D-Link Wireless Router $15 after rebates

thereuare
By thereuare,
in

D-Link 614 Wireless Router for $15 after rebates:

Go to Office Depot and search for item #613684

Use coupon code 92923224 for $15 off

Rebate #1 $30 Rebate (Copy Receipt and UPC)

Rebate #2 $20 Rebate (Original Receipt and UPC)

The rebates go to different clearing houses and have different offer codes, so they should indeed both be valid (and the first one says a copy of UPC and receipt are ok)

Router Cost: $80

Less Coupon: $15

Less Rebate 1: $30

Less Rebate 2: $20

Net Cost: $15

What is a Router? a router allows you to share one internet connection between multiple computers in the house. With this router, you can do this using wires if the computers are next to each other, or wirelessly if the computers are in different rooms of the house. As well, if you have a laptop you can use this router to 'go wireless' and use your laptop anywhere throughout the house (or outside on a deck or porch).

I have hooked up a few routers for myself and for friends, so feel free to ask any questions that you may have.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Office Depot had these on backorder as of several days before the required purchase period ended (Sept 06 was the cut-off date). Not sure if it's the exact same model but CompUSA ran one in yesterday's flyer (at least where I live and I think the flyer is national). D-Link "turbo" 802.11b router base station for $80 in $20 instant rebate and $30 mail-in rebate = final cost of $29.95 - not as good as the Office depot deal but anything under $40 after rebate for this type of product is a good deal.

By the way.... do not spend the extra money at this time for 802.11G products - not yet widely dsitributed enough and well proven enough - you're not really buying enough of a performance increase to justify the extra cost. Also.... be sure to enable WEP encryption and use it (see the owner's manual - it's really easy to do).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I cant wait for a deal and am going to have to go out and purchase one of these but have no clue how to set it up. I will probably be going to best buy or office depot. Do you have a brand preference if price is equal?? I need to link two desktops and one laptop (I think net gear has a package that has the laptop remote included and then i only need to buy an additional module or the second desktop. Any thoughts?

I wouldnt be in such a rush except I have a friends 21 yr old daughter staying with me for a week or two and am having to fight to get to the computer!!!!!

Don't do that just yet!!

I just found a deal for an 802.11g, which is the newer generation of wireless. Cost is $50 after rebate, i didn't post because i was waiting for a deal similar to the above, but i'll get the info and post now.

Do you need wireless capabilities, if not, you can get just a regular router which will serve your purposes. In my follow-up i'll post what you'll need.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

From J&R (if you're not familiar with them, they're a reputable company here in NYC):

Click Here: J&R

Search for item: SMC2804WBR

Price is $75 less $25 mail-in rebate = $50 net cost

Other equipment you'll need:

If the desktops are near the router, you can just use network cable (Cat-5) to plug from the router to the computer (assuming you have a netork card for the computer, if you don't have a netowrk card in your desktop, they can be had very cheap), otherwise you'll need an wireless access point access point (like a Negear ME102). You'll then need a PCMCIA wireless card for the laptop (like the MA401). Instead of a wireless card for the laptop you could also go with a wired card (a little cheaper) but i wouldn't recommend it because you'll want the wireless card for the 'freedom' of using the laptop anywhere in the house! I'm not endorsing any of the above products, but they're fairly common and you can at least do a search for them at a site like Office Depot/Staples and know what you're looking for.

Circuit City has the wireless PCMCIA card for the laptop for $50 after a $10 rebate. BTW, with wired cards for the laptop (the kind i didn't recommend above, as i recommend wireless, but if you get one of these none-the-less), i recommend getting one that is a complete unit (ie- no cable or dongle needed) as the cables/dongles always break (or get lost) and then they're useless. Replacing just the cable direct thru the company is time consuming and usually as costly as replacing the entire card.

You can mix and match brands as they all operate on the same technology, and common low-end brands are Netgear, D-Link, and Belkin (SMC is a little higer up the food chain). It's my understand that the new technology (802.11g) can work with the older technology (802.11b) at the limitations of the older technology (the new technonology can handle more bandwidth over the airwaves, but the old technology is pretty good for most home user's needs). I have equipment from both D-Link and Netgear, but chose them based upon the deals that were available at the time.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the above.

Ok well heres what i picked up . Its returnable if you think I can do better but the total package was $110 after rebates.

I went with the 802.11B because I really dont do any sort of file transfer between computers as it is really just to use the cable modem on all three computers. There just was no technical advantage to upgrade for my application and it was $50 more to do it.

D Link wireless DI-514 Router 29.99 after rebates

D-Link wireless PC card adapter DWL-650 29.99 after rebate

DLink DWL520 PCI Adapter 49.99 no rebate

Let me know what you think

Thanks for the information as well

I think you did good.

Comments on the DWL520:

There is a rebate on the DWL520 (REBATE). It's not good a some retailers and i don't know where you bought it. Usually if it's not good thru certain retailers, then those retailers have their own rebate available, so if you bought at a place on that list, i would double-check to make sure that no rebate is available thru them directly.

Regardless, i've never used that type of adapter as i prefer the other type of wireless adapter, like this one: search for F5D6050 at Circuit City. I think this type is better since, if you get a weak wireless signal, you can easily move the device around the desk area to get better reception. If you don't mind refurbished products it's available directly thru Belkin for $22.49. I'm assuming the computer this will be used on won't be near the router? (if it will be near the router, you don't even need this, you just need a network interface card which your computer probably already has and some network cable... much cheaper and utilizes fewer system resources).

Thats a really good point about being able to move it around.

I will reconsider getting one that I can move around.

I do need one because the two desktops are on different floors.

Bought at Best buy so no rebate and I did double check with the soter to no avail. But it looks as though i may return that piece annywiays so no harm no foul

thanks

For anyone else following along:

Toshiba Wireless Router from CompUSA for $30. Fortunately, there are NO rebates involved, as CompUSA is notorious for poor rebate fufillment. Sold-out online in my area (may be in stock in yours) but plenty of availability locally in-store.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]