Priceline Hotel: London Bidding Strategy

faithful96
By faithful96,
in

I've been trying to get the Thistle Marble Arch at $75, no dice.

Monday, November 14th is "rememberance day," so perhaps that has something to do with it.

We don't want to spend more than $100 a night with tax. Closer to $85, if possible.

We don't want to stay in these zones: The City, Hammersmith, London Bridge

Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks all.

I am thinking we'd like to be somewhat central, and would therefore prefer to not stay in the following zones: The City, Hammersmith, or London Bridge

Direct hotel prices for those dates:

Kensington - Earls Court - Knightsbridge

4 Star Millennium Gloucester - $205

Bloomsbury - Marble Arch

Russel Hotel - $233

Melia White House - $254

Marriott Marble Arch - $268

Westminster

Ruebens at the Palace - $270

Mayfair Soho

Thistle Royal Horseguards - $308

Raddisson Edwardian - $309

Also, are there any decent priceline 3-star hotels in London?

Thanks again,

-T

I can't do anything right, huh? Thought I did ok by reasearching the hotels and saying we just wanted to be central.

Central zones we'd consider:

Kensington - Earls Court - Knightsbridge, Bloomsbury - Marble Arch, Westminster, Mayfair Soho

Would prefer $85, but will pay $100 if we have to.

Blueskies: Thank you for the hotel tip!

I can't do anything right, huh? Thought I did ok by reasearching the hotels and saying we just wanted to be central.

Just trying to avoid any mistakes...

Notice that (Notting Hill - Bayswater) and (Regents Park - Baker Street) were not listed in the zones that you don't want, yet they're also not listed in the zones that are acceptable to you... should we include these zones in a bidding stratetgy for you?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You seem to be offended, but i'm simply trying to clarify exactly what it is that you are seeking.

I'd hope that by reading my explanation above you could see how i could be confused.... still not clear on which zones you're willing to bid (and i'm not so sure anyone else is either).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Faithful,

Do you mean that you no longer require a strategy? I think you would be better to check this as thereuare does know what he is talking about and just needs clarity so that he can give you best advice rather than half baked strategy. He is patient and we appreciate that here. I must admit that I was unclear when I read your post and just assumed you only wanted to bid in the zones you listed hotels in but as Thereuare points out there are others you have not mentioned positively or negatively.

Good luck

Blueskies

• 2 weeks later...

The update on this quest is as follows:

As I started bidding, I began to wonder if my lack of success is partially based on the following?

1- Monday, November 14th is Rememberance Day?

2- We do not have the benefit of a Friday Night?

Bids for 5* as follows (just for the heck of it):

Bid set 1 - Mayfair/Soho ($145 counter offered at $283), Added Westminster ($150 counter offered at $283)

Bids for 4* are as follows:

Bid set 1- Bloomsbury/Marble Arch ($65 Rejected), Added Westminster ($70 Rejected), Added Mayfair/Soho ($72 Rejected)

Bid set 2 - Bloomsbury/Marble Arch ($75 Rejected), Added Mayfair/Soho ($78 Rejected)

Bid set 3 - Bloomsbury/Marble Arch ($80 Rejected), Couldn't add additional zones as our DSL went down

Bid set 4 - Bloomsbury/Marble Arch ($65 Rejected), Added Westminster ($75 bid counter offered at $127), Added Mayfair/Soho ($78 bid counter offered at $127)

Bid set 5 - Bloomsbury/Marble Arch ($75 Rejected), Added Mayfair/Soho ($80 Rejected), More DSL issues grrr. Should bid at work instead!

Bid set 6 - Westminster ($65 bid counter offered at $127)

---then - Bloomsbury Marble Arch ($80 Rejected)

---then - Mayfair/Soho ($95 Rejected)

---then - Westminster, Bloomsbury/Marble Arch ($85 bid counter offered at $127)

---then - Westminster, Mayfair/Soho, Bloomsbury Marble Arch ($100 bid counter offered at $127)

Conclusions/Thoughts/Questions:

1- I sarted in Bloomsbury/Marble Arch (months ago) hoping to get that fantastic Thistle Marble Arch rate. For some reason, the low rates for the Thistle Marble Arch that we keep seeing are not available for my dates.

2- I kept going back to Bloomsbury and bidding low because the rates for the Thistle Bloomsbury were consistently low on the Thistle site.

3- Could I get a deal between $65-$85 if I wait till closer to the date? Will hotels offer up additional inventory and lower prices as the date gets closer?

4- Or should I attempt a bid at $110 as $100 was rejected and $127 is the consistent counter offer?

5- The counter offer of $127 came up only when I added in the Westminster zone. Any guesses as to what Westminster hotel that is?

6- The Mayfair/Soho zone feels like a no-go (for my dates) under $100.

And because this has become a sickness...

Hotel rates in my preferred zones as of yesterday (taken directly from the hotels web sites):

Mayfair / Soho

$361 - Sheraton Park Lane

$252 - Thistle Royal Horse

$415 - Marriott Grovesner

$238 - Millenium Mayfair

$311 - Waldorf Hilton

$318 - Thistle Charing Cross

$293 - Washington Mayfair Hotel

$357 - Kingsway Hall

$221 - Holiday Inn Mayfair

$281 - Berners Hotel

Marble Arch / Bloomsbury

$309 - Radisson Edwardian Marlboroug

$405 - Thistle Marble Arch

$316 - Marriott Marble Arch

$281 - Sherlock Holmes Hotel

$205 - Hilton London Euston

$263 - White House Hotel

$298 - Novatel

$232 - Russel Hotel

$238 - Thistle Bloomsbury

Westminster

$290 - Dolphin Square

$247 - Ruebens at the Palace

$212 - Grange Rochester

$387 - Jolly St Ermims

$185 - Marriott Country Hall

$233 - Victoria Park Plaza

$245 - Crown Plaza St. James

Sheesh, this turned out to be a very long post! Any suggestions moving forward? Right now, I am looking for a 4* in either Bloomsbury/Marble Arch, Mayfair/Soho, and Westminster. As we get closer to the date, I will include Kensington/Earls Court/Knightsbridge and Regents Park/Baker Street.

We don't mind switching hotels, actually.

What is the logic behind the idea of switching? Just easier if we split the bid?

I wonder if I could successfully bid Nov 13-16 and then try to add a night (for Saturday)?

I've looked at Lastminute.com and Hotwire.com. The rates were coming up very high for my dates. I also tried LondonTown.com. However, I have not given them a shot with just Nov 13-16.

The makings of a plan are forming here..

Thank you WillTravel.

One hotel might have availability for Nov. 13-16, but not for the Saturday night (at least at your bid prices). It's quite likely that if you do succeed with Nov. 13-16 at a lower price, that Saturday may require a higher price.

The fact that Lastminute and Hotwire are coming up with very high rates suggests there might be a reason the prices are so high and that Priceline is harder for your dates.

Ok, it's Monday (11/14) and Tuesday (11/15) that I believe is causing me the problem. Most of the hotels I've checked have significant price increases for Monday and Tuesday.

So perhaps the best course of action is to split my bid to November 12/13 and November 14/15? It's not our first choice, but we are working within a budget.

We got stuck in London last year during a Bank Holiday, whatever that is. So I took Marriott Maiden Vale and got a cheap rate - I am thinking about $60. I could find nothing during the 2 day high rate period of our stay and ended up at Heathrow. It was a bit of a nuisance but we were at the Sheraton, a very nice hotel. And it certainly beat paying $300 plus a night for a hotel.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]