covered elsewhere and I missed it. I just bid and won today for two nights at the Hyatt Regency in Bethesda MD. On the screen that showed my winnin bid results was a link that said something to the effect of:

"Happy with the hotel you won? Get extra nights at the same rate."

It might have said "extend your stay for the same rate" but regardless... I've never seen this before. Is it new or just something that's only offeed on rare occasions?

here is mine from the Denver win a few days ago. It is directly on the confirmation page instead of in the help section. No guarantee on the rate though.

Happy with your hotel? Extend your stay for the same nightly rate.

There is a link on the extend your stay part which takes you to this:

it's easy to add hotel nights to your request. Just choose additional check-out dates below and we'll search the hotel you were originally booked in for the additional nights. If rooms are available, we'll book them immediately and charge the credit card you used to make your original offer.

Please note: Since hotel inventory and pricing change constantly, we cannot guarantee that extra nights will be available. If your request is accepted you may be required to move rooms for the additional nights. You may only add additional nights to this priceline hotel reservation one time. If the credit card you used to make your original offer has been deleted from your profile, you will not be able to add nights to this reservation.

Add Nights

Please choose the additional nights you need using the drop-down below.

Select a new check-out date:

Later Check-Out Date:

I could see it being useful if you split your bid and then could add some of the additional nights anyway.

Assume you have a 5 night stay. PL rejects a 5 night bid. You split and bid for the first 2 alone, guessing that's the right way to get around the problem. You could then add another night and only have to deal with bidding for 2 more later, rather than 3.

So I guess that's something...

I just found this feature for the first time also. Just wanted to cover some specifics that I'm not sure have been mentioned.

You can extend your trip with an earlier check in date, or a later check out date, but NOT both.

Priceline does guarantee the same hotel, but not necessarily the same rate. It's my impression that they just bid again for you, on only that one property, for the additional days. So the earlier mentioned strategy of splitting the bid when you can't get a reasonable rate for all your nights, and then just adding nights, wouldn't work.

However, if there were several four star hotels in a zone, and you had a preference for just one, you could bid the first night by itself. If you got the hotel you didn't like, you could stay there on night one, and open a separate session for night two. You'd either get the first hotel again (not a problem, at least you wouldn't have to move), or you'd get another undesirable hotel, or you'd get the hotel you were hoping for, at which point you could extend for the remainder of your days. You could possibly try this strategy a number of times, based on how many times your family would tolerate your frugality (a little humor at my own expense), how many nights you were staying, and how many times you would allow changing hotels.

Priceline does guarantee the same hotel, but not necessarily the same rate. It's my impression that they just bid again for you, on only that one property, for the additional days. So the earlier mentioned strategy of splitting the bid when you can't get a reasonable rate for all your nights, and then just adding nights, wouldn't work.

I think you misunderstood me.

Split a 5 night stay into 2 and 3. Get the first 2. It's a hotel you like. MAYBE add 1 or 2 more nights, but obviously not all 3, and have to then bid on only the last 1 or 2 nights at a higher rate. Potentially helpful in situations where you're not sure where the split date should be.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]