Wedding Rate at Hotel -HELP!

Shea77
By Shea77,
in

Under Priceline Pennsylvania I recently posted my winning bid for Philly Suburbs. This is for the night before my friend's wedding since I'm from out of town I wanted to get there early, plus I'm in the Bridal Party. (The wedding and reception are in this hotel) The night after the wedding I did not yet book. The rate for the wedding guests is $112.00 for Friday night. I spent $55.00 for Thursday night through Priceline and want to try the "add a night" feature that Priceline hotels sometimes allow.

My question is - is it rude for me to be in the wedding party and book my room through Priceline instead of through the hotel using the wedding rate as was instructed in the wedding invitation? I am assuming all of the wedding guests will be in the same section of the hotel but I don't care about that part. I just didn't know if this would be considered rude to "bargain shop." By the way, I am on a tight budget - I'm not cheap!

Your advice is welcome - even if you tell me I'm rude to even consider it!

Thanks!!!!

If you have no requirements apart from a standard room then I would book the Priceline rate. You will probably never be in your room anyway.

Just don't spoil the rest of the guests day by letting them in on your secret. I don't think anyone will tell on you and if they do it just shows you are smart and an informed traveller. I don't think it's in any way rude.

Hope the add-a-night works.

I don't think it's in any way rude.

It can pose difficulties for the wedding party if you do not book directly, at the party rate, depending on the circumstances. If the wedding (or convention, or retreat, etc.) is being held at the same hotel, your wedding (or convention, retreat, etc.) hosts negotiated a price with the hotel not only for the rooms, but for the facilities, bar service, assembly halls, decorating, catering, and so on. One way the hotel keeps the overall cost down to the organizers is to subsidize the whole affair with a "special" room rate that is somewhat higher than it needs to be. In many cases, if the event is poorly attended, or the guests/participants book rooms elsewhere, the organizers (the wedding family, in this case) are billed a surcharge, because they've guaranteed the hotel a minimum occupancy, and blocked rooms. This is not always the case, but it is sometimes the case--even if the room-block has expired because the event is nearing.

If your host specifically asked you to book your room at the wedding rate, then yes indeed, it could be seen as quite rude (and could be considered rather unethical) to partake in the festivities without helping to pay your share, via the room rate. Rather like bringing a bag lunch to a restaurant to dine with your friends, while requiring those friends to pay your minimum-service-fee.

If you can't afford to attend the wedding as invited, then you should just mail your gift and stay home.

At this point, perhaps you should inquire with the hosts as to whether they've met the occupancy requirements of their agreement with the hotel. If so, at least you can sleep a little more comfortably. But if not, then I don't think you should book via priceline or hotwire, but rather do as your host requested.

I don't think it's in any way rude.

An invitation is not an obligation, I always say.....

I would definately not inquire of my hosts if they have met their "minimum room" obligation to the hotel...I think asking your host "how many rooms have you booked" is rude! The host is not paying for the room, so if Shea decides to book at the "negotiated" rate or through another means, so be it. The only difficulties that this poses is if Shea shares the "win" with the others in the wedding party. Most of the rooms in suburban hotels are empty during the weekends and if a hotel lets a room go to Priceline at $55 (for which they probably get a $45-50 remittance) then why would they charge a wedding party $112 per night? This isn't a corporate event, so I really doubt that a suburban Philly hotel would impose a minimum occupancy for a wedding.

BTW, the cost to be in a wedding party is beyond outrageous, gifts, bridal shower, bachelorette party, the tacky bridesmaid gowns that will never be worn again, so if Shea can save a few $$ on a room, all the better!

Shea77, my advice is: Mums the word, keep your PL "win" to yourself

• 1 month later...

Just a follow up - I booked the 2nd night using the Wedding Rate. It was only $20.00 more than the Priceline offer of $83. for the 2nd night and this way I was on the official bride's list of people that the hotel gave to her so she knew who was staying over. It all worked out.

TeaEarleGreyHot: Sorry, but I laughed when you said it would be "unethical" though, also, the bride is my best friend and I know for a fact that she had about 50 guests staying over so that was never an issue. Unethical - LOL!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]