Hotels Near Times Square

thereuare
By thereuare,
in

I want a hotel near Times Square...

We hear this a LOT on the board, and we often end up re-typing the same advice over and over again, so we're creating this thread and will point users to this thread for our thoughts on the subject...

Although most think of Times Square as the 'heart' of NYC, and it is the center geographically, it is extremely likely this is NOT where you will spending most of your time. The lights of Times Square are great to see and we do recommend you visit to experience it, but other than this (and possibly waiting on line at the TKTS booth), you won't likely be spending time in this area.

Some may read the above and think, "even though you think i won't be spending much of my time there, i want to be centrally located, so this is the best location". However, NYC is compact enough, and mass transit (subways, busses, and taxis) cheap and readily available, that just about any midtown location (MidtownEast, MidtownWest, and UpperMidtown/CentralParkSouth) should give you a 'central location' and serve the typical visitor's needs well.

It's your vacation so only you can decide if you want to take the above advice, and we're not suggesting that you avoid Times Square, but the sidewalks are usually extremely crowded and it's not necessarily an area we would suggest trying to target for a hotel stay... as per the above, it just isn't necessary.

SUGGESTED ADDITIONAL READING: NYC Priceline Zone Descriptions

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Thereuare is so right. I visit New York often and there is no place I dislike more then Times Square. I call it a "fishbowl" because it is extremely crowded and congested.

You know the saying, it's a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there? That's Times Square. After staying in Times Square once (Crown Plaza) I never have again. It was just insane walking out the front door. There are much nicer areas to stay in that are more convenient.

• 4 years later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]