Hotel Ammenities for a 4* Hotel

hnewfie
By hnewfie,
in

Can anyone let me know if priceline has a guarentee on the ammenities that come with a 4* hotel. I stayed at the Fairmont Empress Victoria, BC and it did not have air conditioning. There was a ceiling fan but this did not make it possible to sleep as the weather was very hot. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

This is Priceline's definition of a 4* hotel:

These are the world's deluxe hotels, offering premium level service and amenities for the most discerning traveler. These hotels typically offer appointments, bathrobes, mini-bars, and comprehensive business services. Deluxe-level hotels offer top-level amenities and room furnishings. Many cities do not have 4 Star hotels.

Was the air conditioning broke, didn't cool well enough, or does it simply not exist at this property?

I would definately email them about this and i would think you'll get some form of compensation.

Also, please post your winning bid info in the Canada section of the board... winning bids are the lifeline of a board such as this one.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

There are certainly an abundance of 4* hotels in Europe that do not have air conditioning, as many unfortunate people found out recently during the heat wave. However, I think European star ratings on Priceline might be different than US/Canada star ratings.

I've heard the Empress does not have air conditioning - and I think that's true of many hotels, maybe most, in Victoria. Usually the climate is so mild that they are not needed. Sorry to hear that you had a bad night.

It's worth finding out what Priceline has to say on the matter.

I've heard the Empress does not have air conditioning - and I think that's true of many hotels, maybe most, in Victoria. Usually the climate is so mild that they are not needed.

Actually, WillTravel, this is NOT the case. Most large hotels in Victoria definitely DO have air conditioning and it is clearly stated on the web sites for Laurel Point, Coast Harbourside, Hotel Grand Pacific, Ocean Pointe, etc.

I actually didn't know that the Empress has NO air conditioning in any of its rooms. I had to phone and ask them and they said no, only fans and windows that open. This is the hotel that royalty stays at! Did they bring in some air conditioning for their suites??!!

The Empress is a beautiful hotel and a historic landmark. But they do have some small rooms with no real view. And apparently no air conditioning! I agree, this seems bizarre. We definitely get warm or hot days in Victoria through the summer. And although I love windows that open and hate to use air conditioning, I certainly like to have the option!

By the way, Fairmont Ch

Well, the 1* Accent Inn you stayed at definitely has A/C. I have a friend who stays there now and again, and I phoned them to confirm that that is the case in all of their rooms. You probably just did not need to use it when you were here. :)

And the 1* Paul's Motor Inn has some rooms with A/C, but not all of them do.

I just find it bizarre that the Empress never upgraded to A/C. I know it's an historic building and probably has some age-related structural issues, but you'd think that they would have at least SOME rooms with A/C.

That's good to know about the A/C in Victoria, then, even at 1* hotels.

That makes the Empress situation even more ridiculous then, I agree! A few years ago I stayed at the Queen Elizabeth in Montreal, but I didn't notice the A/C because it was January then :)

Edit: I looked up Travellers Inn and the Dominion Hotel. Both of these also have A/C. (The Travellers Inn says they have it in "most" rooms.) That suggests that A/C is indeed the norm for Victoria at all levels, just as it is for most cities in North America.

Hello - I have stayed at the Empress in Victoria, as well as lived in the Seattle, WA area for 3 years - in both cases, no air conditioning. 99.9% of the time out there the summers are "perfect". You would not want to miss the opportunity to open the windows and let that cool, fresh air come into the room or into your home. Very occasionally I have experienced about a 2 week heat wave. People just use fans and know that it will be over soon. Sorry you hit one of those rare times when AC would be very nice.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]