Priceline Hotel: Help with 3.5*+ In Times Square/Midtown West 9/19-9/23

JonathanK
By JonathanK,
in

I'm going to be traveling to NYC for the first time, and have tickets to a show on Broadway. Would love to stay in the general Times Square area just because of all the stuff that happens there. Looking at 9/19 and departing 9/23. I'm not sure if this is a busy time for NYC or not, so I have no idea where to even start bidding. I'd like atleast a 3.5* but definitely prefer higher if possible. I'd like to start at say $125, but is that too low? I saw someone who got the Sheraton for $120. That would be perfect, but I know different times of the year affects price. As always I've clicked the links to search. I hope someone here has an idea where to even begin. Thanks!

This is one of the busier times of year in NYC (from around mid-September through mid-December), so rates are going to be higher -than-average. What would be your desired max bid per night?

Additionally, in terms of Times Square, I'd recommend reading this thread: Hotels Near Times Square. While arguably the Times Square area is popular, it's also the most crowded and expensive. Nearby zone/s are cheaper and still convenient.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I think your budget may be a little tough but if you wan to give it a try, please confirm if all of the following zones are acceptable:

MTW, TS, ESB, Chelsea, MSG

NOTE i have not included the following:

MTE - some hotels can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway

CPS - at the 3.5* and under the Hudson Hotel becomes an option and they have notoriously small rooms (even by NYC standards)

If either of the above are acceptable conditions let us know and we can include these in your bidding.

Lastly, HOTWIRE has a 3.5* hotel in the MSG zone for $229/nite that i suspect is the Yotel Times Square. If this is the best alternative you have (do you have any better back-up plan) do you want to increase your 3.5* PRICELINE bidding a little over $200 (and closer to $229) or do you only want to bid up to $200 at this point in time?

Let us know the above and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

There is only one 'known' hotel in the Hell's Kitchen zone (Ink 48) and while it is a very well reviewed property, it is not the most convenient location. It's certainly do-able, but if you're looking for a great location this isn't it, so it depends upon your needs for this trip and if the lesser location would be worth the trade-off for a very well reviewed property.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I can't do that then. Thank you for letting me know. I'm sure as many tourists go, we won't have a car. So subway/public transportation/walking will be our only means of getting around. We have tickets to multiple musicals, and then our plan is to just go around Times Square and the surrounding areas. We want to try and be as close as we can to the "action" but without paying an arm and a leg for the hotel.

There's so much to do in NYC in general - from downtown to Central Park. Times Square is the most popular and well-known, but there are great sites and places of interest scattered throughout all of Manhattan. You're going in a time that's most likely going to be really good weather-wise, so while a lot of walking is to be expected in NYC (and personally, I think that's part of the fun of NYC - you walk and find a cool store and then walk and find a cool restaurant and before you know it you've walked quite a few miles), temps should be relatively nice for doing so.

Is the Yotel TS mentioned above for $229 of any interest?

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

So to confirm, a 3.5* in the MTW, TS, ESB, Chelsea, MSG zones with a maximum bid of $200? If this is correct, you can try as follows:

Select 3.5* MTW and TS...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* Chelsea and MSG...

Select 3.5* ESB...

Select 3.5* Chelsea and TS...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MTW and MSG...

Select 3.5* ESB and Chelsea...

Select 3.5* MSG and TS...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* Chelsea and MTW...

Select 3.5* ESB and MSG...

Select 3.5* MTW and TS and ESB...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MTW and TS and Chelsea...

Select 3.5* MTW and TS and MSG...

Select 3.5* ESB and Chelsea and MSG...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* ESB and Chelsea and MTW...

Select 3.5* ESB and Chelsea and TS...

Select 3.5* MTW and TS and ESB and Chelsea...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MTW and TS and ESB and MSG...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Chelsea and MSG and MTW and TS...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Chelsea and MSG and MTW and ESB...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Chelsea and MSG and MTW and TS and ESB...

Bid $160

If the above is rejected (which i think is likely) wait 24 hours and try again, once again starting with this PRICELINE link from the board:

Select 3.5* MTW and TS...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* Chelsea and MSG...

Select 3.5* ESB...

Select 3.5* Chelsea and TS...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MTW and MSG...

Select 3.5* ESB and Chelsea...

Select 3.5* MSG and TS...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* Chelsea and MTW...

Select 3.5* ESB and MSG...

Select 3.5* MTW and TS and ESB...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MTW and TS and Chelsea...

Select 3.5* MTW and TS and MSG...

Select 3.5* ESB and Chelsea and MSG...

Bid $185, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* ESB and Chelsea and MTW...

Select 3.5* ESB and Chelsea and TS...

Select 3.5* MTW and TS and ESB and Chelsea...

Bid $190, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* MTW and TS and ESB and MSG...

Bid $190, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Chelsea and MSG and MTW and TS...

Bid $195, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Chelsea and MSG and MTW and ESB...

Bid $195, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Chelsea and MSG and MTW and TS and ESB...

Bid $200

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Just to clarify, you can make all of the bids above on the same day... if bidding as indicated, the above should all be permissible and not create any duplicate bid message.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Keep us updated on your progress.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried the bids listed multiple times, and couldn't get anything. Even went down to 3* at $200 and still nothing for my desired dates. Just wanted to follow-up stating that I booked direct for a hotel near Newark Airport. I wanted TS but just couldn't justify the $300 cost per night. Thanks everybody for the help. Wish I could have gotten something, I may still try bidding up until my trip, but not feeling like $200 is a do-able price.

It's not that one day is substantially cheaper then the others, but you may be able to get a deal for Fri-Mon (typically the slower days of the week in NYC) and then a different property for Thursday nite.

For example:

9/20-9/23

4* MTE for $255/nite - 10% using the discount code link in my signature = $230/nite room rate

3.5* Downtown $189/nite - 10% using the discount code link in my signature = $171/nite

9/19-9/20

3* Times Square for $240/nite

3.5* MTE for $242/nite

--> Either of these, combined with the 3.5* Downtown hotel above, would come in at at an average room rate of less than $200/nite

Downtown may not be your first choice of zone, but it would be better than staying by Newark Airport, imo. If you stay by Newark, will you have a car and/or how would you commute into the city?

Your thoughts on the above?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board. (and please click each of these previous links before replying)

Thanks.

PS- i'll add that what appears to be the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor (in the Jersey City-Hoboken-Weehawken zone) can be had for your complete stay for $158/nite. I think the NYC hotels above would be a better option, but if you're not willing to change hotels, then this would be a better option then Newark.

The lady I'm staying with really wants Times Square, and pretty much has her heart set on staying there. She doesn't like the Wyndham Garden whatsoever, but is only okay with it due to the substantially low cost. She really wants something nice. Like Cassa or whatnot in TS.

As for transportation, we have none. We're figuring to do bus/subway and whatever other public transportation to get us from Newark to NYC each day. The problem with that, is some of the evenings we know we'll be out quite late. And that is a huge concern. She prefers TS due to the central location, and the fact we can always get back and freshen-up before heading out again.

For those prices, I doubt she'll be okay with Downtown either. It boils down to making her happy. That's why I'm still trying to find something nicer in TS.

The lady I'm staying with really wants Times Square, and pretty much has her heart set on staying there.
Has she ever been to NYC... as a little bit of education can go a long way here. If you/she decides that it has to be Times Square, then you'll need to make a decision between what you want and what it costs.

Speaking of cost, you need to consider how you will commute to NYC, as depending upon what you want to sacrifice (time or money) it may not save you that much in the long run. There are a few ways to mix up each of the following which can add/subtract a little to cost/time:

1) shuttle bus to Newark Airport (free) --> Shuttle bus from Airport to New York Port Authority (~$15 per person each way)

==> this is one of your quickest methods (traffic dependent... Lincoln Tunnel traffic can be a crap shoot and really bad traffic can delay you up to an hour). NOTE that this will add $60 round trip to your stay each day for two people traveling... not to mention that you have to wait for the hotel shuttle to arrive to take you to/from the airport, as well as the bus from the airport to NYC (they leave frequently but even waiting 10 minutes can seem like awhile when you're sitting on a bus staring at airport passengers). Without traffic you're likely looking at 45-90 minutes depending how you time the shuttles and if minor traffic.

2) you can do above but instead of shuttle to Port Authority you can take the train to Newark Penn Station which removes the unknown traffic issue, but this could ultimately take a bit longer since you know have to take (and wait) for another mode of transportation (hotel shuttle --> train to Newark Penn Station --> PATH train to New York Penn Station). Round trip cost for two people per day: $30. There are also Amtrak trains which offer quicker service but also a bit more expensive.

3) shuttle bus to Newark Airport --> NJ transit bus to Newark Penn Station --> PATH train to NYC

==> this is the cheapest route but can also take 90-120 minutes each way

The bottomline is that, regardless of price, you'll likely be commuting close to one hour each way... that's almost 2 hours (or more) each day of vacation time out of your day.

As you can see, I think it would be a mistake to stay at Newark Airport and plan on commuting to Manhattan each day... Downtown is a perfectly viable option in this situation, imo, especially if you will be out late at nite and commuting back late at nite/early hours of the morning.

However, your trip and your money (and your girlfriend), so the ultimately decision has to be yours.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]