Priceline Hotel: New York/New Jersey help DESPERATELY needed

eshspres
By eshspres,
in

I am in desperate need of some bidding advice for the week of December 6-11. I need to be in NYC for several short business related events the 7th, 9th, and 10th. Obviously being HUGE shopping season hotels are through the roof. I am a poor college student that is in need of hotels preferably cheaper than $100. New Jersey (I know of Jersey City, but if it is safe and possible to commute from places like Secaucus, etc. that is definitely an option), renting a car is also an option. Any option that will get me in and out of the city for less than the $1,000,000 a night the hotels have been jacked up to over the years. Any tips, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. If needed I can provide more information about my situation.

NYC for sub-$100 during this time period is not likely.

Your options basically include Jersey City, the Meadowlands area, and the any areas along the NJ Transit train line (the first two being the better of the three options). I wouldn't even think about driving into the city due to traffic and parking costs.

Where are you coming from? (sounds as if you're flying in since you mentioned renting a car, is this the case?) Do you need to make one trip into the city each day or do you need to come/go a more than once a day? Will you have any very early mornings or very late nites?

Let us know and we'll advise further.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks so much for the quick response. I am going to be flying from Indianapolis into New York. I would be more than happy to fly into any of the local airports (JFK, LGA, or Newark). As far as renting a car goes, what I was referring to was renting a car in New Jersey and staying in a hotel that might be away from the PATH or NJ Transit stations. As far as getting in and out of the city goes, I will need to be in the city for those meetings each day (7th, 9th, 10th) for a very short period and wouldn't necessarily need to come back. The earliest meeting I have is at 10am on the 7th. The other meetings are after noon on the 9th and 10th. Thanks so much for the help and this amazing site!

I would probably look towards the Meadowlands area (and also bid the Jersey City area in the process, although i'm doubtful you'll have success in JC at your limit this time of year). The one (big) downside to this area is getting there from the airport... a taxi is about $50-$60 or you can do it via mass transit for about $15, but it will take awhile (maybe 90 minutes) as you have to go from EWR-->NYC-->Meadowlands.

Let us know if this if feasible, or if you'd rather stay elsewhere in NJ and rent a car (but do note that you then also have issues with parking the car if you drive to another location to get a bus/train). You could also get lucky, as many northern NJ hotels are close to a NJ Transit bus stop that will take you into Manhattan.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Would it be cheaper and easier for me to fly into Newark if I were to stay in the Meadowlands? The flight prices to Newark are the same as LGA and JFK. Right now the hotel in Meadowlands (an ExtendedStay America) is running for $54 on Hotwire. I know there is a bus that picks up right outside the hotel. How difficult is the bus travel -- either all the way into the city or to the NJ Transit or PATH train -- for a first timer. I know the NYC subway system extremely well, but I have never traveled on the buses, NJ Transit, or PATH. What do you think my options or bidding price should be for the same or better hotel in Jersey City or Secaucus? Thanks again for the help.

Right now the hotel in Meadowlands (an ExtendedStay America) is running for $54 on Hotwire. I know there is a bus that picks up right outside the hotel.

There are two Extended Stay America hotels in this zone, one right on Rt.3 that is Secaucus and the second 750 Edwin L. Ward, Sr. Memorial Hwy. Rutherford NJ, 07070. I don't believe the Secaucus location has had any reported wins. The Rutherford property is on the edge of an industrial park, next to an office building, completely deserted after 6:00 pm and one mile to the nearest bus stop that even I would not walk. Unless NJ Transit added a route, there is no bus stop outside of this hotel. You must have a car if you win this.

It looks like there is a 2* in the Hoboken-Jersey City zone for $122 that has been reported as the Candlewood. This might be a bit more than your budget, but with your frequent travel into Manhattan, this location can't be beat as it is close to a PATH station (Newport) and the rooms have feature a kitchenette. You probably would not need a car here although parking is free.

I will also add that although over your budget, it may come out to about the same when you factor in ease of getting to the hotel vs. a non-Jersey City location. As i mention above a hotel in the Meadowlands area would require you to rent a car or take a $50-$60 cab ride to the hotel (or a long commute via mass transit). Jersey City would enable you to not have to worry about a car or an expensive taxi ride to/from the hotel.

• 10 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]